All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 103 - Nokia Q4, Skyfire, iPad

In All About Symbian Insight 103 (AAS Podcast 167), the team start with news of Nokia's Q4 results, which saw an encouraging 5% upswing in smartphone market share (QoQ). We then discuss the Apple iPad news, which leads into a discussion of the importance of service ecosystems. Finally there's news of Skyfire and listener questions on advertising subsidies and dual boot devices. You can listen to AAS Insight 103 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Regarding the iPad's ecosystem for third party developers, with iPad running the same OS as the iPhone, that ecosystem has just increased in strength.

Being able to target more devices with the same code base is a boon for developers, as you get more potential customers with a bit more effort. If you look in the SDK checking the differences between the iPad and the iPhone in terms of extra API's, they are tiny.

Compare this to Nokia's apparent strategy of creating different sets of API's, all based on Qt, but slightly different from each other, resulting in more work, for a much smaller set of potential customers.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Even more importantly, compare that with Nokia's policy of releasing (beta) apps which are not even OS version specific but model-specific...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Nokiainvestor

Apple and Nokia

I don´t know about the iPad, but I do know that Apple are brilliant when it comes to making strategic decisions, and most likely they´ve done it again. I think there will probably be at least some cannibalization, just like iPod sales stagnated after the iPhone was introduced, there will be some people that would not want to buy the iPhone if they own the iPad etc. But whether this (if so), will benefit Nokia I don´t know.

What concerns me a little bit about Apple is their low R&D budget. You could compare with Nokia which I believe are maybe amongst the top companies in the world in terms of R&D budget, some $8.5b per annum, on par with for example Microsoft and General Electric, while Apple use only like $1.5B per annum on R&D. The result of this is that Apple are building up an enormous cash pile, which may at worst present a false sense of security and lead to laziness and arrogance. (Remember Microsoft´s similar cash position back in 2004). If Nokia had used only $1.5b on R&D, they´d probably had almost as high net income as Apple, and the stock might not be trading with a market cap of less than 1/3 that of Apple´s. It would also appear that Apple haven´t really done all that much the past three years. If you see the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs interview/discussion three years ago (at allthingsd) Jobs mentioned that they was working on some stuff that he couldn´t talk about (which we now know was the tablet) and Gates suggested that the Tablet would be the future and that it was like windows 92 at that point. Maybe he will be right. But my point is that Apple hasn´t been doing really much the past three years except for building a little on past inventions (like the iPhone which was again mostly built on other things already invented, like the iPod, newton, OSX, iTunes store, SDK´s etc). At some point Nokia and other companies will catch up to a lot of what Apple are doing, i.e. their user interface philosophy, beautiful graphics etc (which shouldn´t be too hard to emulate). The question is then if Apple can stay in the lead, or whether Nokia (and others) will simply sail past Apple. I think Apple should dramatically increase their R&D and start to build some real innovative stuff for the future. Maybe they plan just that.

I have to agree with the Bond movie-comparison: Steve Jobs really wants to rule the world, he (and Apple) has become more arrogant, aggressive and uncomprimising recently, I think. Apple are getting more and more enemies, Adobe, Google, Nokia, and now Amazon..., and taking profit from more and more companies, and their customers are not so happy as in the past, they´re starting to get annoyed by the level of control Apple exercise. (Maybe Apple is starting to get more like their old enemy Microsoft; "An organization that wins by exercising power starts to lose the ability to win by doing better work": http://www.paulgraham.com/apple.html).
Ads

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

nseries is also down b/c nokia upped the production on xpress series with launching 5800 navigation, X6, 5730 and other cheap touch screens

Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer thanks

.. just on the dual boot issue.
I suspect that we will see virtual machines running on host OS .. like Maemo or Android .. rather than true dual/multi boot phones. an OS image file would be in the order of 1-200MB possibly larger but certainly loadable on the newer snap-dragon powered devices.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokiainvestor View Post
It would also appear that Apple haven´t really done all that much the past three years. If you see the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs interview/discussion three years ago (at allthingsd) Jobs mentioned that they was working on some stuff that he couldn´t talk about (which we now know was the tablet) and Gates suggested that the Tablet would be the future and that it was like windows 92 at that point. Maybe he will be right. But my point is that Apple hasn´t been doing really much the past three years except for building a little on past inventions (like the iPhone which was again mostly built on other things already invented, like the iPod, newton, OSX, iTunes store, SDK´s etc). At some point Nokia and other companies will catch up to a lot of what Apple are doing, i.e. their user interface philosophy, beautiful graphics etc (which shouldn´t be too hard to emulate). The question is then if Apple can stay in the lead, or whether Nokia (and others) will simply sail past Apple. I think Apple should dramatically increase their R&D and start to build some real innovative stuff for the future. Maybe they plan just that.
Apple has already done that. In the last couple of years they have optimised MAC OS X for mobile/low power usage and designed a new processor, the A4 that is now powering the iPad. Steps that are necessary to keep relevant in the mobile world.

Nokia has stalled during that time, making Symbian Open Source and dithering with Ovi Store. Symbian is only now, almost 3 years after the introduction of iPhone OS, talking about the design of a competitor UI. The next generation of devices (the Maemo ones) is being designed by a group using a completely unproven method of creating compelling devices.

Quote:
I have to agree with the Bond movie-comparison: Steve Jobs really wants to rule the world, he (and Apple) has become more arrogant, aggressive and uncomprimising recently, I think. Apple are getting more and more enemies, Adobe, Google, Nokia, and now Amazon..., and taking profit from more and more companies, and their customers are not so happy as in the past, they´re starting to get annoyed by the level of control Apple exercise. (Maybe Apple is starting to get more like their old enemy Microsoft; "An organization that wins by exercising power starts to lose the ability to win by doing better work": http://www.paulgraham.com/apple.html).
In the mobile world, operators exert a lot more control than Apple does. If you talk about profit taking, what about operators taking upto 60% of an apps sales price? Doing what? A bit of billing. Apple manages that as part of their 30% cut.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
They'll do it again

The iPad will surely become a game changing product which will play a pivotal role in giving rivals ideas to make their homegrown 'iPad killers'.Computer Co.s ruined the tablet form factor 3 or so years ago,shipping them with bolt-on 'touch' features like scribble pads, sketch books and running a clunky WinXP tablet edition, MS never bothered to update it(with features) as well.

It will turn the tide of the whole 'portable' device industry with 'big and mature and industry leading companies' biting the dust.

"Nokia who have been in the cellphone industry since the 1980s , have Iphone as a rival smartphone, while Apple have only just started(2007 and late)."

Quite sums up the brilliant execution and an excellent planning by its CEO.

"Jon:What phone do you have?

Abc:I used to have a Nokia N95, a year back.

Jon:What do you have now?

Abc:Iphone *smirks*"

Watch this to get the joke