Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
umarnagi

N97 mini

Can't update my n97 mini ????
my product code is 0591466
why is that so .....?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
umarnagi, the update is out for just the n97 as of now, not yet for the n97 mini. Should be out soon though. Patience

Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
umarnagi

@malerocks
yeah but i have seen some people getting their n97 mini updated...!!!
anyhow i'll wait... :(

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Sorry for this beginner question, but new to using ota updates. I usually just connect it to the pc to update but seemed to have left my microusb cord somewhere. It shows up on sw update for me but I can't actually get it to start updating. Does anyone think they know what I am doing wrong? I tried to see if the other things on the update start dling if I selected them and it did. It seems to only be the phone software.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

This better not be the last firmware for the summer!!

considering that I got this firmware 4 weeks early when I sent in my N97-NAM for the lens and GPS fix (finally!!), I'll just assume that v30 is still coming.

Anyways, Steve, when you stated "you'll initially have 55MB free on disk C: and almost 60MB of free RAM" that's really only start up. it still seems like RAM will settle at 37MB after opening and closing the Camera app and Nokia Maps a few times, so they still have some deep-rooted problems to work out. Also, the stupid Nokia default ringtone bug still exists, how very eff-ing annoying :P

-Gene

Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM

j d is on a distinguished road
Nokia Messaging is now installed as part of the ROM, which is good.

But it seems to be having trouble with my password, again. I dont know what is wrong, but considering my "nokia messaging password" cant be different to gmail one its not my bloody fault.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
frank dubois

5 times? Lucky you with an N97!

Steve wrote:

5 times? Isn't that enough? Mind you, I do wish the Ovi Store people would up that limit.... very annoying.

Well for most phones, yes.

For the N97, no. Which is the reason most hardcore N97 users know the hard reset keyboard combo (shift-space-delete) off by heart by now!

By Christmas I was already having to email Ovi customer support for extra downloads (which, to their credit they sorted out) because my N97 had had to be hard reset more than 5 times in the first 5 months of ownership.

Each time it was a case of downloads/installs from Ovi store stalling or failing and the phone then white-screening and refusing to switch on after a reboot. Being so sick of hard resetting and emailing Ovi support, for 3 months I struggled by using the "hold-the-on-button-down-for-60-seconds-whilst-plugged-into-the-mains" method, much to the amusement of my treacherous friends who looked pityingly across from the comfort of their iPhones and Android machines.

In contrast, in 18months my N95 required two hard resets, both technically my fault due to installing beta software at my own risk.

Am looking forward to the update sorting the "Nokia tune bug" as there's nothing worse than being out in public and that theme blaring out from your pocket: it screams "ANNOYING IDIOT!" in much the same way an email signature including the line "Sent from my iPhone" does

Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

hard reset

Donīt forget the old *#7370# to hard reset your N97...
Ads

Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Updates for the mini are available now. I just updated mine... exploring it now...

Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

walmark is on a distinguished road
So, v12 for an unbranded mini 0591930 coming in... 3 months? 6 months? more...?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM

manual_ is on a distinguished road
Pleased to report that my Mini updated succesfully

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Surprise Surprise Not available for my unbranded UK 058162 N97 either OTA or by Ovi suite. What does Nokia have against those that 1st brought this phone, direct from their shop at full(over)price? Firmware updates have been weeks behind other versions.
RJB

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Bye bye Symbian-Guru

Rick' description on N97 experience: "The phone is hardly able to keep up with the operating systemís multitasking capabilities, frequently running out of RAM and slowing to a crawl. Worse, the C: storage Ė where you install 3rd party applications and where the majority of Nokiaís own products install themselves Ė is so small itís ridiculous. After installing Nokia Messaging for Email (which should have been pre-installed in such a flagship device), Ovi Mapsí latest update, and Ovi Contacts, Iím left with less than 10MB free. To add insult to injury, this 10MB tends to disappear on its own Ė Iím down to 2MB after being at 10MB a week or two ago. The only way to recover it is to hard-reset the phone, which Iíve done several times, and then painstakingly re-installing all your stuff."

Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Unregistered

N97 Mini updatd to v12

Just updated N97 MINI to v12.0.110

Had to change Product Code from

0591466 - N97 mini RM-555 Country Variant United Kingdom GB V1 BLACK

to

0580188 - RM-555_EMEA_EURO QW1 CB

Thought i'd post just in case it helps anyone!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 AM
froschy

Symbian is obviously the superior OS.

Ha, which other mobile OS requires the user to do a hard reset before an update.

For such a minor update I just can't see why Nokia would bother, oh hang on a sec they're not the ones that have to hard reset their N97 to get the most out of any update. Unfortunately this process also has the unwanted consequence of breaking the install for some third party apps, so it's really recommended to format the mass storage as well. The downside to this is that alongside with the update, hard reset, and format you have to re-install all of your software, reload media, and reload maps data. All in all a not insignificant amount of effort for a relatively small update and every time I have to do this I get more and more angry with the flagship device that cost me US $700.

Nokia should just acknowledge that they stuffed up big time with this "Craptastic" device (thanks to the guru for this apt description for the shittiest device) and cut their losses by offering long suffering N97 owners with a cheap upgrade to the N8 (It's the only way that I'll buy another Nokia for a very long time). And for all those people that say the N97 is not that bad, "pull your heads out of your ...", maybe if Nokia had sold it at US $349 but at double the price we had reason to expect a lot more and anybody who thinks differently is oblivious to the brilliant devices on offer from the competition.

As for the five download limit with the Ovi store, this is just such a ridiculous limit even without taking into account the bug ridden devices that Nokia has been producing. To argue otherwise just confirms a disconnect from this rosy view of Nokia, Symbian, the Ovi services that is often reported on this blog and the reality of the situation that Nokia faces itself in today.