All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N86, imaging at its best

After yesterday's inadvertent own-goal leaks, Nokia has now officially announced the N86, its latest imaging champion, with 'SLR-like optics'. The N86 features an 8 megapixel camera, plenty of metal detailing, a N96-like kickstand for video watching, AMOLED screen, N-Gage compatibility, 'scratch resistant' glass, GPS, Compass and the usual S60 connectivity specs. More details below, plus hands-on time through the morning.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-02-2009, 08:07 AM

khalidraffali is on a distinguished road
hope its a worthy successor..

i've been very happy with the pictures that the n82 had given me. the flash has always been amongst the strongest point that the n82 had over the competitors. hopefully the n86 will surpass it in other areas.

Old 17-02-2009, 08:08 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
They've removed some minor flaws of the N82 (easily scratched screen, washed-out display, won't stand up on its side), but they've also removed the one major feature that made living with all these minor flaws worthwhile: the xenon flash. Overall, one step forward, two steps back.

Old 17-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

Weight 149g? Hahahaha
Ads

Old 17-02-2009, 08:42 AM

khalidraffali is on a distinguished road
i think i'm sold..

the phone build looks solid. will definitely wait for a more in depth hands on review.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
Now Nokia has made it really tough for me (us?)... how will I ever be able to make a choice next June between this, the N97 and the e55. They all look so great and yet, every one involves a compromise...

On a different note: Any idea what this '3 friends online' on the homescreen alludes to that is visible on some promo-shots?

Old 17-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoi View Post
Now Nokia has made it really tough for me (us?)... how will I ever be able to make a choice next June between this, the N97 and the e55. They all look so great and yet, every one involves a compromise...

On a different note: Any idea what this '3 friends online' on the homescreen alludes to that is visible on some promo-shots?
Its for Contacts on Ovi.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I will most likely deeply regret making this comment, but here goes.

I will most likely deeply regret making this comment, but here goes.

To the person who commented at 10:32 today, why the laugh at the weight?

As far as I can tell with a weight of 145g that puts it right with all of the other "high end" mobile devices from most makers. The Nokia N97 comes in 5g heavier, the X1 is 13g heavier and the latest iPhone is 12g lighter. My N85 is 128g, and after moving from a N91 (4GB) that weighed in at 160g the difference is noticeable. A phone that comes in between these two would be ideal for many people. So would you care to share your thinking please?

As for my thoughts on the N86 8mp, well Nokia have bowled me over! After the release of the Samsung Omnia HD yesterday I was building myself up for a bit of disappointment in terms of camera centric phone announcements from Nokia at the MWC this year. I will admit to being completely lost at this line at the beginning:

Quote:
After yesterday's inadvertent own-goal leaks, Nokia has now officially announced the N86 8MP
But that could be explained by the fact that most of the coverage of MWC that I read comes from this website and several others who also do not tend to go in for covering leaks and so on. But my faith has been restored. The lack of Xenon flash is not a total disaster if Nokia's claims with regards to the lens and LED flash can be verified. I will admit to being initially frustrated at not being able to lay my hands on a N82 through my preferred operator here in Finland but am quickly adapting to to the camera/flash set-up on the N82, and after the first 4 days am starting to get some pleasant results.

Obviously we all know that Nokia will issue firmware upgrades that will, I hope, further boost the performance on the N86 8mp as well as my own phone, and that is where I feel this phone will rise above the Samsung Omnia HD and Sony Ericsson Idou, with the help of these firmware updates this phone will continue to lead the way in the camera phone end of the market.

As far as the styling goes, well obviously I love that! And I like what they have done with the multimedia key, more reminiscent of the N91, just on the "opposite" corner so to speak. The all glass front plate looks great and if the screen on the N82 is anything to go by then this will be fantastic! Out on a frozen snow covered lake this morning with a clear blue sky the screen was still perfectly readable and usable for taking pictures even with the sun shinning directly on it.

A note to Steve, am very eagerly awaiting a full hands on review of this phone, the summer can't get here fast enough.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

Since I only recently bought an N82 I'm slightly annoyed but this N86 will cost about twice the price of my N82 when it's released. I'm sorry to see the awful face buttons from the N85 kept, they feel tacky and inaccurate. Everything else looks pretty good. I'm especially liking that great battery life which I wish the N82 had.

As for not going with a Xenon flash I can't help but think that's a mistake. There is so much difference between a night shot with Xenon and without even if it is '3rd generation LED'.

Overall looks like a great phone though and something I wish I could get. Well done Nokia.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:31 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
Shootout

Looks like the ideal (only) Nokia candidate to have a shootout with the new Samsung Omnia HD. Both 8 MP, both aspiring to have decent flash. Which one is the beter camera, videorecorder and media player?

Old 17-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Further to my previous post, they have obviously added "real" keys as the whole front is now glass compared to the N82's plastic lower fifth with the "keys" embedded in this so to speak. But can anyone tell where the traditional S60 Menu key is on the N86 8mp? I may be going blind but I can't see it anywhere! The pics show what I assume is the keylock slider on the left side of the phone as you look at it and the camera shutter button and volume keys on the right as you look at it face on. Would it now be what I called the multimedia button in my first post?

Thanks.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As for not going with a Xenon flash I can't help but think that's a mistake. There is so much difference between a night shot with Xenon and without even if it is '3rd generation LED'.
And just how're you gonna keep a Xenon flash on during videos without frying your hand and the phone?

Quote:
The pics show what I assume is the keylock slider on the left side of the phone as you look at it and the camera shutter button and volume keys on the right as you look at it face on. Would it now be what I called the multimedia button in my first post?
N86 8mp's menu key is the same as N97's. The diagonal long bar. (Personally not a fan of this button design.)

Old 17-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
N86 8mp's menu key is the same as N97's. The diagonal long bar. (Personally not a fan of this button design.)
Thank you! So yes what I assumed was the multimedia key then. Must pay more attention in the future!

Old 17-02-2009, 09:55 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
The video shown here seems to be a wide screen video. Any idea if its been shot on a mobile device?

Old 17-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Serious Challenge?

2 things phone cams need before they can be as 'good' as even the most basic digi cam.
-xenon flash
-at least 3x optical zoom

and a ccd sensor would be nice too (but yes, unrealistic given size/battery reqs)