All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia Messaging IM Beta goes to 2.0

Nokia Beta Labs 'IM Beta', part of the Nokia Messaging 'empire', previously only available for the E75, has now been upgraded to v2.0 and also supports the E71 and E63, according to the Beta Labs blog. Version 2.0 also adds support for Google Talk, in addition to the existing Yahoo Messenger and Ovi systems. You can investigate Nokia Messaging IM Beta here.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Yet another example of Nokia-branded software that only works on a very small subset of devices. Is it just me, or does this send out all the wrong signals regarding software compatibility across S60...?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yet another example of Nokia-branded software that only works on a very small subset of devices. Is it just me, or does this send out all the wrong signals regarding software compatibility across S60...?
Don't you know what 'beta' means in the context of new pre-release software?????

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation E71 does not work

Just tried to install the app for my E71 and i get a file error notification! Nokia sucks!!!!

Second thing: i just wanted to have a look at the app and compare it to Nimbuzz, its totally useless to me since it only supports ovi yahoo and google talk.. i need msn, skype and facebook support!!! Wake up nokia, Nimbuzz has support from all of them and many many more months ago!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

"Don't you know what 'beta' means in the context of new pre-release software?????"

Of course I do, but that's hardly the point. What this continual release of individual, device-specific versions of the same application does show is that maybe S60 is not as easy to develop for as it should be.

Presumably you're expecting a new beta version for every device, hardly what one would call the most logical way of approaching software development...

I personally would expect most software written for a particular version of S60 (ie. v3 FP 1 etc.) to run on all, or at least most, of the devices running that version of S60, not only one or two.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

OK, it was first released as an early beta for the E75 only. Now it can be installed on E71 and E63. The first release only supported a couple of message services, and now another has been added.

The software is still being developed, tested and its functionality expanded. Why are people demanding everything all at once in early pre-release software that is provided for trial and feedback only?

Before people start whining and moaning that it doesn't do this and doesn't run on that they should wait for the software to be finished and released.

I'm sure Nokia are very sorry that they didn't choose YOUR device and support YOUR message client first.

Jeez.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

It's not S60 or Symbian that is the problem, it's the variety of hardware.

Symbian and S60 are no more or less difficult to develop for, if the developer is reasonably capable (like any professional should at least be). There are a range of devices and it is necessary to pick a suitable target device to do the first development, and use flexible methods particularly with display size to begin with and then once the core work has been done expand the supported formats and fucntionality.

I would see having a variety of devices that suit different needs, with different screen sizes, price points and functionality as an advantage for most buyers making a choice, even if there is less choice of applications available as a consequence, most users are happy with the phone out of the box.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

"OK, it was first released as an early beta for the E75 only. Now it can be installed on E71 and E63. The first release only supported a couple of message services, and now another has been added.

The software is still being developed, tested and its functionality expanded. Why are people demanding everything all at once in early pre-release software that is provided for trial and feedback only?"

I wasn't actually demanding anything, if you bothered to read what I wrote.

"Before people start whining and moaning that it doesn't do this and doesn't run on that they should wait for the software to be finished and released."

My observation was a general one that Nokia have a tendency to release software in a piecemeal fashion, which I don't understand.

"I'm sure Nokia are very sorry that they didn't choose YOUR device and support YOUR message client first."

I have no interest in this particular application, so am not particularly bothered that it doesn't run on MY device.

"Jeez."

Blimey, calm down why don't you...

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Blimey, calm down why don't you...
Perfectly calm thanks. In fact amused at how rapidly you are backing out LOL!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Not quite sure what you mean by "backing out"?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have no interest in this particular application, so am not particularly bothered that it doesn't run on MY device.
Not even interested in the application and yet...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Attila is on a distinguished road
:d

So cute when Unregistered gets into a fight with him/herself!

and yes, Unregistered, I do share your sentiment - Nokia have been making a fool of themselves for the best part of the last decade. They keep making marginally different handsets which run on a funky OS with backwards compatibility broken on a regular basis so when you see that software produced won't even run on handsets with the same series and feature pack numbers, you just laugh (or cry, depending on your level of involvement)
It's messing with developers who need to put extra work into their products to make them work and it's messing with customers who hope to use the applications they like when they move on to new handsets. nothing is meant to work on older handsets and nothing aims to work on future ones. I must be getting old, because this "let's serve the minute-men" mentality is becoming ever so irritating... :/

I guess when all these features that "need" a separate application now will be available through the phones' browser a new and better world will arrive

ps: I'm sure you all know about NGage2, OVI launch etc and we all share the view about buying Beta bread or building Beta houses, yet it's better just to ignore my little whine because I'm perfectly aware that nothing will ever change as long as phones are not worth keeping at the end of a contract AND you are given a new one "for free" with a new contract anyway. there is just no point.

Last edited by Attila; 10-09-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-09-2009, 01:21 PM

christexaport is on a distinguished road
I think you guys keep forgetting something. Beta means limiting the install base on purpose while making sure things get ironed out. It is wise, and better than limiting it to a limited number of users, which would upset others.

What I wonder is whether this version is a Java midlet or a native app. Anyone have any idea?
Ads

Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

@ attila

"So cute when Unregistered gets into a fight with him/herself!"

Nope, definitely 2 different "Unregistered"s.

Glad you agree with me about this stupid device specificity that Nokia seem so keen on...

@ malerocks

"Not even interested in the application and yet... "

If you'd read my posts you'd have seen that I wasn't discussing the application itself but about the way in which Nokia develops its software.

My belief is that Nokia are having huge problems with their device FW for exactly this reason...

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

OK so maybe Nokia should drop every device that it sells and just concentrate on selling one.

Which one would you choose?

For me it would be the 5800.