All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-01-2008, 05:58 PM

strobez1977 is on a distinguished road
nokia maps not working right now since software update

Hi for some reason my nokia maps wont find where i am or find a satalite signal,this happend since i updated the software on my phone,is there somthing im doing wrong?im with 3 network but since i updated the software i lost most of the 3 apps but surly that would stop the nokia maps working right.

thanks

Old 29-01-2008, 06:01 PM

snuge is on a distinguished road
could be just something simple. have you left it 5 minutes to connect to a satalite sometimes it can take a bit. or are you in a place that has open skies above. it can be quite temperamental sometimes

Old 29-01-2008, 09:21 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem.

I had to reinstall the maps as they were not installed when I did the firmware update.

dog-man

Old 30-01-2008, 06:46 PM

ive just uploaded the latest uk maps from the nokia website and its still not finding a satalite signal,how long should i let it find a signal for?

Old 30-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I realise some of this might not apply, but its useful when trying to get a GPS signal. Taken from N95 users (but I wrote it), have a read through and some might help.

Deciding to use AGPS
AGPS (Assisted GPS) vastly improves lock on time for getting a GPS lock. It does use a small amount of data, usually around 3-6 KB worth. This is a very tiny amount of data, so you only need to worry about this if you donít have a data plan and your data cost is high. The aGPS function only requires data to be downloaded when getting a lock and does not use a constant data download. If you don't loose GPS lock then you shouldn't see more than a tiny amount of data being used.

Getting a lock:
First, check AGPS is enabled. First, go to - Settings - phone settings - General - positioning. In there, under positioning server - server address check you have exactly this: supl.nokia.com Note there is no 'www', A few new phones I have seen now have had something else, which didnít work. Once changed, AGPS worked fine.
Make sure your access point is correct; this is whatever method used to connect to the net on your phone, obviously operator defined.
In positioning methods tick -
Assisted GPS
and
Integrated GPS

Do NOT tick the others, network based isnít much good and only Bluetooth if you intend to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver. If so, Bluetooth only should be ticked.

If you still do not get a lock after 30 minutes when you have done the following:
* Made sure AGPS is on, and it has all the correct settings,
* Have the phone open, at the right angle, in open sky,
* Have left it not moving,
Then chances are thereís a problem with the GPS receiver. It has been reported to have been a problem with the arial/contacts. If itís under warranty, its worth trying to get it replaced/fixed. If its not, or your feeling brave, you can attempt to fix/clean it yourself, which has solved the issue for some people.

Old 30-01-2008, 07:12 PM

thanks for the help,im using the unlimited internet addon with 3 network so that should be ok if it needs to connect,ive set it to conect via 3 wap,is that ok?i changed it to that in the nokia map settings

Old 30-01-2008, 07:50 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobez1977 View Post
thanks for the help,im using the unlimited internet addon with 3 network so that should be ok if it needs to connect,ive set it to conect via 3 wap,is that ok?i changed it to that in the nokia map settings
i don't know what your other options are, but i wouldn't think "3 WAP" would be the correct choice.

something like "3 Internet" maybe?
Ads

Old 31-01-2008, 08:02 AM

gerrit is on a distinguished road
I find if Im not getting a lock I use the Basic GPS Data to get one that tells you it is searching for Saterlites and calculating. Atleast you know its doing something.

I regularly run 2 or 3 GPS Programs at once and find, it doesnot ignificantly decrease Battery life and if 1 has a position they all do...

Hope this helps

Gerrit

Last edited by gerrit; 31-01-2008 at 08:05 AM.