All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
BBC iPlayer now officially available for the N95 and similar....

In the vernacular of the time.... OMG. The BBC has just officially enabled its iPlayer widget for the Nokia N95 (and similar devices, watch this story through the morning). iPlayer lets UK users catch up on BBC programmes that have been broadcast in the last week or so and has previously been exclusive to the Nokia N85, N96 and 5800. Note that the N95 doesn't contain the DRM needed for the 'Download' option, but the streaming part of the system seems to work fine, over Wi-Fi, at least. Comments on performance, connectivity and compatibility welcomed!

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Unregistered

Works nicely on my E71, through the web browser.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 AM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
I've posted a few times that its actually really easy to 'hack' this widget to work on many S30v3 phones. Its also easy to disable the limitation of only using WIFI(just make sure you have a suitable data package).

I've been using it on my e90 for ages now with it enabled for 3G as well. It make it much easier to 'entertain' a 4 year old when you need 20 mins to do stuff if you can sit her down with cBeebies running away quite happily!.

To do the changes, download the .wgz file to a desktop PC, extract it using winzip, find the .js file, look for N96. You will see a | seperated list. Add your model number and save the file, repackage as a .zip and rename to .wgz and send to your phone over cable or bluetooth.

The 3G 'hack' is a little more involved but basically find the function that checks what connection type is in use and set it to always return Wifi as the connection type. repackage as above and Bobs your mothers brother.... The only thing you need to do is manually set the connection correctly in RealPlayer before opening the iplayer widget.

I've not worked out if its possible to remove teh region checking as yet for those of you abroad.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Yes, yes, but as you know, AAS does at least try to report on things which are official - we leave the hacking side of things to other web sites 8-)

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 AM

lumothesinner is on a distinguished road
y bother with widgets - iplayer has run through skyfire for ages for streaming, even over 3G

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
@ entwisi

Dammit I wish I knew that before!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
iPlayer 1.6.0 works on the Samsung i8910 as well; and if you're using the generic firmware for that phone (as opposed to the Orange firmware), it's also enabled for downloads as well as streaming

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
MikePJ

It works on my E71 without a hitch - streams live and catch-up video over 3G. Excellent, thanks Auntie!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
This is good news.

Hopefully the iPlayer team can develop a way for downloads to work as well in due course.
Ads

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Yes, yes, but as you know, AAS does at least try to report on things which are official - we leave the hacking side of things to other web sites 8-)
heh If they choose to release something that can be modified then who are we to not help them 'improve' their product

After all without people taking software and driving it forward where would open source movemnt be today.

I chose the term 'Hack' quite loosely, in reality i did nothing more than add a few characters to a text file. Its not like I decompiled some java etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 AM

testman is on a distinguished road
I think you lot have forgotton one thing... this new N95 download is a SISX file, not a WGZ file.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Thanks, do you know, I automatically assumed it was also a widget!!! I've amended the story slightly.

Very impressive for the BBC to now producing native S60 apps though, I must say.

Steve

Last edited by slitchfield; 11-06-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

native app

It's developed by Apadmi according to the About page. Works a treat on my old N95

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Works on E71. Does NOT work on N82 though.

It seems the compatibility is STILL hit and miss and limited.

As it works a treat (over wi-fi only of course), on my E71, which, as I already knew, having the same DRM codes as the N96, will let me PLAY a video, or DOWNLOAD a video for later too.

Cool.

NOT SO COOL, is that it WON'T work for the N82 that my partner has though...

Webpage says "Sorry this program does not work on your phone yet. We are adding more soon blah blah blah..."

Sort it out Aunty Beeb!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
@ Steve Litchfield

Steve, having visited the Blog you mention, and seen the poster, then can I confirm it is exactly as the poster states...

It now works for the E71, and the N95.

It does NOT appear to work for "and similar devices presumably" as your post states.

Hope this clarification helps, as it was a HUGE let down to me finding that it doesn't run on my partner's N82, after reading this story.

But at least it's flawless on my own E71 now.