All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
The Samsung i8910 gets kinetic scrolling (in Web at least)

The latest Chinese i8910UZCII1 firmware for the Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) adds kinetic scrolling to the built-in S60 web browser and takes the browser build number up to 7.2.13841. However, the Chinese firmware contains some other issues which break compatibility with European languages, Samsung's PC Suite and some other application. So how can this help you? ... read on to find out.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

Advent? Full firmware files for Nokia devices have been easily available since the very beginning of S60.

So, you won't link back to the source of this story? That's just stupid. If you're not going to credit the source, don't publish the article. There are people who work hard for the i8910 community getting these firmware files and then uploading them for the use of the public, yet you come along and leech off them without even having the decency to give them credit where it's due.

Shameful.

Old 28-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

The "source" is myself, but I take your point about crediting those who've created the modded firmwares, so I will put their usernames in the article.

Old 28-09-2009, 08:06 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
OUCH! This web page seems to be autodownloading the embedded movie. Fortunately i'm on wifi at home browsing on my omnia. Hopefully no-one is tryng to view the page over a payg 3g data plan. A 15mb+ web page?!?!?!

Old 28-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

It was... sorry! It's fixed now

Old 28-09-2009, 09:27 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Samsung Italia hasn't announced any upcoming firmware upgrades. However, given the riots that broke out on Facebook last time they announced an upgrade, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd opt for a stealth release this time.
Ads

Old 29-09-2009, 11:43 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Surprised that there are no rants here abt kinetic scrolling not available for the rest of the phone apps.

You can usually find it in loads for Nokia phones.

Old 29-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

No. The source is not yourself. You did not get the Chinese firmware yourself, it was uploaded by someone else.

The source of this story is the person who originally posted the Chinese firmware on the internet, who, guess what, is not you.

Old 29-09-2009, 04:41 PM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
@ Unregistered

Seriously dude, whats crawled up your butt? The author of this article has given credit where its due..... ease of will ya?

Old 29-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Alot of useless posts here. Not one of them actually says anything about how the new firmware works. At least I can report that the browser has improved ALOT. Much slicker scrolling, though still noticeably less smooth in landscape and still not "iphone smooth". Much faster page loading. My early testing shows it's neck and neck with the 3gs. Usually finishing 1-2 seconds behind. And sometimes even faster! Couple that with flash support and higher screen resolution and suddenly the winner is not so clear.(though I still give the 3gs the edge due to safari being a much smarter browser as a whole, e.g. Tabbed browsing etc.). But I haven't found alot of other significant changes tho. Will keep looking.

Old 30-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No. The source is not yourself. You did not get the Chinese firmware yourself, it was uploaded by someone else.

The source of this story is the person who originally posted the Chinese firmware on the internet, who, guess what, is not you.
So, is the source you???

Seriously... your comments aren't adding anything to the discussion. If you want to raise a question / point then I'll gladly answer it, but I can't answer what I don't know. (NO, I don't know which person originally, first, before any arguing over seconds / minutes, posted the Chinese firmware which is only the base firmware for this article to the internet.

This article covers a hacked / modded / cooked firmware just as much, if not more than the original Chinese firmware from which it was derived. The screenshot is of that modded firmware. I have named the author of that firmware, and if you want to know where HE first released that firmware, do a quick Google search. I assure you, the answer will come up...

Old 30-09-2009, 05:45 AM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
I've also been using this firmware for about a week now and I have to say, it is the reason I decided to keep the phone. The browser is as fast as the N97's (which is the fastest I've used that loads all page content, unlike the other touchscreen device I don't have to mention), but the experience better overall on the larger, glass, capacitive AMOLED. This firmware also fixed a lot of other smaller issues including Garmin interrupting music playing in the background with every notification and there's now a Data Transfer app that allows you to pull the user data from a previous S60 device (of any brand). At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung was right behind Nokia with another firmware of their own that brings kinetic scrolling to the rest of the OS.

Old 30-09-2009, 06:03 PM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
As a long term user of this site, I have thought for ages that its time to stop "unregistered" comments. Its very easy to sling mud and behave like a ****wit if no-one can track you. If unregistered is that bothered, he/she can go away and behave like a moron elsewhere