All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-02-2008, 05:00 AM

MikeW is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Geocache Navigator for N95

Not sure if many folks here are into geocaching, www.geocaching.com, the crazy, web-based outdoor treasure hunt. It's fun, and a cool way to check out new destinations, get outdoors, and learn about using a GPS to locate caches.

Trimble GPS now has a nice application out for the N95 called Geocache Navigator. The link to find it is below. It's free, easy to use, is enabled with the N95's built-in GPS and GPRS radios for position, cache and mapping data, and seems to work pretty well.

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/Nok...5/Default.aspx

While the application is clearly designed to use with www.geocaching.com, I think one could probably use it for dead-reckoning as well. In all, a fun and free app!

Old 25-02-2008, 10:27 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Have you tried it? I'd be interested to know how you get on. I've tried it once and failed miserably. I'm not convinced it's got the resolution needed for geocaching: it was telling me the cache I was looking for was in the middle the A41 (it isn't).

Old 25-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
Have you tried it? I'd be interested to know how you get on. I've tried it once and failed miserably. I'm not convinced it's got the resolution needed for geocaching: it was telling me the cache I was looking for was in the middle the A41 (it isn't).
are you sure it wasnt in the middle of the A41? Did you look??

Old 26-02-2008, 11:51 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I tried it last night (feb 25, 2008) and it worked great, brought me right to the spot that everyone else said the cache was. The only problem was that I'm new to geocaching and couldn't find the cache! LOL

It told me I was withing 3 feet of it but I couldn't locate it. I had it on for 19 minutes and it only used 3 kb's of data during it's use. I'm going to go back and try to find this geocache later after I get more information on where to look at this particular spot. EDIT: I was in the right spot. I'm just waiting on the person who placed the cache to verify that the cache is still there.

I recommend this application and if someone could put it on the "recommended apps" thread, that would be great (Kontraband *HINT HINT*).....

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Last edited by waxup; 26-02-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Old 26-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I've used various Nokia GPS phones for geocaching (not with this particular software yet), and its worked fine. The resolution is more than sufficient.

Finding the cache can often be the tricky bit. I'll happily admit to having tripped over the container one one occasion (at least I found it)...

Old 26-02-2008, 04:52 PM

MaciekBora is on a distinguished road
Interesting app, thanks for info.
Ads

Old 27-02-2008, 03:27 AM

MikeW is on a distinguished road
I tested it out yesterday and found three caches! The application is pretty cool, though in a city, it is hard to get exactly to where stuff is with building blocking the signal. In general, it is pretty cool and worth the cost... free.

Old 27-02-2008, 09:13 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Yes, to be fair, I went back to the cache that had been giving me problems, this time with both my phone and handheld Magellan GPS. This time, Geocache Navigator was giving more accurate results than the handheld. Still didn't find it, though.

Old 27-02-2008, 01:09 PM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Cool

....top app !

Old 27-02-2008, 06:23 PM

gerrit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
....top app !
Sadly Im hooked, yes the N95 Does work for Geocaching must go and log the 3 I did at lunch....

Just watch out the Geocaching software is no good if you loose phone range unless you have the postions... Ive not got there a couple of times... But then I f you try and run ViewRanger a compasss program and Geocaching you can expect any phone to fall over ocasionally...

Gerrit