All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-08-2003, 09:02 PM

I tried the demo but wasn't able to send any messages from my 7650. It waits a while and then always says something about a java exception error. I tried via a dial-up gprs on my phone and through bluetooth (mRouter) which I use for lots of other things. No joy.
Ads

Old 31-08-2003, 09:15 PM

Just tried latest version as well. Still no joy.

Old 31-08-2003, 09:25 PM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
What exactly is the exception? What network are you on?

Razvan

Old 31-08-2003, 09:27 PM

T-Mobile

The exception box doesn't stay on the screen for long. I'll try to make a note of it and post here shortly.

Old 31-08-2003, 09:29 PM

T-Mobile where? What country? Maybe someone on the same network as you can help you set up your phone.

Razvan

Old 31-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Error box dissapears so far. But this is what I could grab.

java.io.exception

Old 31-08-2003, 09:34 PM

T-Mobile UK

I don't think there could be anything wrong with my phone. The GPRS works fine for lots of other things such as msn, irc, web browsing, emails, etc.

Old 31-08-2003, 09:36 PM

Ok, two things for you to check: firmware version on your phone (make sure it's 3.14 or newer). Second: try setting your gateway in the GPRS settings to 0.0.0.0. Let me know if it fixes the problem.

Razvan

Old 31-08-2003, 09:43 PM

Firware is v3.16, gateway is already set to 0.0.0.0

Old 31-08-2003, 09:47 PM

Anyone else on T-Mobile that has SMSXtender working? What GPRS settings do you use (if it works for you)?

Razvan

Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 AM

petran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
There will be a release later next week that will probably include support for the Greek language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
We have just released version 1.1.0 of SMSXtender
So, does 1.1.0 also include support for the Greek language?

Currently I send sms with SMSXtender containing Greek chracters by first writing and converting the message on the PC with a little program I've made, then put the text in a txt file and send it to the phone (i.e. over BT). Then I paste the contents of the txt file in SMSXtender.

I must warn you of this: Sometimes the recepient receives the message with all the Greek characters (but just those) appearing as triangles. I've seen this sometimes happen with other sms gateways, too. I suppose some do not allow non-Latin character codes? As an example, smsdriver indicates that Greek characters are supported only by 2 of its Gateways.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:50 PM

Urpo is on a distinguished road
I bought this great software yesterday!! And now I dont have any friends!

But drazvan, is it possible that SMSXtender could be symbian program (.sis). So then there would be larger message area where to write, like in 7650 normal SMS-program. And there would be differend folders like sent, draft, etc...

Old 01-09-2003, 06:16 PM

KROSS is on a distinguished road
I am on T-mobile and have it working, I had the same error, all you have to do is, before you actually open the app (just highlight it) , go into settings and set the access point as none. Then when you attempt to send a message, it will ask you which access point to use, choose gprs. I dont know why but if you have gprs selected in 'access point' settings, then you get the error.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Thanks KROSS! As for the Greek version, I didn't have time to implement it yet... it's been quite a whirlwind around here, this has been more successful than we ever dreamed of . I'm spending a lot of time each day creating new accounts, answering emails, providing test credits for people, etc. But please don't stop .. I'll find some time to actually add some new features, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks everyone,
Razvan

Old 01-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROSS
I am on T-mobile and have it working, I had the same error, all you have to do is, before you actually open the app (just highlight it) , go into settings and set the access point as none. Then when you attempt to send a message, it will ask you which access point to use, choose gprs. I dont know why but if you have gprs selected in 'access point' settings, then you get the error.
There's no option to set the access point as 'none' - only to choose from available access points. Still not working...

-Mark