All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Menus

I went from Siemens to Nokia a few years ago (presently N93) and have found the menus terrible on Nokia compared to Siemens - and this in spite of hearing how great the menus were supposed to be on a Nokia!
So I am considering switching to Blackberry like everyone else I know is doing. Now that I see this new model, my question is: how many keys do you have to touch on this new model to (a) place a call to a contact, (b) sens an sms to a contact?
I could not care less about possibilities used once in a blue moon if that means I have to go through several multiple choice menus before being able to do the very basic things a phone is supposed to do!
Thanks for checking this out in your reviews.
JP

Old 05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.k View Post
Steve, i would like to ask one thing about E71 since u have got ur hands on it..
does the silver chrome part at the bottom of the phone and at the top, where u took a picture of it and it reflects ur image, will that part get scratch all over easily? i mean it does kinda look like the N76's silver chrome..i'm afraid the same case will happen again..
thanks for reviewing this phone =)
Mine hasn't yet, but then its been spending its free-time in the slip case that comes with the device.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Angry Music DRM Nightmare

Dear Steve & Nokia Gurus,

I need some help on a problem with my E71 that seems to get overlooked during the review process: media. Protected media.

I've got a new E71-1 and the Nokia-supplied 2GB SD card seems to somehow be *special* in that it will store licenses for DRM-protected songs. I've tried both purchasing them from the Nokia Music Store and transferring them over using WMP 11 and the "media transfer" mode.

If I however plug in my Sandisk 8GB SD card, I cannot re-license the purchased songs, I cannot purchase new songs (both get a strange MSD error) and I cannot sync protected music from WMP.

I've contacted Nokia (their first response was that NMS is not supported on the E71 -- silly!) and now I need some more experienced help.

Any ideas?

I've tried on Noka Discussions (http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...hread.id=23284) and the email support but no luck yet...

Dane

Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
messaging device, must be a joke

i am late in my comments but honestly, when you actually see it, the keypad is seriously seriously small. You often wonder that the well spaced t9 would rather be a much better option.

For someone, who is always banging in messages on the go, in the train, in the car, in the mall or in a restaurant, i still feel this is not the right piece! E51 would be a much better option (and i am not joking) using t9 to bang in messages if you cannot afford e90.

I am a power e mail user and i have n 82. I use seven and get my work mails, personal mails everything on a real push system. I use my t9 to type in and am pretty satisfied.

I am not shooting from the dark. I had my friends e71 for full 7 days but got sick of it. Its not aspirational for me for sure.

And steve, i beg to differ. E61i had a much better typing speed than e71, again personal experience.

Old 14-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

got it. like it.

finally got my hands on the e71. definitely liking it so far. keyboard is firm and pretty fast. I've banged out several emails before my bud with his iPhone can send his first. form factor is slinky - Nokia have finally caught up with Blackberry on this one. had some decent results using Nokia maps for both car and walking nav (after some practice and setup). overall a great new offering from Nokia,

Old 15-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Unregistered

Great Review

Thanks for a very detailed review, you should take a rest now after that! Viewer from Ireland

Old 16-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Compatability with Windows Mobile?

Steve's review covers a lot of topics and makes this phone sound very attractive, but my IT department advises that we must use phones compatable with MS Exchange and Windows Mobile. Can anyone advise the OS system for this and if it runs on Windows Mobile with compatability with MS Outlook?

Old 19-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy i think it should a camera lens in the front

well, kudos to nokia for the portability idea, but the new innovation should be able to support video call with which you dont need to turn the phone the other side to achieve that, thats the only thing i think is missing in nokia e61i, and in e71..its still missing..nokia do something.

Old 20-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Unregistered

Lajja

it is shame none of the nokia phone till date does not have a full browser for web
Ironically I can't get to see nokia web site full version on e71 properly. Only iphone has browser capabilities minus flash videos. I wonder why these big companies lie about thier products . I have decided not to buy a another phone for next 5 years that's when I can see full phone

Old 20-08-2008, 08:51 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it is shame none of the nokia phone till date does not have a full browser for web
Ironically I can't get to see nokia web site full version on e71 properly. Only iphone has browser capabilities minus flash videos. I wonder why these big companies lie about thier products . I have decided not to buy a another phone for next 5 years that's when I can see full phone
I understand you... Some times I feel the same. And itīs a phone after another always the same, without any innovation at all... the same boring screen resolution, the same browser, even the same calculator! Try an UMPC instead. I know, itīs not a phone, but runs a full OS, with IExplorer or Firefox, a real great Internet experience, and even, more cheap then a Nokia NSeries / ESeries phone.

Old 22-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Unregistered

Red face Query

Hi,

Like many, I too had been eagerly awaiting the release and tracking the progress of the Nokia E71 with more than baited breath. Now, despite the fact that its launched, I'm still in a quandary. You see, I had just about made up my mind to go in for the "White Steel" variant of the E71, when I discovered that it wasn't yet easily available "Off the Shelf" in Mumbai, but had to be ordered through a Nokia Priority Dealer. When I did contact one such dealer to place my order, he immediately informed me that most all of the customers he had sold the White Steel variant too, had come back within a month to complain that the letters printed on the keypad had rubbed off !!! Further, he also told me that Nokia didn't cover this abnormality in their warranty and it wouldn't be until a further month or so, until a replacement key board would be available with Nokia ! That too it'd most probably only be the black keyboard not white !!!

I subsequently also wrote to Nokia, to confront them about this claim, which was also supported by almost every other Nokia dealer I contacted to verify this. Ofcourse, Nokia being Nokia, I only got the following diplomatic reply quoted hereafter

"Kindly be assured that Nokia manufactures mobile phones and accessories on the basis of reliability in optimal performance and user friendliness. It is always our sincere and diligent effort to recommend our customers to take the requisite care in the usage and maintenance of your Nokia product to ensure the desired performance as that of an electronic product. As the mobile phone is a product of high usage a greater degree of wear and tear is associated with it."

Given that in a world / time where one would still like to change over to a phone which stayed relevant, reasonable state-of-the-art for atleast a year before becoming redundant in today's context. I would request if you could let me know if this specific claim / complaint could be in any way true / has been experienced ?

I still intend to go in for the E71, but if these issues and certain other issues as covered in the review can hope to be corrected in a subsequent variant, I'd much rather wait for that much time.

Alistair.

Old 22-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Unregistered

Wink hand on experience with Nokia E71

I ve been using Nokia E71 since last month and i found this phone realy good .. its WLAN and Connectivity is excellent, good sound quality , nice keyboard and everything.. but i am disappointed by its camera performance.. on mobile screen it looks good but on computer its not that good.. i found one problem with E71 it is not connecting with my sony ericsson bluetooth handsfree.. otherwise it is a great phone.

Old 26-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

"No gateway reply"

Im sorry to burst the bubble on this facsinating phone,
but unfortunately, like many E51's, E71 also has the same problem.

It does not connect through WLAN.

I always end up getting "No gateway reply" message.
Is it only ME :( :( :(

Old 26-08-2008, 07:23 PM

ismi is on a distinguished road
"No gateway reply"

"No gateway reply"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sorry to burst the bubble on this facsinating phone,
but unfortunately, like many E51's, E71 also has the same problem.

It does not connect through WLAN.

I always end up getting "No gateway reply" message.
Is it only ME :( :( :(

Old 26-08-2008, 08:08 PM

abruenin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will this supplant my Treo 650?
I am working on a in-depth comparision between the Treo 680 (my last device) and the E71 (my actual device). I will post it as soon as it is completed. In short:
- The E71 is absolutely superior in connectivity features
- Though the weakest part, the E71 camera is far better than the Treo's
- The organizer features of the Treo are still far better than the E71's, but the E71 is just good enough exept for the missing calendar categories (Though the calendar DB of Symbian _does_ support calendar categories. It is just the S60 calendar)
- The usability of Palm OS is IMHO by far superior. Many actions, that can be done with just one touch of the screen on the Treo requires deeply navigation in S60's menus. Beeing used to the Zen of Palm, where everything is designed for exterme usability, switching to S60 is a little like switching to Windows. It is always fiddling in multi-level menus.

But if you need better connectivity than the Treo 650/680 offer, than you have no other choice than switching away Palm OS. I would not consider Windows mobile as an alternative, so after all: Yes, the E71 is a possible replacement for a Treo.
Ads