All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Having trouble controlling Pro Series Golf? Here are a couple of tutorials...

If you've purchased the rather good Pro Series Golf (which All About N-Gage will be reviewing very very soon), you may feel a bit lost by the controls as they're not fully explained within the game itself. However, help is at hand from two sources: the game's producer has posted a brief how-to on the official PSG forum, and N-Gage Arena member ShadowSpawn has done a more extensive illustrated tutorial on swings and putts.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Obviously most of the controls will feel very familiar to people with a lot of experience of computer golf sims, but those new to the genre may be confused by them (I certainly was!) so these tutorials are very helpful.

It's odd that the game itself doesn't teach players the controls, for example pressing up to zoom in and aim a shot precisely doesn't seem at all obvious. You can only change clubs if you zoom in and then press up and down when it's finished zooming, which again isn't really intuitive.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
shadowspawn

Talking Thanks!

Wow, I didn't think my little (rather extensive) would end up being linked! Thanks!
BTW, theres a bunch of reviews i made there too.
Ah, but this is becoming a blog advert now. :P I shall see what the game producer has to say to help the players. You'd be surprised how many players have trouble understanding the swing gauge!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
shadowspawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Wow, I didn't think my little (rather extensive) tutorial would end up being linked! Thanks!
BTW, theres a bunch of reviews i made there too.
Ah, but this is becoming a blog advert now. :P I shall see what the game producer has to say to help the players. You'd be surprised how many players have trouble understanding the swing gauge!
Sorry for the double post. I just cant stand typos.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many players have trouble understanding the swing gauge!
I think the problem may be that it's a standard gauge in golf games, so the developers assumed everyone would understand it.

But people who haven't played golf sims before don't understand it, and there's no built-in tutorial so there's no way for them to find out either.

Maybe Nokia should introduce a rule that all N-Gage games have to include a built-in tutorial or at least a text explaining every single control.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't think my little (rather extensive) would end up being linked! Thanks!
It was a great tutorial, and it was important too because like you said a lot of people don't know how to play the game.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
shadowspawn

Thank you! Glad you liked it!
There also has been a player (mod) who had played Tiger Wood on the old NGage and he couldn't work out the swing. So considering how TW is the top Golf franchise on home consoles and PSG uses a new system, it really is helpful!

I also bough the game yesterday and will review it soon. And TBH I need to practice my timing with the swing gauge. Even when you know how it works its still a little hard to use. :P

Old 06-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
There also has been a player (mod) who had played Tiger Wood on the old NGage and he couldn't work out the swing. So considering how TW is the top Golf franchise on home consoles and PSG uses a new system, it really is helpful!
Tiger Woods on the original N-Gage was rather unusual, it used a very different swing system to most other golf games. Instead of clicking twice, you had to rock back and forth on the direction pad, which was arguably more realistic but like you say it was totally different to the click-twice system.

I think the click twice thing came from PC golf games controlled mostly by the mouse, all the options menus involved clicking so they made the swing click-based too.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM

Emo185 is on a distinguished road
If you put Tiger Woods and Pro Series Golf side by side you would see alot of difference. Pro Series Golf has a slightly better and smoother graphics, with an interesting HUD when playing the game, however Tiger Woods had a better menu layout and more realistic controls (such as ur 9 inches away from hole and u have to hit softly, on pro series you hit max and it only moves 2 inches).

Pro Series isn't a bad game, is rather good - but ive only played the trial and tbh im tempted to buy the full thing and im not even a golf fan.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Emo185; read the tutorials from the first post to learn how to put (and also for explanations why max for putting).

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Can I just point out that the golf term is spelt "putt"... :-)

Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
You can. I stand corrected (not a golfer; got a greencard 10 years ago, but never started playing).
Ads

Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
shadowspawn

I updated the tutorial. it is now a lot clearer and throught! And has tips&tricks section!
Tell me if thats better than the last one. I really felt Ishould update it as I bought the game and learned more.