All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Ovi Maps Upgrade - Problem

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem with the Ovi Maps update?

I have an E72 ( v31 ) , and started up Nokia Maps last night, to be told there was an update, so downloaded and installed the update. But every time I then tried to run Ovi Maps ( with free navigation ) , the phone kept re-booting.

Prior to this, the Maps app was working fine. I had a look through the Apps Manager and deleted the Ovi Maps Wifi locator thing, and since then, Maps has run fine. I had already downloaded and installed maps for my region on Nokia Maps Loader, so the map data should still be working fine.

Should I have deleted the Ovi file, or is there another conflict somewhere? BTW, I went onto Ovi Store and found the Ovi Maps, tried downloading it only to be told is not compatible with the E72. if that is the case, then why was there on the Software Updater?
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM

tebutler is on a distinguished road
Interesting (sorry, I don't have an answer for you ) - but the same thing happened to me. Running fw version 022.007 (cannot upgrade because Vodafone haven't released v3 in the UK yet - but that's another story).

I upgraded Ovi maps when advised to do so by the Software Updater on the phone - this must have been about six weeks ago. After that, the phone rebooted every time I tried to open Ovi Maps.

Tried various things - removing all map installation files (even the Nokia Maps files) and reinstalled - same result; the phone kept restarting.

In then end only a hard reset resolved the problem; I had to reapply all my settings, reinstall all my software, apply activation codes, etc. etc.

Now I don't even attempt to upgrade Ovi Maps.

I had thought it was my firmware version that was at fault, but if you're seeing the same thing with version 3 I'm now not so sure.

Sorry I cannot help.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
It is of help, thanks for taking the time and trouble - it makes me think there is an issue with Ovi Maps, rather than the phone FW version?

As mentioned, after the phone kept re-starting I deleted the file Ovi Maps Wifi Locator - something like that, then tried it again, and it works fine. Went for a drive and tested it out, and all was pretty good. THe odd thing was that the version on Ovi store is not compatible with the phone...

Cheers.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM

tebutler is on a distinguished road
It does seem to be an issue with the Ovi Maps software. See here: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...g_your_Nok.php

I couldn't see the 'Wi-fi positioning' method referred to in the post. But I deleted the file you suggested and Ovi Maps seems to be stable, for now.

Thanks for the tip.

TB