All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

uma wifi?

Does the e71 support T-Mobile's UMA wifi VOIP service as does their NOKIA 6301 model?

Old 24-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

No software for E71

Nokia has been extremely lazy about updating its support and software sites for the E71. I am based out of India and recently bought the Nokia E71. I was very happy with it till I got on the Nokia site to download the map applications. To my horror I found that the E71 is not mentioned in the supported model list. Further - when I went to search for other application software for E71 - again a blank. Regards, Prabhat (prabhat.agarwal@gmail.com)

Old 26-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

no hebrew on asian model

Very strange. It seems that you CANNOT see hebrew fonts on asian models...

Why is this like this ?

Old 27-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

real-world GPS performance

Some extra info if I could:
1) did you use assisted or unassisted GPS in this review?
2) does unassisted GPS take a long time to lock on (by unassisted I mean nothing but the GPS satellites being used).

Old 27-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does the e71 support T-Mobile's UMA wifi VOIP service as does their NOKIA 6301 model?
I don't believe so. UMA requires specific software support beyond on SIP (which the E71 does have).

Old 27-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Some extra info if I could:
1) did you use assisted or unassisted GPS in this review?
2) does unassisted GPS take a long time to lock on (by unassisted I mean nothing but the GPS satellites being used).
1. Assisted
2. It does take longer but it depends on the circumstances (cold start etc etc). If you leave it sitting with a good view on the sky it does well and holds a lock quite well. A-GPS uses very little data BTW.

Old 27-07-2008, 10:38 PM

abruenin is on a distinguished road
Hm, my last posting regarding this seemed to be vanished. I try again:

How does the camera of the E71 compare to the one from the E51, apart from the spec? Is it the same (low) quality, just in higher resolution?

Old 28-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

WCDMA bands

I understand the E71 comes in three versions: E71-1 WCDMA 900/2100 HSDPA ; E71-2 WCDMA 850/1900 HSDPA and E71-3 WCDMA 850/2100 HSDPA. The E71-2 is designed for the US market. Does anyone know if any, or all, of these versions will work on Korean and Japanese 3G networks, which typically require WCDMA 2100? Thanks. BTW, my E61i works in Korea and Japan.

Old 29-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Wink Good review - Moving from Win Mobile - users beware!

Hi, great review.

I have the E71 and agree the keyboard is great (except the need to use the Chr key for certain caharacters which shud be ON the keyboard in the first place!).

I have an HTC Touch so thought it worth putting some comments about what I 'miss out of the box' coming from Windows Mobile...

touch screen or keyboard - personal taste - I don't mind either

Email - E71 can not sync my Outlook emails stored on my PC - this IS annoying to me but I arranged Outlook to forward emails to another account which the E71 accesses - still it is a PAIN not having that feature. I was able to store for example the last 'weeks' worth of emails which can be handy.

When saving email attachments to memory card the E71 immediately saves the file to a folder called 'Other', there is no option to save in a folder of choice.

Podcasting! On the E71 this is NOT as straight forward as you may imagine in terms of playing video podcasts. While downloading Podcasts and saving them is not an issue, the inbuilt player seems to handle only 320x240 videos, anything bigger and it will only play the audio.

For media handling get the E90 - no question!

Where the E71 does win out over my Win Mobile experience is it's speed and ability to handle several applications at once with ease.

Ok, so I have maybe been a bit harsh by not being happy with my use of the unit 'out of the box' but I know there are some great free applications out there to add on and yes, there IS a learning curve which will pay off if you are willing to persevere!

Enjoy!

Old 29-07-2008, 10:11 AM

abruenin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serum View Post
http://europe.nokia.com/A41146123
it states clearly "640 x 480 at 22 fps"
Hm, following the link you posted, I just found:

Video

* Main camera
* 320 x 240 (QVGA) up to 15 fps

Old 29-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruenin View Post
Hm, my last posting regarding this seemed to be vanished. I try again:

How does the camera of the E71 compare to the one from the E51, apart from the spec? Is it the same (low) quality, just in higher resolution?
The auto focus does make a difference on the E71 (access by pressing t). The E51 has a 2.0 megaixel camera so the the E71 should capture more detail. I've not done a direct comparison though. But yes I'd say its fairly low quality. i.e. nowhere near the 3.2 megapixels of N78.

Old 29-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

How different is this from the E66?

I can't seem to find any difference between the E71 and the E66 other than the full keyboard and candybar. What other differences are there?

The E71 display is actually smaller than the E66, according to the Nokia web site, though both has the same amount of addressability and pixels. This is surprising. I thought a phone meant for business emails should have a bigger screen and more pixels.

Old 29-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Founder / Chief

The E66 has an accelerometer, the E71 does not. Other than that yes the major difference is in the physical attributes.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Unregistered

Red face Help!! Transfer data from Palm 750 to E71

Can anyone help me to transfer my contacts and data from the old Palm Treo 750 Mobile 6.0 to my new E71 Symbian. I have never used Microsoft Outlook, and only used Active Sync to transfer and store details on the laptop. I have all the details from the Treo backed up and have no way to restore onto a new platform.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
billy.k

Steve, i would like to ask one thing about E71 since u have got ur hands on it..
does the silver chrome part at the bottom of the phone and at the top, where u took a picture of it and it reflects ur image, will that part get scratch all over easily? i mean it does kinda look like the N76's silver chrome..i'm afraid the same case will happen again..
thanks for reviewing this phone =)