All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Latest and greatest Python

According to Forum Nokia, Python for S60 1.4.5 is now officially released and more powerful than ever. Picking the SIS files to grab is now simpler and there are several important under-the-hood improvements, not least that a Python script can now control Python code in processes that the script didn't start. Oh, dash it, just install the thing, won't you? It'll make all those useful Python mini-apps smoother than ever. Hopefully...

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM

cyke64 is on a distinguished road
Hello steven ,

Here are my remarks about your statement about the new PyS60 version

Python for S60 1.4.5 is now officially released
In fact PyS60 1.4.5 was released before in Mobile Server 1.5 beta but not officialy released but it was the same version as now.

Picking the SIS files to grab is now simpler
Could you elaborate this because I don't see why it's now simpler than before

and there are several important under-the-hood improvements, not least that a Python script can now control Python code in processes that the script didn't start.

These C++ functions in the CSPyInterpreter class ( InitializeForeignThread() and FinalizeForeignThread() ) are not directly available in the PyS60 library in your Python script Originally PyS60 1.4.5 was made for in Mobile Web Server 1.5.

It has support for allowing threads created independently from PyS60 to be used with PyS60. There is a need for this in MWS where threads are created by Apache, and Python code may be executed by any thread.

But even Python 1.4.5 DON'T USE these functions. You can use it in your C++ source but not in Python unless someone release a extension library for PyS60 ...

BR
Cyke64

Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I bow to your technical expertise. I was trying to paraphrase some of the improvements in layman's language to encourage general phone users to upgrade to the latest runtime.

The comment on picking the right SIS was because there's now only one obvious SIS file to pick for the main runtime, rather than two (used to be an unsigned one as well)....

Now if the developers could just do away with having to have the scriptshell as a separate SIS......

Old 07-12-2008, 02:42 PM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
No certificate to install on Samsung i8510 :(