All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Start twittering now with Gravity

If you are into microblogging, in particular, if you love twittering and using Symbian, this is the app you are looking for. Gravity v1.00 by Mobileways is now released, the first fully-featured and native Twitter client for the S60 platform (3rd Edition and 5th Edition). It supports multiple accounts, Twitter Search, Laconica, TwitPic and wraps everything into a gorgeous looking interface. Screens and more info below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-03-2009, 07:43 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
wow! I knew this client would be good from what I had read around, but it seriously impressed me!

edit: heck, why not, linking my impressions: http://www.fwrnando.com/2009/gravity-for-s60-is-out/

Last edited by fernando20; 31-03-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Ads

Old 30-03-2009, 09:46 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I've downloaded the trial version, but it doesn't work on my 5800. When I launch it, three buttons appear for a couple of seconds on the screen (labelled "<", "New", and ">") and then the app quits .

Old 30-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Great app !

Really moves the bar on Twitter apps on s60. I was getting pretty frustrated by the "internal server error" coming up from twibble most times I tried to use twitpic so far no problems at all with Gravity. Looks like I'd better buy it.

Has anyone worked out if you can set a notification for incoming tweets ? I liked the single Vibrate in Twibble and figure this puppy must have something in that area .... Can't find anything except a tweet from someone saying it's well integrated with the notification systems?? Maybe it was sarcasm, bit hard to tell in a tweet !

Old 30-03-2009, 10:44 AM

dion is on a distinguished road
That was me .. Signed up now (thought I already had but was running out of login tries ..)

Old 30-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

[at]rvirga: same here, did crash when entering my name/pw. tried again and works fine now.
- Marius

Old 30-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Where's the auto-update? Did I miss something?

Old 30-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Cardigan is on a distinguished road
Smile Nice app, but...

Hi,

I had also some issues getting this to work on my E71. At the end there were too much pictures on my SD card. Reducing the number caused the app to work.

Now there are two major things, which hold me back to switch

- No sound when new tweet comes in
- Program is in offline mode after start. It should go automatically online with pre-selected access point

Otherwise the app is very cool and I hope to switch soon from twibble to Gravity.

Br, Oliver

Old 30-03-2009, 12:46 PM

dmcconachie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
- No sound when new tweet comes in
- Program is in offline mode after start. It should go automatically online with pre-selected access point
Agree, these are just about dealbreakers for me (although twibble doesn't start automatically either!

Old 30-03-2009, 01:34 PM

demowayne is on a distinguished road
Works well here on my 5800!

Agree with auto online and predefined access point.

Would also like to see twitpic thumbnails in the tweets like on m.slander.net and the ability to tweet my location from the GPS.

Still paid for a copy, updated will come...

Old 30-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
How is it that this app which is much the same as twitterberry etc feels it establishes itself with a 8 price tag as oppposed to many other twitter type apps being free...

Wheres the hook? A 10 day free trial?

I mean as you see in this thread too... theres some issues with it... its not twitter perfection atm?!

Old 30-03-2009, 01:58 PM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
How is it that this app which is much the same as twitterberry etc feels it establishes itself with a 8 price tag as oppposed to many other twitter type apps being free...

Wheres the hook? A 10 day free trial?

I mean as you see in this thread too... theres some issues with it... its not twitter perfection atm?!
So far I'm liking Gravity very much, with only a couple of small quibbles, and find it well worth the price. I bought it without a trial, based on previewer's assessments, and my previous experience with the developer's WirelessIRC product (which also supported Twitter). But if the market decides it's not worth the current price, then it the price will go down, or the quality will go up, or it will fail.

Old 30-03-2009, 02:19 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
An update: there's something in my microsd card Gravity doesn't like. With the card in, it crashes on startup. With the card out it's fine, and it's also OK if I insert the card after having started it. It's probably some picture, or maybe the fact that on the 5800 you can organize the pictures in folders (I believe I have the same set of pictures on the 5800 and on the N82, and on the N82 it starts up fine).
Like Unregistered above, I've also experienced a crash the first time I added an account.
Perhaps it should have stayed in beta a little longer. 7.86 euros is not much, but I'm not buying it until they fix these problems.

Old 30-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Beta???

Agreed with the need for a sound when a new tweet is there, the Twitter part of Fring does this on my 5800. Plus maybe a screen light up as well.
Over all this is a nice neat package and something that Symbian phones have been short of.
I was using the Stew beta as well as Fring to tweet but this is by far a more complete application, from usability to interface.

However it has crashed out 3 times so far on my 5800 in a little over 1 hour of use. That to me means that this application is still very much under development and as such should still carry a beta tag. The developers IMHO are charging for a product that is not yet finished. I am only using the trial at present and will not pay for the product till these crashes and the other problems that others are reporting have been eliminated.

Old 30-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Almost 10 Euros per copy? Much as I love S60, I can't help feel envious of the iPhone where there are multiple twitter apps, all free or less than 3 USD. If only the developers lowered their price, they would sell 10 times as many.