All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 19-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
N97 mini wins 'Best Mobile Handset' award

The GSM Association has announced the winners of the Asia Mobile Awards 2009, with the Nokia N97 mini walking away with the only hardware award, that of 'Best Mobile Handset'. It has been a good month for the 'mini' - you may remember it was named no. 1 in my Phones Show Autumn 2009 'Top 5' as well. And, I suspect, there are a few more awards to come from various corners. Watch this space.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:35 PM

30dirtybirds is on a distinguished road
This confuses me...

The N97 Mini, is a cut down version of the N97, how comes the Mini is "award winning" but everyone bemoans the N97?

I have an N97 and always have thought of it as the best phone on the market. Never understood the negativity.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30dirtybirds View Post
This confuses me...

The N97 Mini, is a cut down version of the N97, how comes the Mini is "award winning" but everyone bemoans the N97?

I have an N97 and always have thought of it as the best phone on the market. Never understood the negativity.
If the features of the N97 best fit your particular requirements then of course it is the best phone for you.

I like it too, but find it a little bit large. Therefore the mini is better for me.

However, it is not fashionable in "the west" to like Nokia products. In Asia they appreciate the ability to input with a stylus. This is why Nokia continue to ship millions and confound all the bitter haters.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:47 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Talking

Surely it has to be the iPhone 3Gs - with its improved 3Mp camera that does away with need for flash, avoids the misery that is multi-tasking or swappable battery, shields its users from the horror of the file explorer and is firmly under the control of the tech version of Ben Mussolini.

Steve Litchfield and Rafe Blanchard, you guys are such fanboys!!. Did nobody ever tell you that Nokia is doomed ?

Old 19-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Wait. The N97 Mini is the best? How can this be decided when the phone is not even released globally? The N97 is a seriously large piece of crap. I guess that would make the N97 Mini a turd. The iPhone is marginally better but it functions quite well for the purpose that it is suited and marketed. Whomever decided the Mini is the best is an idiot.
Ads

Old 19-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Nobody cares that you ranked this #1 Steve. Get over yourself!

Old 19-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Unregistered

no way n97mini is best omniahd is way better

Old 19-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

It's official. After the previous three 'Unregistered' posts, I think I can safely say that anyone who hides behind not having to log in and be named doesn't deserve to even have their opinion listened to. So I'm going to ignore them.

Old 19-11-2009, 05:05 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
It's official. After the previous three 'Unregistered' posts, I think I can safely say that anyone who hides behind not having to log in and be named doesn't deserve to even have their opinion listened to. So I'm going to ignore them.
FINALLY!!! Now go lean harder on Rafe to make AAS (and AAM) login only.

BTW, he didn't name the mini #1, he named the N97 #1, but had to admit it didn't deserve it.

See? I'm a PITA, but don't hide behind anonymity...

Old 19-11-2009, 05:37 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Yep, now we all know that those views were of UKJeeper, you know that fella that lives in.. err.. well, that is as handsome as.. err...

Old 19-11-2009, 08:00 PM
SBitchfield

I can't believe that Steve threw his toys out and handed the unreg's an easy victory.

Registered or unregistered, big deal. Maybe the forum should go reg only and leave a few geeks to have a little clique.

Or you could accept that people have opinions that you don't agree with.

Old 19-11-2009, 08:03 PM
UKCreep

What is the difference between a person who posts as unregistered and one that uses a silly pseudonym?

Answer: nothing.

Yes, that means you UKJeeper.

Old 19-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

" you could accept that people have opinions that you don't agree with."

I fully accept that and welcome criticism. But not from cowards who hide behind 'Unregistered' without even being brave enough to give a nickname...

Old 19-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Mini design fault?

I've had my N97 mini for a day now and I have had some issues with its design and software. I noticed at work today that when placed on a desk with the screen open, the phone wobbles when one uses the keyboard, falls over if you touch the screen too (unless one holds it). The former is due to the absence of a small raised area on the back of the phone under the top speaker.

Try placing your N87 mini on a desk and lightly touch the shift key, did it wobble - poor design?

I solved this with a small blob of bluetack, not a long term solution though.

I do hope the designer tried this device, rather than just admiring their work on a CAD system - real world testing might help.

As for contacts and agenda functions and ease of use, looks like I'll be still using my P900 in work - shame.

Steve

Old 19-11-2009, 09:36 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wait. The N97 Mini is the best? How can this be decided when the phone is not even released globally? The N97 is a seriously large piece of crap. I guess that would make the N97 Mini a turd. The iPhone is marginally better but it functions quite well for the purpose that it is suited and marketed. Whomever decided the Mini is the best is an idiot.
the n97 sucks. but the n97 mini is a great little phone, and certainly my next phone. the n97 and n97 mini are very different phones. the mini is a solid device. the n97 is just bad.