All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Parrothead is on a distinguished road
Gaaaa!! how to update firmware

How do I update the firmware on a 5800XM?? I understand there is a new version 40.xxxx (whatever) out advertised all over the internet. I have v21.2.025.

I try to update via the phone..nothing. I try to update via the PC Suite...nothing.

They both say the version I have is current. I don't get it.

Can someone give me some insight here?
Thanks

Old 19-01-2010, 01:32 AM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
What country are you in and/or what coutry did you buy the 5800 in.

Your username would tend to make me think US, but I could be wrong. We are up to v 31, not 40 yet.

For US, you would go to this page:

http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-...e/can-i-update

You would follow the instructions to find out what update yo can get based on your product code. If you are shown as needing an update, make sure you download the newest updater and install it before trying to get the update.

If you are not in the US, I am sure there is a similar page for other Nokia sites.

Old 19-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Parrothead is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info...Yes, I am in the US. So let me get this straight...a new firmware version is released, but the US doesn't get it right away? I guess I don't understand the logic. It's either released for this phone model, or it's not. Why do they have to make everything so friggin' complicated?

Old 19-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Thanks for the info...Yes, I am in the US. So let me get this straight...a new firmware version is released, but the US doesn't get it right away? I guess I don't understand the logic. It's either released for this phone model, or it's not. Why do they have to make everything so friggin' complicated?
That's not how it works. Remember, Nokia sells units all over the world and there are differences between units in different regions. They roll-out the updates by product code over time --probably also helps not kill their servers. UK usually gets it before US, just as they tend to get hardware before US, IIRC. Don't take it so personally.

You should, however, be able to upgrade to v31 if your 5800 is a NAM model.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:16 PM

jj71 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure who got v40 first. I know (from personal experience) that UK orange customers with the silver/black version of the phone didn't. Fair enough though. Nokia makes the firmware, passes it to the operators who tweak it to fit their needs before we get it. Some operators spend more time / money on this than others, I'm sure. It's just a commercial decision, Parrothead, nothing personal.

For my part, I reset my handset product code using the advice toward the bottom of this thread, then plugged into the pc updater thing and it went to v40 without drama. Except the product code I picked was for the euro red version (my mistake, didn't see a black version) and so there are lots of big red moments when I click buttons etc! It's a bit of fun though, isn't it? If that's the sort of thing that's going to wind you up, better to stick with the usual update path rather than trying to push it along perhaps. That said, with v40, the way it switched to qwerty when I rotate the text input screen is much better and I do think the gps is connecting better. People report extra memory after upgrade but that may be because the upgrade switched the phone off and on (clearing various caches).

Old 27-01-2010, 01:15 PM

badgerdid is on a distinguished road
Update firmware

I had this problem, wouldnt let me update from v21 to v40
so i followed the directions here and it worked fine

http://www.nottinghamjazz.co.uk/blog/?p=66
Ads