All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-01-2003, 09:56 PM

petran is on a distinguished road
BLB-2 Battery: 750 or 830 mAh ???

I had always thought the BLB-2 battery that comes with the 7650 is a 750 mAh battery. But I just saw at nokia.com that it is referred to as an 830 mAh one. Read about it here.
Quote:
Battery Cell BLB-2
Inserted under the back cover, this Li-Ion 830 mAh battery provides power in a lightweight package.
What gives?? :puppydogeyes:

Old 26-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Zippy172 is on a distinguished road
Yup, it's 830mAh... I said in another thread that it was 850mAh, my bad... still it's deffo more than 750...

The product I'm working on at work has enough physical space for a Li-Ion cell no bigger than 33x45x6, the only cell I can find to fit that space is 750mAh, and the BLB-2 is bigger than that envelope so it has to have a higher capacity.

HTH

Old 26-01-2003, 10:54 PM

petran is on a distinguished road
Well, maybe I am not the appropriate person to argue over this due to my very little knowledge on the subject, but the fact that up to 1100mAh batteries exist for the 7650 and therefore are the same size, indicates that the size of it does not indicate its capacity, don't you agree?

Old 26-01-2003, 11:07 PM

Not really.. here's why...

The Li-Ion cell in the 7650 is a prismatic cell... they come in two flavours, Hard Carbon or Graphite... Some differences between the two technologies boil down to how fast you can charge them and their longevity (in service shelf life, circa 2 years for "normal" graphite cells)...these also affect the capacity (to a lesser extent)

However, as I'm digging deeper into Li-Ion cell technology in work (http://www.lion-breath.com) and speaking to various battery suppliers in the UK, it is notoriously difficult to maintain a consistant and reliable source of Li-Ion cells in reasonable quantities (>50K per annum)

Having said that, Nokia as a mobile phone manufacturer do NOT make the Li-Ion cells. That job is almost certainly sub-contracted out to the big boys like Sony or Maxell or Panasonic... The 1.1Ah cells you refer to are almost certainly manufactured by another company other than that of the supplier for Nokia. As far as I can tell (at the moment) there are very very few standards for prismatic cells, certainly nothing as standard as your proverbial AA cell from Energizer...

Therefore, different cells from different manufacturers using slightly different Li-Ion technologies will produce differing capacities for a given cell size...

HTH

Old 27-01-2003, 08:17 AM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Well, a few days ago I bought an original Nokia BLB-2 battery for my 7650 and behind the "package it was saying that it is 750mAh.

Maybe they just misleading their customers to buy their original products and not 3rd party(Why do you think they say that a 3rd party battery can damage your phone and also the originals are much more expensive and have lower capacity than the 3rd party's, I regreted buying the original)!!!

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 27-01-2003, 01:52 PM

cgo is on a distinguished road
zippy....i am considering of getting a 1200mAH battery for my nokia 7650 but someone told me that it might actually damage the ic in the phone. Is this possible?

Old 27-01-2003, 02:11 PM

No, no and thrice no!! Fitting a larger capacity battery will simply take longer to charge...the charging circuitry in the phone will only be able to supply a fixed amount of current (typically 300 to 400mA), so, regardless of the capacity, this figure cannot be exceeded...

HTH

Old 29-01-2003, 06:57 PM

few das ago i buy china made battery, marked as 1000 mAh.

this battery works for one day, and then ask for recharge.

i have tested this battery for 5 days, and get the same result.

then, i have given the battery back, and have returned the money.

I think, it was not 1000mAh, but 500mAh.

Native battery works in my phone about two days.

Old 29-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy172
No, no and thrice no!! Fitting a larger capacity battery will simply take longer to charge...the charging circuitry in the phone will only be able to supply a fixed amount of current (typically 300 to 400mA), so, regardless of the capacity, this figure cannot be exceeded...

HTH
So,what you are saying is that a larger capacity battery will not have any effect on the phones's battery live? It will only take longer to charge and the battery live will stay the same?
Or did i misinterpret something here?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 29-01-2003, 08:41 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
i heard something about how one of the batteries didn't fit and that it made the back of the phone stick out slightly., or something like that/

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 29-01-2003, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Quote:

HTH
So,what you are saying is that a larger capacity battery will not have any effect on the phones's battery live? It will only take longer to charge and the battery live will stay the same?
No, what I'm saying is this: If you fit a higher capacity battery, because the charging circuitry charge current capability is fixed at the max rate suitable for the standard Nokia supplied battery (BLB-2) it will simply take longer to charge the higher capacity battery... Your phone will also stay powered up for longer due to the higher capacity battery...

Put it another way:

A kitchen tap allows water to flow at a maximum rate of 1 litre per minute, not a drop faster. You have a bucket that hold exactly 1 litre of water... As you would expect, the bucket would therefore take exactly 1 minute to fill (as the tap can only provide water at the rate of 1 litre a minute)...

You then use the water in the bucket to water some house plants. Each house plant needs 100ml of water each, therefore you can water 10 plants before the bucket is empty.

Now, your mate lends you another bucket that holds 1.5 litres of water... From the deduction you made above, it's easy to work out that it would take 1.5 minutes to fill the bucket with water from the tap above.

Becasuse this bucket has a 50% higher capacity than your previous bucket, you are able to water 15 house plants... Yeah?

Now, in the above analogy:

the 1L bucket is the standard Nokia BLB-2 830mAh Li-Ion cell
the 1.5L bucket is any other brand 1.2Ah Li-Ion cell
the tap is the charging circuitry inside the 7650
the house plants are the number of days your phone will stay on (hypothetically speaking, I know it doesn't last that many days !!)

This is *exactly* how the charging methodology works in the 7650.

HTH

Old 29-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Quote:

HTH
No, what I'm saying is this: If you fit a higher capacity battery, because the charging circuitry charge current capability is fixed at the max rate suitable for the standard Nokia supplied battery (BLB-2) it will simply take longer to charge the higher capacity battery... Your phone will also stay powered up for longer due to the higher capacity battery...

Put it another way:

A kitchen tap allows water to flow at a maximum rate of 1 litre per minute, not a drop faster. You have a bucket that hold exactly 1 litre of water... As you would expect, the bucket would therefore take exactly 1 minute to fill (as the tap can only provide water at the rate of 1 litre a minute)...

You then use the water in the bucket to water some house plants. Each house plant needs 100ml of water each, therefore you can water 10 plants before the bucket is empty.

Now, your mate lends you another bucket that holds 1.5 litres of water... From the deduction you made above, it's easy to work out that it would take 1.5 minutes to fill the bucket with water from the tap above.

Becasuse this bucket has a 50% higher capacity than your previous bucket, you are able to water 15 house plants... Yeah?

Now, in the above analogy:

the 1L bucket is the standard Nokia BLB-2 830mAh Li-Ion cell
the 1.5L bucket is any other brand 1.2Ah Li-Ion cell
the tap is the charging circuitry inside the 7650
the house plants are the number of days your phone will stay on (hypothetically speaking, I know it doesn't last that many days !!)

This is *exactly* how the charging methodology works in the 7650.

HTH
I just asked my mate for a bucket and he said that he doesn't have one,so..your analogy sucks!!!

I did misenterpret your post,thank you for clearing things up

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.