All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia X6 gets fixed up with v21 firmware

Available now through Ovi Suite and Nokia Software Update for the capacitive-screened Nokia X6 is firmware v21.0.004. A fairly major update, with upgrades to core apps, you're led through a backup-just-in-case cycle, though I didn't lose any data or apps. v21 isn't available yet Over-The-Air and, of course, branded/locked handsets probably won't see v21 for a while - ask your network or vendor! Changelog and screens below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
This is not fair. The X6 and all the S60v5 devices have been updated to browser version 7.2. However, the n97 and the n97 mini with their very recent updates are still stick at v7.1. Wonder when that will happen?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

A quick Google brought this additional changelog:

* Kinetic scrolling in Appshell improved – Menu grid added.
* Browser update to 7.2.
* Rihanna service launcher.
* Quick Office v4.2.
* OVI Music.
* OVI Sync 2.0.
* OVI store 1.5.6.
* OVI contacts 1.50.8.
* Gimlet Touch 2.2.
* Flash Video Phase-3 – Flashlite 3.1.7.x.
* Shazam.
* Enable Side lock Key functionality during Swipe UI (Calendar/Clock alarm).
* Windows 7 Device Stage Support.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Steve,

V21 is available OTA.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM

imcdnzl is on a distinguished road
There is also an update available for Nokia Messaging also. Hopefully this fixes some of the crashes/syncing with AP issues that are a bit of a pain.
Ads

Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

imcdnzl is on a distinguished road
Supposedly according to this I should have multi touch pinch and zoom but this doesn't seem to work on the X6 for me.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Doesnt work for me either.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Of course you can't have pinch to zoom. S60 5th Edition doesn't have any multi-touch support.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

x6 firmware update avail in South Africa OTA

I've just checked and updated my X6 OTA, it was about 4mb here in South Africa

Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM

steve_perry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcdnzl View Post
Supposedly according to this I should have multi touch pinch and zoom but this doesn't seem to work on the X6 for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Of course you can't have pinch to zoom. S60 5th Edition doesn't have any multi-touch support.
Needless to say my X6 on V21.0.004 does not have pinch to zoom either just the ususal zoom slider from 100% to 200%. The Forum.Nokia document linked to above is pretty explicit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum.Nokia
Web Browser 7.2 Features

This section describes the features that were introduced in version 7.2 of the Web Browser for Symbian.

The version 7.2 browser is supported on S60 3rd Edition, S60 5th Edition, and Symbian^3 platform devices.

This version of the web browser supports all of the features of previous browser releases, as well as many new features. Along with "full" web capabilities, the browser supports WML/WMLScript (compiled) content for backward compatibility with WAP 2.0 content.

For information about the evolution of the browser versions, see Symbian Web Browser versions and device support.
Multi-touch (pinch/zoom)

Multi-touch (pinch/zoom) is now supported in the version 7.2 Web Browser on Capacitive Touch devices. Zooming is performed with two fingers (multi-touch) using pinch gestures.

Zooming on Resistive Touch devices is performed with a graphical zoom "slider" that allows to user to set the zoom level through direct touch manipulation of the slider.

Zooming on Non-Touch devices is performed with either user-configurable short-cut keys, or with hardware zoom keys.

Zoom supports user control of the rendering zoom level. Zooming allows the user to focus in on an area of interest on the Web page, or zoom out to see more of the content. All pages load by default at 100% zoom level, mapping one pixel of content to one pixel of the display.

The user can zoom “out” to a minimum zoom level which is calculated based on the Web page size. The user can not zoom out further than “fit-to-page” of either the height or width. The maximum zoom level is configurable; the default maximum zoom level is 200%.
Perhaps they mean Symbian^3 capacitive touch devices only as opposed to all capacitive touch devices that include Symbian^1 (S60v5).

Just out of interest Steve is the limitation you mention due to hardware of X6 or software/firmware specification of S60v5?

S.
7650: Sep02
N70: Nov05
N80: Aug06
N82 Black: May08
X6 Black/Red: Dec09
Samsung Galaxy S II: May11

Old 13-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Unregistered

Didnt work for me..

I am trying to update my nokia X6 with existing version of 20.0.005 to latest, but it stops downloading at 137MB and gives me this error.

Downloading update failed.
Please check that your device is switched on and connected to your PC and try locating the device again.
Nokia software updater has attempted to download your software but has failed more than three times.....

Please help ...

Old 13-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_perry View Post
Just out of interest Steve is the limitation you mention due to hardware of X6 or software/firmware specification of S60v5?

S.
As far as I know, S60 5th Ed is the limitation. Symbian^3 enables multi-touch.

Old 13-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Nokia C5 better than X6

Actually speaking, X6 and C5 cant be compared in terms of functionality since X6 is a touchscreen phone where as C5 has a keypad.
However, when it comes to price and durability, i would prefer C5 over this since touchscreen phones dont have a good life, they get spoilt in 2-3 years....
Som if you think long-term, keypad phones do dominate....

http://www.tech-newz.co.cc/2010/07/n...price-rs-7999/