All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Previous post, kinetic scrolling is in the popup menus and gallery, and in all lists but not in the icon menus in either grid or list form. There is a form of kinetic scrolling in the browser which was always there - a sort of reduced effect scrolling, where it doesn't move as far on one swipe, but doesn't need scroll bars as the lists did on pre v40 phones. This browser scrolling of course applies in all the WRT widget type apps.

Actually, if you are used to 5800 UI as it was before, it was quite easy to get around, and this update brings no significant benefit. It's fun though.

Old 14-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs View Post
I have just installed v40 but not able to get the shortcuts bar or contacts bar to work on my 5800. When I set either option my phone just reverts to basic. Has anyone else had this problem or anyone have any ideas to fix this please?
My phone is hacked and did a full reset hoping that this may help.
Under settings-personal-homescreen you need to go into Home Screen option and set both check boxes for Contacts Bar and Shortcuts.

Then under Home Screen Theme you need to set it to Contacts Bar (check mark).

My phone was hacked against certificates and product code changed to Euro 1. Of course, reloading the firmware unhacks the helloox effect and I don't think it can be hacked again until a new version of helloox appears.

Product codes changes are still just as simple as ever. Jaf - read code, type the new code, write code, done.

Old 14-01-2010, 07:54 AM

thx84 is on a distinguished road
hate that update!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush3090 View Post
the update includes -
*Kinetic scrolling (not in menu)
*New 5530/x6 like Homescreen
*new sw-update application
*Ovi contacts integrated
*"phone switch" located directly in settings
*if you rotate the phone horizontally, QWERTY keyboard automatically gets activated
*better stability
I've seen your video, my 5800 doesn't work like that. On the HS, I have the new contact bar, but not the shortcuts. I see four areas on the bottom, but I can't use them. In settings, I have no possibilities to have both contact bar AND shortcuts.
Also I cannot click on Phone from the HS, and I cannot access to the Ovi Store...
I love this upgrade :/

Old 14-01-2010, 08:53 AM

spaceprobe is on a distinguished road
I am in the same position has jpwbamber, I have an identical phone purschased from Nokia UK and still stuck on v21, so what update will we get and when. Countless e mails to Nokia have gone unanswered so how long should we wait before we hack? The 5800 is a great phone and I assume this update will really bring things on but Nokia's customer service is truly bad.

Old 14-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
I am in the same position has jpwbamber, I have an identical phone purschased from Nokia UK and still stuck on v21, so what update will we get and when. Countless e mails to Nokia have gone unanswered so how long should we wait before we hack? The 5800 is a great phone and I assume this update will really bring things on but Nokia's customer service is truly bad.
I don't have your patience. When I can't get an update due to the product code then I change it immediately. It's a very simple operation and completely safe.

The other option is to walk into a Nokia repair centre with your phone and ask them to do it for you.

I don't know the reason for the product code control that Nokia use, possibly it is to save them from too much liability if there was a fault in the new software, then they would only need to wory about a smaller proportion of phones. Possibly it is due to network provider requirements, or possibly to avoid a large download impact on the servers that supply the updates.

Old 14-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know the reason for the product code control that Nokia use, possibly it is to save them from too much liability if there was a fault in the new software, then they would only need to wory about a smaller proportion of phones. Possibly it is due to network provider requirements, or possibly to avoid a large download impact on the servers that supply the updates.
I could never understand why Nokia produces so many product codes (more than 50 just for 5800!).
I guess this is the old way of doing things, when Nokia was the king and could waste money on different Symbian versions for each phone and hundreds of product codes. This requires many more engineers and testers employed in they headquarters.

And all that gives zero benefit to customers (or opposite - many are disappointed, that there is no firmware for their product code).

I predict that when Symbian^3 or ^4 comes out, there will be one OS version for every phone and one product code with all languages (just like the iPhone). Or not, and Nokia will continue to decline mind and market shares...

Old 14-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Excellent

The update isn't out for the Norwegian version yet, so I changed the product code to Scandinavia Red (0559110) using NSS 1.0.38.15. Then the update became available. It all worked flawlessly, and the update is great. But I can't find that the need for double-tapping has been reduced anywhere, as Ewan stated in the article. Has anyone else found this? The kinetic scrolling and auto-switching of keyboards is great, just what I wanted. Also, I noticed that I now have about 6 MB more free space on the phone memory.

Old 14-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaxy View Post
a lot of others as well :(

At the place where the calendar usually is there is this wierd empty UI element, what's that supposed to mean?
Having lived with the V40 for a day, it does appear that the homescreen is a bit buggy. That empty element is where the email notifications appear, but despite it working at first, my notifications have gone leaving the element there.

Some people are having trouble with the contacts/shortcuts appearing too.

Anyone tried full hard reset?

Old 14-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

OK, home screen calender DOES work. I've figured it out, just needs configuring. In the home screen menu with shortcuts set, you get to choose from a list of home screen content:

Shortcuts
Search
Music Player
Radio
Calendar.

Check mark on the calendar item and your imminent appointments appear on the home screen.
Ads

Old 14-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy I give up

Nokia really have lost the plot, it's my last Nokia phone ever until they sort out this inconsistency across how you operate the phone. I now have to sometimes swipe the screen to answer a call or push a button, seemingly on a random basis and not having kinetic scrolling everywhere is just awkward (but appreciative of where they have put it in)
Sort it out Nokia, no wonder the world appears to be racing to Android! Bring on the Nexus One!

Old 14-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Great firmware

I was highly satisfied with firmware
nokia did a good job after a long wait!
i also added my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30RY4sumpOc
-tshrjain

Old 14-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nokia really have lost the plot, it's my last Nokia phone ever until they sort out this inconsistency across how you operate the phone. I now have to sometimes swipe the screen to answer a call or push a button, seemingly on a random basis and not having kinetic scrolling everywhere is just awkward (but appreciative of where they have put it in)
Sort it out Nokia, no wonder the world appears to be racing to Android! Bring on the Nexus One!
Yes, join the "rush". That will be in the imaginary world.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...xus_one_sales/

Android is turning out to be underwhelming.

Old 14-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

IF V40 IS NOT AVAILABLE TO YOU YET AND YOU WANT IT NOW:

(This is entirely at your own risk, and doing it will invalidate your warranty and if you do it wrong possibly break your phone..., so if you're not confident, WAIT - Nokia will give you V40 sooner or later. That said, this is reasonably simple).

Download and install NSS: http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS103815.zip

Follow the instructions at the following page to change the product code on your phone: http://thesymbianblog.com/2009/07/02...97-nokia-5800/

If you are in Europe, change it to: 0558982
If you are not in Europe, suggest you Google search for forums (or ask on forums) for people who are in your region, e.g. China, US or APAC, and who have a product code that allowed the v40 upgrade and can say what that code is. I read on another forum that if you enter a product code that is for a different region (e.g. Euro when you're in APAC) then because the baseband is different you will kill your phone and a Nokia service centre will not repair it).

If you find you get a read error when following the instructions to change product code, simply exit NSS, and then download and install and run the latest version of Nokia PC Suite. You will prob need a reboot after installation. Then re-run NSS and it should work (even on Windows 7 - mine did).

When you've changed the product code, run Nokia Software Updater (available free from Nokia) and it should say you can install v40 as an update.

Old 14-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, join the "rush". That will be in the imaginary world.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...xus_one_sales/

Android is turning out to be underwhelming.
Give it time!!!

Old 14-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Give it time!!!
iPhone didn't need time.