All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
yeap, that is the same phone. I was going to get it in the first place, but Samsungs lack of support kind of put me off which is why I went for the N97.

Yes, Samsung support does suck. Basically they dont release worldwide firmwares for their phones, but instead have specific firmwares for each region (Italy/Germany/China etc etc). But the good thing is that the firmwares are easy to "unpack, modify, and repack". I am actually running a cooked firmware which has left out all the nonsense software that Symbian phones come with, giving me a whopping 80mb worth of free space on C.

You can find all the info you need on http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/

Trust me, the i8910 seriously kills the N97. The ONLY thing that the Samsung lacks, which the N97 has, is the physical keyboard, but then again I honestly didnt find the keyboard that great in the first place.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieindubai View Post
yeap, that is the same phone. I was going to get it in the first place, but Samsungs lack of support kind of put me off which is why I went for the N97.

Yes, Samsung support does suck. Basically they dont release worldwide firmwares for their phones, but instead have specific firmwares for each region (Italy/Germany/China etc etc). But the good thing is that the firmwares are easy to "unpack, modify, and repack". I am actually running a cooked firmware which has left out all the nonsense software that Symbian phones come with, giving me a whopping 80mb worth of free space on C.

Trust me, the i8910 seriously kills the N97. The ONLY thing that the Samsung lacks, which the N97 has, is the physical keyboard, but then again I honestly didnt find the keyboard that great in the first place.

Don't ...... i can't take it .......

Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieindubai View Post

I read part of a review on this site, re the i8910 and one aspect which was weak was Call Quality. What's been your experience of this - good / bad?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I keep reading about people with lock/unlock issues...

It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that sometimes when the screen is dark it's not locked, it just blanked. Worse, when you think it's locked and you try to unlock it and it isn't--that locks it. So you try again, and again, and again!

Worst of all, the very poorly timing loop for the status messages is just TOO SLOW!

To make this work within the poorly-programmed schema of Nokia's N97 team, you just have to learn the N97's timing.

If the screen just recently went dark, you only have to tap the menu button to make it light up again. I wish that they'd also bring it back with a screen tap, but that would have been just what all the users would expect now wouldn't it?

More often than not--if the screen IS locked, just one jiggle of the unlock slider will do the trick if you're patient and wait for it to finish its silly little status display cycle.

After watching the V2.0 firmware preview video I don't hold out a lot of hope that it will fix anything on this phone worth mentioning.

After all to boost the speed and responsiveness we've:

1. Turned off the autorotation sensor
2. Turned of theme transitions
3. Turned off the vibrate feedback

and it still isn't fast enough to meet the expectations that Nokia created in their advertisements!
Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
I read part of a review on this site, re the i8910 and one aspect which was weak was Call Quality. What's been your experience of this - good / bad?

I find the call quality great. If not better, than at the same level as other "good" phones . Definitely better than the N97 I had, which I found had a very weak ear piece.

Also on the Omnia HD you can change the default values for the speaker and for the ear piece volume. Not sure if you can do it on the N97 or not.

Having owned the orginal N95, N85 and the N96, I really wanted to love the N97, but sadly it left me very much disappointed. But then again, I am quite happy it did, because if it hadnt, I would have never bought the Omnia HD