All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini)

Poll: Which Letdown is the worst
Poll Options
Which Letdown is the worst

Old 13-07-2009, 07:07 PM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
What is your biggest N97 Letdown ?

What is the one thing that makes you hate the N97 ?

Obviously we all want all the following to disappear but for a Polls sake.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 13-07-2009, 07:14 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I just hope they do a recall or some kind of "take it to a care point and we'll replace it" thing with the lens cover.

Everything else can be fixed with firmware...

I don't hate the phone. A few fw revision from now it'll be awesome. And I can wait for that...

But the lens cover - that makes me want to not use it. Everytime I take a pic I have to check the flash is off...

:(

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 13-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Krazeh is on a distinguished road
Where's the option for none of the above?

Old 13-07-2009, 07:25 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Biggest letdown--lack of functionality in software compared to Symbian 80 (see "Taking a Giant Step Backwards" thread).

Also lack of full-features in distribution software--that is having to pay for Adobe Reader, Quickoffice editing capability, Maps navigation, etc.

With such a high initial cost...you'd think it would do more.

ps. Those of us in the US will have a heck of a time getting the scratched camera lens replaced.

Old 13-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
Where's the option for none of the above?
Other

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 13-07-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
Other
That would imply there's something else that has been a big letdown for me, which hasn't been the case.

Old 13-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That would imply there's something else that has been a big letdown for me, which hasn't been the case.
In that case I'm very happy for you. I felt the same way till me lens went all scratchy... I'd recommend opening it and leaving it open!

Good luck...

Old 13-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
So far it's got to be the poor GPS, I just had to use my N96 (as i bricked my N97 and needed to go out) and it locked on in seconds and followed me brilliantly, i barely get locks on the N97.

Havent noticed any scratch on mine, i've used the camera a few times

Old 13-07-2009, 09:50 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
With such a high initial cost...you'd think it would do more.
Sorry, Im not saying it isn't true, Im annoyed with the phone just as much. No SIP, for one (unless you account the abomination that is Fring), and where's all the flaming software and the wonderful OVI store... Oh Nokia Maps 3.0 BETA, Sure, Image Gallery BETA, Messaging BETA, and very badly supported in terms of real meaty apps. iPhone have now got TomTom, i8910 has a Route 66 version, Garmin XT is the last bastion apparently. While Nokia stick with "Nokia Maps 3.0 BETA".

Im not saying it isn't true, but it just sounded so hilarious. I don't know why.

Old 13-07-2009, 09:53 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
So far it's got to be the poor GPS, I just had to use my N96 (as i bricked my N97 and needed to go out) and it locked on in seconds and followed me brilliantly, i barely get locks on the N97.

Havent noticed any scratch on mine, i've used the camera a few times
Hugely disappointed with the GPS myself.

No, I was not around any tall buildings munkii, Im not Superman...

But twice now on separate days. First I drove to a client in the South, then getting back North the GPS couldn't get a stable fix and kept showing me in the middle of fields.

A few days later, it took me North correctly, and then drive back, it kept taking me half a mile from my current location out to the side roads off the motorway. Every few seconds, "Route Recalculation. Route Recalculation. Please do a U-Turn. GPS Lost. GPS Restored. Route Recalculation."

The GPS indicator was half full. It was green!

Grrr.

Old 13-07-2009, 10:35 PM

S-B is on a distinguished road
I have several letdowns. First right out of the box the phone is annoying/confusing and it really needs to be tweaked to your liking which can turn a lot of people off. Most of these letdowns can be fixed with an update and/or settings if I could find them.

Keyboard - Keyboard feedback takes some getting use to but I personally wish it had more of a sidekick 3 keyboard feel imo the best keyboard I have used on a phone. No touch screen keyboard. Its a hybrid phone why wouldn't they have this?

Interface - This is my first Nokia phone and I am coming off an iPhone which you would have to be a moron to not be able to use but the n97 took me a solid 3-4 days to figure out. I hate how the options change nearly every menu you go through. Some options have to be changed when using the program or in settings.

Main screen - no volume indicator when you press the buttons, missed call/txt repeatedly comes up unless you actually check them, and you have to actually check the text msg not just the headline and its not even in conversation format, only 1 widget screen, seriously?

Apps - personally I think it is annoying how apps continue to run if you do not options ---> exit, example I was trying out Fring and I had to sign up, go through a few menus until i found options/exit just to make sure it wasn't still running in the background. Also what I noticed that apps that aren't already on phone out of the box won't tell you what certain buttons do when you hold your finger on them so your left with having to try out every button to see what it does.

Facebook widget/app - widget only updates on inbox msgs, friend requests and pokes all of which I get the least of. No facebook chat, can't see your status or status comments, jesus christ

Camera - Just checked my camera and it has 2 scratches, only have had the phone for 11 days. Huge design flaw I expect this to happen to almost all nokia phones. At one point I didn't use the phone for 3 days because I was waiting to get a holster because I didn't want the phone in my pocket and this happens. Videos don't save unless you add them to a folder (not 100% on that), but it's not obvious.

Buggy - phone lock button randomly makes screen flash, may freeze, too sensitive, screen comes on even though its locked. Blacks out randomly sometimes. Just started up my phone right now and it asked me for the date and time. Lol.

Music player - Doesn't properly display most of my artwork or song tags, the lag between switching songs brings me back to hard drive iPod days.

GPS/Maps - GPS will lose position frequently. I haven't used Nokia maps yet but Google Maps wasn't as easy to use as the iPhone version, I only used it once and probably just takes some getting use to.

Ovi store - Just plain confusing. You have to log in 3-4 different sites/areas to sync install certain things, no mac support (yet), no widget section? seriously?, rating system sucks, no search function, lots of work needs to be done here.

Only reason why I still have this phone is because of the price I paid for it and I really need a phone with a keypad. Other than that I praise the phone when people ask about it but I would not recommend it just because out-of-the-box iPhone smashes it hands down, but like I said you have to tweak it to your liking, but for a flagship phone this is disappointing.

Last edited by S-B; 13-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:26 PM

bobby68 is on a distinguished road
The only thing that I am not satisfied about, is that the speakers is not nearly as good as on the 5800. I had not expected that.

It makes a huge difference, when I listen to podcasts. The N97 speakers are really tinny, compared to the 5800. And voices doesn't sound good at all.

Oh, and the creaking back cover. It only moves slightly, just where the lock switch is, but that's enough to give a not so nice feeling. I have to experiment with some paper under the cover.

Otherwise I love the phone.

Last edited by bobby68; 14-07-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-B View Post
Keyboard - Keyboard feedback takes some getting use to but I personally wish it had more of a sidekick 3 keyboard feel imo the best keyboard I have used on a phone. No touch screen keyboard. Its a hybrid phone why wouldn't they have this?
Keyboard feel is always going to be subjective and as you say it takes some getting used to but having done so it is, in my view, a perfectly acceptable keyboard and works very well. With regards to a touch screen keyboard I'm not understanding why people would want this, if ya want to type off a quick message without opening the phone then it's easy enough to do with the number pad and if you want to type something longer then it's half a second to flip the phone open and use the proper keyboard.

Quote:
Main screen - no volume indicator when you press the buttons, missed call/txt repeatedly comes up unless you actually check them, and you have to actually check the text msg not just the headline and its not even in conversation format, only 1 widget screen, seriously?
Volume indicator appears on mine when I press the volume buttons. Surely the point of missed call/text indicators is that they come up until you check them, would defeat the point if they only popped up straight after the missed event and then disappeared forever more.

Quote:
Apps - personally I think it is annoying how apps continue to run if you do not options ---> exit, example I was trying out Fring and I had to sign up, go through a few menus until i found options/exit just to make sure it wasn't still running in the background.
I love the fact that my phone can multitask, and that I can leave items running in the background while I go look at other things. If ya ever concerned that you might have left something running then just hold down the menu button and it'll pop up a window showing all running processes.

Quote:
Facebook widget/app - widget only updates on inbox msgs, friend requests and pokes all of which I get the least of. No facebook chat, can't see your status or status comments, jesus christ
Not sure what you mean by this? My widget displays my status, any new messages, pokes or friend requests, and the latest 3 items from my news feed. All of which update in sync with the main site and which I can click thru to see any comments that have been made. And correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't facebook chat functionality only been added to the iPhone facebook app in the last couple of days?

Quote:
Buggy - phone lock button randomly makes screen flash, may freeze, too sensitive, screen comes on even though its locked. Blacks out randomly sometimes. Just started up my phone right now and it asked me for the date and time. Lol.
Have you updated to the latest firmware? I found that solved a lot of problems with the screen and the lock. Have you also checked whether the screen time-out and the autolock time are both set to the same value? If they're not then the screen can potentially go off before the phone locks which means when you try to reactivate it using hte lock slider you are in fact locking the phone.

Quote:
Music player - Doesn't properly display most of my artwork or song tags, the lag between switching songs brings me back to hard drive iPod days.
Haven't got any album art on my songs but haven't had any problems with song tags. And haven't noticed any issue with the time taken to switch between songs, I suppose it might be slower than my computer takes but not so it's noticeable.

Quote:
Ovi store - Just plain confusing. You have to log in 3-4 different sites/areas to sync install certain things, no mac support (yet), no widget section? seriously?, rating system sucks, no search function, lots of work needs to be done here.
That's hardly a letdown with the phone tho is it? Yes, the Ovi store needs some work before it can rival Apple's App store but it doesn't have any impact on the actual workings of the phone. Oh and there is a search function. it's at the top where it says "Search all items".

Old 14-07-2009, 12:32 AM

S-B is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keyboard feel is always going to be subjective and as you say it takes some getting used to but having done so it is, in my view, a perfectly acceptable keyboard and works very well. With regards to a touch screen keyboard I'm not understanding why people would want this, if ya want to type off a quick message without opening the phone then it's easy enough to do with the number pad and if you want to type something longer then it's half a second to flip the phone open and use the proper keyboard.
Why isn't it there to begin with? Why can't it be toggled? I don't want to go back 5 years and use a number pad thats not why I got a FULL touchscreen phone. It can do both, but why doesn't it? Sometimes I like to give a quick text without opening the phone I would rather use a virtual keyboard.

Quote:
Volume indicator appears on mine when I press the volume buttons. Surely the point of missed call/text indicators is that they come up until you check them, would defeat the point if they only popped up straight after the missed event and then disappeared forever more.
I'm using my phone right now, I am at the home screen, I am pressing the volume buttons and nothing comes up. I can't tell if its lowering or increasing the volume or doing nothing. What if you already know who called you and you don't need to check the missed calls menu, why can't you just dismiss the menu, but no when you lock/unlock it comes up again until u check it, annoying imo.

Quote:
I love the fact that my phone can multitask, and that I can leave items running in the background while I go look at other things. If ya ever concerned that you might have left something running then just hold down the menu button and it'll pop up a window showing all running processes.
I like the multitask feature too. But a lot of times I wish I could just leave an application but just getting out of it because sometimes the exit option is not in the obvious place, see Fring example.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this? My widget displays my status, any new messages, pokes or friend requests, and the latest 3 items from my news feed. All of which update in sync with the main site and which I can click thru to see any comments that have been made. And correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't facebook chat functionality only been added to the iPhone facebook app in the last couple of days?
FB chat on iPhone has been out for a few months actually, I think it still might be a bit buggy but it works well. I personally do not like how it displays those 3 things. I never get poked and I don't get msgs as much as I get notifications, wall posts or status comments. The news feed is great though but when you click on the widget you can't see your own status nor the comments, for me someone who gets a lot of status comments I can't even see them :(

Quote:
Have you updated to the latest firmware? I found that solved a lot of problems with the screen and the lock. Have you also checked whether the screen time-out and the autolock time are both set to the same value? If they're not then the screen can potentially go off before the phone locks which means when you try to reactivate it using hte lock slider you are in fact locking the phone.
I will check this out and yes I am using V11

Quote:
Haven't got any album art on my songs but haven't had any problems with song tags. And haven't noticed any issue with the time taken to switch between songs, I suppose it might be slower than my computer takes but not so it's noticeable .
All my songs are tagged nicely on iTunes, my iPhone displayed artwork and the tags perfectly. When it came to the n97 some songs and artwork are tagged perfectly but most are not tagged correctly and no artwork. The only issue I have with changing songs is I am coming off an iPhone which had zero to little lag when changing songs but on the n97 the lag is comparable to hard drive based ipods.

Quote:
That's hardly a letdown with the phone tho is it? Yes, the Ovi store needs some work before it can rival Apple's App store but it doesn't have any impact on the actual workings of the phone. Oh and there is a search function. it's at the top where it says "Search all items".
It is for me. Once again coming from an iPhone and iTunes which is really straight forward when it came to syncing, it took me several hours over a few days because I couldn't figure it out and there is still things I can't figure out. Can't even figure out how to get my contacts to the Ovi store from my phone. I am still not seeing a search feature when using the phone and I also can't figure out why there is an Ovi store and a application called Download! which looks to me with more applications? It's things like this that just confuse the hell out of me especially coming of a phone so easy to use as the iPhone.

Old 15-07-2009, 03:04 AM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
OVI Store
No problems here. Its gotten better since a lot of the default apps are there so you can reinstall them to Mass Memory

Theme transition effects
Not as fancy as I expected, but no problems

Virtual QWERTY
I turned off auto-rotation so this doesn't matter

Lock/Unlock Switch
Mine is perfect. I LOVE IT

Camera Lens cover scratching
I see the scratches, but no actual effect.

Other
Not enough RAM
Ads