All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
A Closer Pictorial Look at the Sony Ericsson Satio

Hot off the presses from the recent Sony Ericsson launch of the Satio, Rafe has put together a gallery of this pretty glorious touchscreen device. Sporting a 16:9 touchscreen, a 12 megappixel camera, xenon flash and a spec sheet that hits most of the modern high water points, the Saito is expected during Q4 this year.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
Wow

This makes the n97 look very outdated.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaizDaDon View Post
Not just this. Also the Samsung Omnia HD a.k.a i8910
Ads

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

It would be a major bonus if you guys could do a gallery that didn't require a full page reload on each new picture display - plenty of free javascript around for this sort of thing.

On the phone itself, it is VERY telling of the press attitude towards Symbian, iPhone and Android that prior to the announcement Ewan Macleod of MobileIndustryReview and mobiledeveloper.tv and also no less than the Times online tech support blog, both had excited speculation about the fact SE were announcing some big new handset, that it was probably Android, and that certainly the Times at least (and Ewan gave this impression too) were going to cover it in depth as soon as it had been announced. When it turned out (horror shocker) that it was 'only' a Symbian based phone, we have heard not a peep from either outlet, despite their promises. This just shows how ingrained the unfair geek-love driven bias is against Symbian (which powers most smartphones in the world) and in favour of iPhone (0.5% of all phones) and Android (unmeasurably small and only on a single crap handset).

Interestingly both leading mobile industry discussion groups in the UK - Forum Oxford and Mobile Monday London notably failed to come up with any comment from any of their members about the Ovi Store launch the other day too, but both positively wet their pants with joy when iPhone and Android stores were released. How terribly, terribly lame.

Clearly there remains a strong need for Symbian/S60 faith and evangelism to our fellow blinkered mobile enthusiasts, both professional and not. iPhone has a better UI and Android is technically very good, but Symbian is the way forward - and I say that as experienced cross platform developer and mobile industry consultant, not inexperienced Symbian fanboy.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

When is Sony Ericsson going to start integrating a 3.5 mm headphone jack ON the phone itself? Are they waiting for the next century?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
kevininsetereo

hmm

n97 beats the sony:
1. sony can't use the widgets
2. camera optics are probably not better than n97 (even though it has more mpxls)
3. no physical qwerty on the sony + the virtual qwerty looks awful
4. customizable front screen on n97 makes the phone.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, the N97 is out (almost), the Satio won't be out until the end of the year.

Who knows what else Nokia will have announced and released by then...

But you're right, Sony Ericsson is really giving Nokia serious competition in the Symbian world, and that's good news for all Symbian users. If we can get a three-way battle between Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson, then Symbian should be getting some pretty darn good handsets as they fight for each others' customers.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

3.5 mm jack

"When is Sony Ericsson going to start integrating a 3.5 mm headphone jack ON the phone itself? Are they waiting for the next century?"

+1

the 3.5 mm jack is a key seller for me. And for all those saying 'just use an adapter', my phone goes everywhere with me, (n95), and JUST my phone. I lose my keys on a weekly basis, the adapter would be gone a lot quicker.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Well, the N97 is out (almost), the Satio won't be out until the end of the year.

Who knows what else Nokia will have announced and released by then...
SE has told the press that the Satio will ship in October. Considering that it hasn't even shipped the N86 8MP yet, if you believe that Nokia will announce and ship a 12MP phone by October, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SE has told the press that the Satio will ship in October. Considering that it hasn't even shipped the N86 8MP yet, if you believe that Nokia will announce and ship a 12MP phone by October, then I have a bridge to sell you.
I don't think Nokia will ship a 12mp phone, but they might ship phones that are impressive in other departments.

But yes Sony Ericsson are definitely going to turn some heads with this model. I know a lot of people noticed the N95 thanks to its 5mp camera, the Satio might get the same sort of attention.

As I said before, I hope Sony Ericsson do well with the Satio, it would be really healthy for Symbian as a whole and it would give Symbian users more choice.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 AM

hammerv2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As I said before, I hope Sony Ericsson do well with the Satio, it would be really healthy for Symbian as a whole
Not to mention Sony Ericsson......

Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Unregistered

S60, the phone OS with built-in obsolescence

The N97 customizable home screen looks very good. And indeed, it seems it is going to be a feature of the next release of S60! (Edition 5^2, I think it is, although I'm not that sure about the new nomenclature).

If this were like the iPhones or Androids, everyone using a S60 5th edition would have new firmware pushed and receive the custom home, as well as updated Java, Qt libs, improved Javascript, and updated apps.

However, with S60, this is not to be. Why? Just why is it that S60 phones only receive occasional bug fixes, and that if they are not blocked by the operator? Why does Nokia ship to America a device running S60 3.2, and leaves it stuck at 3.1 in Europe? I want the improved Java! I want the new goodness! I payed a lot for that smartphone!

For me, this is a very big deal. I like the 5800, and this Satio even better. They are great, and capable of being improved by a lot, but I know that will never come to happen. If I get an HTC Magic, even if the software is half-baked now, I know it will get better with time. So it will be Android for me.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When is Sony Ericsson going to start integrating a 3.5 mm headphone jack ON the phone itself? Are they waiting for the next century?
Well, I know its not much, but the satio does come with a very nice bluetooth a2dp headset. There are some press photos of the device with the headset.

Old 24-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

So where is this elusive facebook app

So after 2 weeks from launching the Satio there is still no sign of a facebook application despiute it being on the box and also advertised on the TV as coming with facebook installed.

This has to be the biggest anticlimax of any new release phone, hardly any apps, an appstore that has barely any apps to download and the critical selling point app being facebook doesnt even exist?