All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia E90

Old 11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Yes, viva S80!

I agree with all those annoyances/let downs (well, except auto-capitalisation which I'm used to from the E61i). S60 was designed for a regular phone layout, *not* for a full QWERTY Communicator - that one is obvious. And I've pointed out the shortcomings again and again since the E90 was first announced. Because S80 unfortunately is dead and buried now; what Nokia needs to do for the next Communicator is to implement a keyboard optimised version of Maemo/Linux - as used in their internet tablets - for the next communicator, in my opinion.

Well, that was the rant bit of my post... Now, believe it or not, I still love my E90! And I find it to be a significant upgrade from the 9x00 line in many areas. In my opinion it is more like an 80/20 in the improvement/set back field.

Here is where I think the E90 excels:
  • GPS - I find it very useful. Especially since it has A(ssisted)-GPS now, which means a satellite fix in just a few seconds. Is 'Maps' a perfect software for navigation? - Hell, no, but still I find useable.
  • One-handed operation - I love being able to utilise ALL the functions when it's closed. That's one of things I really hated about the previous commies - having to open the cover every time for the simplest things like checking my next appointment or setting a new alarm etc. etc...
  • Multimedia - I never thought I would get that much into that aspect of the device, but once I did, I just love snapping quick pics and videos when out and about. And the quality is quite good on the huge, true-colour screen. Also playing back videos and listening to music has been a great joy. I bought myself an 8GB memory card which is almost completely filled up now, and I use the E90 all the time to play back my whole MP3 collection through my car stereo.
  • Most of the software annoyances can be rectified by third party applications. Here's a tip: try out Handy Taskman. It is a small, easy to use task manager, but it has another very important function. When you hold in the Menu button it will replace the default task manager, and here's the brilliance of it: once you're in the new task manager you can simply type the first or the first couple of letters of any application stored on your commie and it will take you there immediately. It is so great having to avoid diving in to the cluttered mess that is the S60 folder structure I tell ya!!!
  • The hardware is pretty great, as is all the communications options - which works flawlessly pretty much every single time.
  • A dedicated hardware button to turn on-off the keyboard backlight and even adjust the screen brightness is great.
  • The built-in Active Notes can be a really useful application.
  • Themes
  • - Yes, I love a bit of eye candy, and I get bored quite easily so I find it nice to completely change the appearance of the UI from time to time...
  • The active standby screen - Yes it needs a lot more customisation options, but still, I find it very useful.
  • And last but not least - S60 has a far better third party software support than S80 ever did. Speaking of which...-Switch, there is a freeware called S60SpotOn that will keep your screen backlight lit for those eBooks sessions I'm a big eBook reader myself.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
[*]Multimedia - I never thought I would get that much into that aspect of the device, but once I did, I just love snapping quick pics and videos when out and about. And the quality is quite good on the huge, true-colour screen. Also playing back videos and listening to music has been a great joy. I bought myself an 8GB memory card which is almost completely filled up now, and I use the E90 all the time to play back my whole MP3 collection through my car stereo.
I've only got 2GB and it's split between SCUMM VM games and MP3s, but it is surprisingly good and sounds better than my wifes W950i. Dunno what her new W960 will be like, probably better again.
Quote:
[*]A dedicated hardware button to turn on-off the keyboard backlight and even adjust the screen brightness is great.[*]The built-in Active Notes can be a really useful application.
Agreed and agreed. I'm quite a heavy user of the active notes function, but then I used to have a fair number of notes scattered on my Desk anyway.
Quote:
[*]Themes[*] - Yes, I love a bit of eye candy, and I get bored quite easily so I find it nice to completely change the appearance of the UI from time to time...
Hey, I spent ages going through the 9500 working out and showing people how to make custom skins for it. Not my fault hardly anyone bothered. To be fair it was rather complicated.
Quote:
Switch, there is a freeware called S60SpotOn that will keep your screen backlight lit for those eBooks sessions I'm a big eBook reader myself.
I shall have a hunt for that, cheers mate.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade View Post
Hey, I spent ages going through the 9500 working out and showing people how to make custom skins for it. Not my fault hardly anyone bothered. To be fair it was rather complicated.
Heh, yeah I remember spending countless hours making skins thanks to your guide. But, still, like you mentioned, it is a hell of a lot easier to change skins now, and you can change almost all parts of the UI now, even the icons.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 11-01-2008, 04:22 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
once you're in the new task manager you can simply type the first or the first couple of letters of any application stored on your commie and it will take you there immediately.
SkyeQuiKey does a similar thing from the Active Standby screen. Type in a few characters and it'll should find any contacts, apps or bookmarks that match.

(If you're using the front keypad, it will find contact matched who's phone number contains the number you've type and contacts who's name matches the Alphabetical equivalent of the number)

It sounds a little complicated but it's actually pretty simple once you start using it and works really well (much like the vaguely similar Quicksilver for OS X)

Old 31-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Phythip is on a distinguished road
E90 Vs 9500

Hi - I've just joined the forums, after being a Psioneer and Communicator user since 1990. I've had all of the Psions and all of the Communicators.

I received an E90 as an upgrade on O2 in November, and it was eagerly anticipated, but a big let-down. I agree with the need to move to a new platform and keep moving forward, but Nokia have created a poor marriage of hardware and software here.

Speficially, the keyboard is usless and very poor for desk-based usage. The SatNav is worse than useless given lock-on, cost of extras etc, and the software available is pretty grim.

I sold my E90 on ebay, and if you look at how many are available I think you'll see lots of people who've bought or received it as an upgrade and dumped it.

I may get another when it gets to Version 10, but for now I'm back with my 9500, 9300 and 9300i. They have the better business-focused applications, I have Tom Tom 5 loaded - which is superior, and the range of software available is more limited, but far more useful, and better written.

I travel a lot on planes and trains...so the 9500 keyboard...which is 100 times better than the e90 is perfect away from the office, and I actually find the 9500 screen better than the e90 - but that again is the marriage of DOCS to Go versus Quickoffice - which is dire.

Admittedly, I cheat - I have an N95 for Pictures and Video, and for Music...but as an all-in-one device I don't think Nokia are listening with the E90.......and I think there was always room for a new Communicator based on a faster version of series 80.

I would wait, or pick one up cheap...there is a long, long ay to go before the E90 lives up to the hype.