All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Catalin Alexe

Please illuminate me

I don't understand. Nokia is the first producer of mobile phones and E71 is a business phone.
Then how comes it lacks important functions?
1. A birthday set in 'Contacts' does not automatically shows up in 'Calendar' too. You can only set a birthday in 'Calendar'. Suppose you want to find out Mr. Smith's birthday. You have to either set it up manually in 'Contacts' too, or Search the 'Calendar'. In the first case it takes precious time to do that each time you make an entry in 'Contacts' and in the second you simply cannot do it, because Nokia E71 does not provide a 'Search' function in 'Calendar'.
2. 'Calendar' does not have a 'Find' function. You want to call Mr. Smith but before that you want to know when was the last time you met him. You simply cannot.
2.1. When you want to move a 'Reminder' in 'Calendar' you cannot see the calendar, to prevent moving a reminder in a weekend day. You can move a reminder only by changing the digits of the day, month and year.

Is there a chance of E71 having all these functions and I couldn't find them?

These are the reasons I am not upgrading from my SE P1i yet.
Because, yes, my slow P1i does all that.

Old 14-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Windows Live

Does anyone know if Windows Live services (mail and IM) are available in the download section of the E71 ?

Old 14-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

GPS sensitivity

how would you rate the GPS performance / sensitivity (out of 10) compared to other devices you've used (10 being the best). ie. are lock-ons quick and painless, generally, under a variety of conditions?

Old 15-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Unregistered

WCDMA bands

On Nokia specs, it said "WCDMA 900/2100 or 850/1900 or 850/2100" Does it mean E71 supports all 900, 850, 1900, 2100 WCDMA bands?

Old 15-07-2008, 09:05 AM
swissremix

Unhappy Home screen in basic

i have a big problem.. when i select 'home screen > basic' i would like to set up the 'selection key' to go straight to my 'inbox' (right now i can only select 'messeging' which is okay but why not inbox)

how do i do that? any app i can download that lets me do that?

can anyone help??????

Old 16-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

Angry Can the E71 search its notes?

One of the biggest complaints I've had with all my S60 Nokia phones so far is the lack of a search in the Notes applications. I mean a search for any word inside the note. I have hundreds of notes (as I believe any business user would have) and trying to find what I need only by title (when many similar items exist) is a pain.

Also, is it possible to not-save accidental changes in notes when exiting?

Am I asking for the obvious? After all these years of improving the same basic applications, one can only hope they will eventually get it right. If not, they should buy the cheapest Palm they can find and play with it for a day or two, just to get some ideas!

Old 17-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Nokia E71

does anyone know when or where I can purchase the E71 in the white steel color?? Thanks...
Ads

Old 18-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Unregistered

Nokia E71 is supercool

From the design, to the specs, to the size, the feel ó it has the entire package. Itís not for everyone, though. Some people prefer a straight up phone like a flip phone, but in terms of a smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard, this takes the cake. It is just striking compared to the shit device the E61 was.

Old 18-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the biggest complaints I've had with all my S60 Nokia phones so far is the lack of a search in the Notes applications. I mean a search for any word inside the note. I have hundreds of notes (as I believe any business user would have) and trying to find what I need only by title (when many similar items exist) is a pain.

Also, is it possible to not-save accidental changes in notes when exiting?

Am I asking for the obvious? After all these years of improving the same basic applications, one can only hope they will eventually get it right. If not, they should buy the cheapest Palm they can find and play with it for a day or two, just to get some ideas!
Have you tried the built in search? I works for me when ever I need t find a note.

Old 18-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Re: buying in the US

I'm antsy too. When I called PC connection just now, they said middle of September. The Nokia retail store in NY said the end of this month or the beginning of next, but that they didn't ship. I'm not sure when it will be available on the website.

Old 18-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Can the E71 search its notes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have you tried the built in search? I works for me when ever I need t find a note.
Well, I don't have a E71 yet. That's why I was asking if there is a search option with E71. That extra feature alone will certainly make me consider getting one. None of the other S60 Nokia's I've owned have one (unless I've been missing out all these years on a well-kept secret), at least I can't find it.

Old 18-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

3G in USA

Will this phone work on the 3G in the USA or only outside USA?

Old 19-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V issue not as bad

Press Fn key once (you don't have to keep it pressed), and you are in Ctrl mode of Chr/Ctrl key. Take your time and press Ctrl-C to copy.
Same goes for cutting or pasting.

Moral: you don't need to press three keys at once.

>>>>>
I'm fine with most of the keyboard layout, but have to take issue with 'Ctrl', whose use I get the impression Nokia are trying to deprecate. It's now a 'Fn' keypress (above 'Chr'), so to do 'Ctrl-X', for example, you actually have to press three keys at once, really tricky on something so small. Disappointing.
>>>>>

Old 21-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Brazilian Joe is on a distinguished road
VoIP and 3G?

My 2 questions:

How good is the VoIP client?
How long does the battery last with 3G always-on?

That's because I want to have my VoIP phone line always in my pocket to receive and make cheaper calls.

Old 23-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

E71 don't have touch screen, that is disappoint