All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-06-2007, 04:53 PM

FaZyCrUcK is on a distinguished road
Super Ghost SIM on N95 - Works Fine

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 'Super Ghost SIM' from eBay, it cost 4.32, including postage to the U.K.

It allows you to use 2 SIM cards, on any network (assuming your phone is unlocked). It's best feature is that you don't have to reboot your phone to switch SIM's, you just go into the 'Dual SIM Card' application, under Menu\Applications, and you have the option of both installed SIM cards (it displays their actual phone numbers in the list).

You select a SIM from the menu and it takes between 10-20 seconds to completely switch, which isn't too bad. It also has an option to auto-switch every 3-99 minutes, which is also very handy.

To fit the card into the N95, you have to do a little differently from the instructions, however.

The manual tells you to place one card into the SIM card slot on the phone, then install the battery, then lay the other SIM atop the battery, and replace the cover. If you do this on the N95, you'll have an extremely hard job getting the battery cover on without snapping it. Also, when you DO manage to get it on, the cover itself loses its 'flatness' and no longer sits flush with the phone casing. It looks like it may snap off very easily.

My method is this:

Install the SIM, and the ghost SIM into the SIM slot on phone (as per the instructions).

Then fold the second SIM over, UNDERNEATH the battery, and as low to the bottom of the phone as possible. Then slot the battery back in, and press it down hard, whilst sliding the cover back on.

This leaves the cover about 1mm out of line from the phone at one end, but it feels a lot more secure, and less likely to snap.

This is a great product and I just thought I'd share that with everyone, if anyone thinks this was a pointless or useless topic, then feel free to remove it, and I apologise

Thanks everyone!

Andy

Old 14-06-2007, 05:20 PM

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
great stuff - i was looking for something like this. will get myself one of these to save me carrying around 2 phones.

any pictures please ?

Old 14-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Sorry I haven't got pics at the moment... The only cam I have lying around is the N95, so can't really show people what I am talking about!

Also, another thing...

The Bluetooth Gamepad going on eBay (around £20-ish) works with the N95 if you download the driver from manufacturers website.

This is incredibly useful for emulators, as you can use the TV-out facility in the N95, and the controller is wireless, so you can have a truly portable NES/SNES/Gameboy/Megadrive/Gamegear/Coleco/etc etc etc.

HOWEVER:
When you slide the screen to horizontal mode, the keys get messed up on the D-Pad, and you have to re-configure them. I havent worked out how to stop this yet, lol

Andy

Old 14-06-2007, 06:38 PM

SlakerBoi is on a distinguished road
I tried one of those a few months ago and it was just a waste of time.
instructions told me to crop the simcard, in the end was all a mess.

any chance you could make it work simultaneously? i mean, force phone to log on to both networks?

i got something in the back of my mind that tells me ive seen it somewhere...

Old 14-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Yeah this is a new product... you don't have to cut the SIM at all.

Theres no way to make it work simultaneously, it's just impossible, the phone would need to support it, and even if the N95 did, it would absolutely drink the battery, I would imagine.

I must say I am entirely satisfied with this product, as it allows me to use O2, for cheap calls and free texts, and then my T-Mobile Data-only SIM, so I can't complain

Andy

Old 14-06-2007, 07:47 PM

p51 is on a distinguished road
I take it you mean this one? Where is the link to the manufacturers site to get the drivers? The N95 is not listed, thats all. thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...link:middle:uk

Old 14-06-2007, 08:13 PM

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
yes there is a phone that can handle two sims
search for Shensun on google

Old 15-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Thats the same gamepad, yes...

Thats even the same guy I bought it from so I can confirm he is a very fast, good seller.

I can't post a direct link but the company is called Chainpus

You can't download the S60v3 drivers direct, you have to download all in one go, which is 70MB

I'm planning to gut a SNES controller and place the gamepad inside it, which should be cool!

Andy

Old 15-06-2007, 03:28 PM

millski is on a distinguished road
Anybody got any experience of this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-No-in-1-Sim-...QQcmdZViewItem ?

I presume I'd still have to unlock my phone for any of these multi-sim devices; I want to use Orange.fr in France, whatever network is best in Ireland and Spain and my UK Orange contract on my phone back home... Didn't even know you could stick multiple sims in a phone 'til I saw this thread though!

Old 15-06-2007, 10:34 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaZyCrUcK View Post
I can't post a direct link but the company is called Chainpus You can't download the S60v3 drivers direct, you have to download all in one go, which is 70MB

Andy
Hi Andy,

The chainpus website appears to be offline. Could you upload the 70Mb GhostSIM drivers pack (incl. N95 drivers) to somewhere on the net such as megaupload.com and let us know the download file?

Cheers,
Dez

Old 16-06-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Hi Andy,

The chainpus website appears to be offline. Could you upload the 70Mb GhostSIM drivers pack (incl. N95 drivers) to somewhere on the net such as megaupload.com and let us know the download file?

Cheers,
Dez
What a great idea:

I have put just the S60v3 drivers up, heres the link:

www.megaupload.com/?d=HKK05YFF

It is only 69KB

Old 16-06-2007, 09:49 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaZyCrUcK View Post
What a great idea:

I have put just the S60v3 drivers up, heres the link:

www.megaupload.com/?d=HKK05YFF

It is only 69KB
Cheers!

One question... gamepad.sis ?? Is this the GhostSIM program? Was slightly surprised at the filename... lol

Last edited by dez_borders; 16-06-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Old 16-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Oh, sorry! I thought you wanted the gamepad drivers!

the ghost SIM doesn't require a driver, all the data is in the SIM card itsself, so just put it in and go!

Andy
Ads

Old 16-06-2007, 02:05 PM

markzoe is on a distinguished road
Please advise will this work in a n95 for o2 and t-mobile formymobile.co.uk/ proddetail.php?prod= supersim2

Old 16-06-2007, 04:55 PM

I would imagine that would work fine, as it's essentially the same product I'm using, but you have to cut the SIM cards to size, which if anything would make a cleaner install than mine

Andy