All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-10-2004, 04:41 AM

MCRAYGSX is on a distinguished road
New 9290

Hi everyone i just bought a PHONE w plan from T-MOBILE, www.letstalk.com
i bought a 29.99/m plan . I bought Nokia 9290 for one purpose only , so i can check my email and maybe surf webs while i travel.

Can anyone be kind enough to let me know what can i use internet or emails with 29.99 plan ? is it going to use my minutes for email ? or do i need to buy a seperate service.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:41 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Euhm, what does this have to do with Series 90...

Old 30-10-2004, 03:56 PM

venoMZ3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRAYGSX
i bought a 29.99/m plan . I bought Nokia 9290 for one purpose only , so i can check my email and maybe surf webs while i travel.

Can anyone be kind enough to let me know what can i use internet or emails with 29.99 plan ? is it going to use my minutes for email ? or do i need to buy a seperate service.
Good luck because as you probably have already found out, the 9290 only uses CSD. TMobile requires $10/month for this and you can only get up to 9.6k speed.
That speed is barely okay for email and don't bother for any type of web surfing.

The 9290 is a wonderful stand alone device but connectivity is not one of it's strong suits. YMMV

Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 AM

HLing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRAYGSX

I was not able to get web access because I use AOL. If your provider is someone other than AOL you can probably get online with the 9290. For me, instead of getting my e-mail on the web, I use the WAP. Get someone who knows what he or she's doing to set it up for you(I found someone able after a few tries on the tech support of T-Mobile)

I'm on the 39.99 plan plus the 2.99 for 300 SMS. I get e-mail alert for my non-aol e-mail sent to my inbox. I can get on the WAP to check either AOL or my other e-mail, but it IS using up the minutes.

Hope this helps some.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:12 PM

efekt2000 is on a distinguished road
Smile question from another 9290 user :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLing
I was not able to get web access because I use AOL. If your provider is someone other than AOL you can probably get online with the 9290. For me, instead of getting my e-mail on the web, I use the WAP. Get someone who knows what he or she's doing to set it up for you(I found someone able after a few tries on the tech support of T-Mobile)

I'm on the 39.99 plan plus the 2.99 for 300 SMS. I get e-mail alert for my non-aol e-mail sent to my inbox. I can get on the WAP to check either AOL or my other e-mail, but it IS using up the minutes.

Hope this helps some.

Hello,
I have the same plan like you from T-Mobile ( 39.99 + 2.99)
I have free internet access. I can get email alerts send from my yahoo account. These are brief messages as date, sender, subject and first few words from actual email. This is free service from yahoo. I really would like to know how can I connect to internet or Wap even it will cost me my minutes. Can you help me?
I am skilled on windows based software but not this.
I have lot of softwares for 9290. I can give you if you need any. You can email me also to efekt2000@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance.
efekt2000

Old 12-12-2004, 07:06 AM

HLing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by efekt2000
Hello,
I have the same plan like you from T-Mobile ( 39.99 + 2.99)
I have free internet access. I can get email alerts send from my yahoo account. These are brief messages as date, sender, subject and first few words from actual email. This is free service from yahoo. I really would like to know how can I connect to internet or Wap even it will cost me my minutes. Can you help me?
I am skilled on windows based software but not this.
I have lot of softwares for 9290. I can give you if you need any. You can email me also to efekt2000@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance.
efekt2000
All I can tell you is what my setting is, but I know you're going to need more than that to get it set up. I suggest you call T-Mobile's Tech support, (gosh, or was it the communicator's tech support?! Now I am not sure) and make sure they get you someone who knows how to do this. When I called, I think the third or fourth person (who was in Singapore, by the way) was able to refer to some sort of manual and talk me through it.

As for my setting right now when I look at my Internet Access from inside the Contro Panel, the number (not changeable) is +19132440821, then the "Preferred connection" is voice stream, the "if idle, stay online" is for 2 minutes, and the "Ask before connecting" is Yes. These three are changeable. The +1 number was entered at the set up that the tech support talked me through.

You will find that if you push the "Extra" button at the far right of the keyboard you will see a page with items like imaging, control panel, Real One Player, Help, Clock, and Internet Starup....etc. If you have a manual and have the gateway IP addresss numbers of your provider you might try it yourself first. This way, you could succeed; but if not, when the tech support talks you through it, it will be much easier, as you will know where and what he's talking about.

I'm sorry I'm not anywhere near my notes from the set up session to talk you through. Just be sure you insist until you get the right tech person and you'll be fine. It CAN be done.
Good luck!
Ads

Old 13-12-2004, 03:44 AM
arvind

at&t compatibility

does anyone know whether the 9290 works fine on the AT&T / Cingular network?

thanks.