All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Unregistered

GoodLink?

Does anyone know if the E71 will work with GoodLink like the E61 and 61i did? There's no mention of it anywhere in Nokia's specs.

Old 19-06-2008, 09:35 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
@Steve,

Does it charge over USB?

Old 19-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
@Steve,

Does it charge over USB?
No afraid not.

Old 19-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Steve and a very nice detailed write up.

I live in France, and I think that when the phone will be available here, it would have an AZERTY keyboard (like the E61s). Since I prefer QWERTY keyboards disposition, I think I would purchase an E71 in the UK on a future trip. My question is: can the UK unit deal with accented characters (read messages with accented characters without replacing those by squares and bizard characters and type characters with accents)
Thanks a lot
MM
Yes it can. You can also type such characters using Chr+letter. Se Chr+e cycles through the four accented e characters.

Old 19-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Does anyone know if the E71 will work with GoodLink like the E61 and 61i did? There's no mention of it anywhere in Nokia's specs.
Probably not, but Goodlink could provide a software update.

Old 19-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Seems great! Only down side is that camera, but it's the iriating way of Nokia to separate N series from E series(E66 vs E78 for example). Probally going to get E66.

Old 19-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

Palm Fan

Will this supplant my Treo 650?

Old 19-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Seems great! Only down side is that camera, but it's the iriating way of Nokia to separate N series from E series(E66 vs E78 for example). Probally going to get E66.
I know what you mean, but the camera limitation is really down to the thickness of the device (that tends to be the limitation on thickness in both N and the new Eseries devices. Personally I'd choose a thinner phone in this form factor.

The E/Nseries differentiation is now much more about which bits gets compromised in the hardware design... i.e. do you put business or multimedia / personl stuff first. This applies to hardware functions / build quality / materials used etc etc. The trouble of course is that not everyone personal compomise decisions fit with a Nokia device.

Quote:
Will this supplant my Treo 650?
I honestly think it has a good chance given the extra functionality. Bear in mind StyleTap are due to bring out their emulator soon so you should be able to run legacy Palm OS applications soon.

The caveat is, of course, that you will lose some things. The questions is whether it will be an acceptable trade for you.

Old 19-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Languages

Hi,

Thanks for that very good review.
I would like to know if the E71 you have has multiple language interface, meaning:
One can change the phone interface language as well as the writing language (as for other "regular phones") or are these country specific and one has to download language modules according to his need.
Many thanks in advance

Old 20-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Unregistered

Great Review

Thanks so much for this indepth review. I've been frothing for an e71 ever since the leaked shots back in January. I've had the gamet of nokia devices, including over the last few years an e61, e65, 9500, 7280 and currently an e90 and a n82 for when the e90 is just too freaking big. So, obviously... I am stupid and spend a lot on phones With that being said, I was so excited for the e71. It seemed like the perfect blend of e-series features in a smaller e61 style form-factor. I'm a little disappointed, now though... While I still believe the e61 is my favorite Nokia device to date... and the removial of the pop-port and inclusion of GPS are two huge improvements I've really wanted in that device... the drastically smaller screen (I didn't know it was that much smaller) and more nimble keyboard has me cautious, even not mentioning the poor media capabilities of the device (which, to be fair, are on par with the e61... but under the e90?). I think your review has helped me patiently take a seat on the fence for a bit on this device.

Oh... one more thing. You say the D-Pad is great. Really great. How would you compare it to other Nokia devices. For example, the e90 has amazing buttons and a great D-Pad on the front (even if it is a bit stiff at times), but the n82 is a piece of junk with a fimbly and weak d-pad that squeaks when pressed. I swear I thought I was going to break it more than a few times just playing Snake. Are all of the buttons solid and of quality like an e90/e65 or sort of cheap and plasticky like an n82?
Ads

Old 20-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Unregistred

Smile

Great review Steve !

Is it possible to see screenshots of the weekview and dayview of the revamped calender application?

I'm really looking foreward to the E66, but I guess that the new calender is the same, on the two devices, besides the orientation.

Thanks.

Old 23-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Article TWO cameras, different resolutions and Video framerates

check out http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E71 which shows that the front camera (meant for video calls i guess) only does 15fps, but the main camera does VGA @ 22fps

the E90 has a lower resolution video camera, but can do VGA @ 30fps (at least according to the specs at Forum.nokia http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E90_Communicator.

Also, looking at these, you can see how *REALLY* close the E71 is in terms of hardware capabilities to the E90 (and if i had not grown to love the giant internal screen, and spent my own money on the device, i would be in line to buy an E71 right now!)

Old 23-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

S60 messaging question

Great review. Could you elaborate on the following part of the review?

The Messaging application itself is largely unchanged from earlier devices which is something of a dissapointment given that this is a key area of the E71, especially in the light of tweaks to the Contacts and Calendar applications. While the breadth of support for different push external email solutions (Nokia Intellisync, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, Visto Mobile, and Seven Always on Mail) and its plug-in architecture is a definite plus, this will not be a factor in day to day usage. Instead the fiddly set-up, limited folder handling, and relatively poor support for sorting, search, attachment handling and multiple email accounts may disappoint users switching from other systems.

In particular your concerns about multiple email accounts and attachment handling. I've been told that S60 can handle multiple email accounts and attachments...what aspect were you concerned about?

Thanks.

Old 23-06-2008, 10:40 PM

aaronlws is on a distinguished road
S60 messaging question

Great review. Could you elaborate on the following part of the review?

The Messaging application itself is largely unchanged from earlier devices which is something of a dissapointment given that this is a key area of the E71, especially in the light of tweaks to the Contacts and Calendar applications. While the breadth of support for different push external email solutions (Nokia Intellisync, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, Visto Mobile, and Seven Always on Mail) and its plug-in architecture is a definite plus, this will not be a factor in day to day usage. Instead the fiddly set-up, limited folder handling, and relatively poor support for sorting, search, attachment handling and multiple email accounts may disappoint users switching from other systems.

In particular your concerns about multiple email accounts and attachment handling. I've been told that S60 can handle multiple email accounts and attachments...what aspect were you concerned about?

Thanks.

Old 24-06-2008, 09:57 AM
P.R.B.

But does it...

...cut the data connection when a voice call comes through? IMAP support (with IMAP-idle) was all well and good with my E62, but who cares if it keeps loosing the connection when someone calls me?

Stupid me, found my answer: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Transfer_Mode) + http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E71 means joy!