All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-06-2009, 05:23 AM

bheetebrij is on a distinguished road
Firmware update on operator linked N97

Hi all!

I am currently quite torn between buying an N97 or iPhone 3GS on my operator - Movistar - here in Spain. My last two smartphones have been unlocked, but this time around I wanted to enjoy some carrier subsidy.

I don't mind signing a 2-year contract, but I do care the possibility of updating the firmware of the phone. I think everyone will agree that the iPhone way of doing that is pretty darn good, so now worries there. However, I wonder how I can find out what the deal is with firmware updates for a N97 linked to Movistar.

Does anyone happen to know how this sort of thing normally works and how I could find out the details? I'd ask a shop employee, but I get the feeling they have less of an idea than I do.

Thanks!

Bas

Old 26-06-2009, 04:34 PM

8Ball is on a distinguished road
Don't know how it works in Spain, but in the UK the N Series can be updated over the air via an application on the phone. Usually the unbranded phones get it first while the carriers add branding to the update.

Old 28-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks 8Ball.

Yesterday I went to Telefonica's (Movistar) flagship store here in Madrid, basically to pick up the new iphone (yes, shame on me). After 3 horrible hours in the shop, eventually they couldn't sell me the iPhone. I'll spare you the details, but I have decided switching to Vodafone after yesterday.

While in the shop I tested the N97 as well, and both the screen and the keyboard surprised me a heck of a lot (in a positive way), particularly after the reviews tag them as being a little mediocre.

In any case, VF offers the N97 here starting 1 July. I will try to get it on contract, I think.
Can anybody else chime in on how firmware updates work for you, if you happen to have it on a contract? Thanks.

I have also created a poll about this. I'd appreciate having your answer as well.
Ads

Old 28-06-2009, 09:31 AM

LJS is on a distinguished road
From personal experience Vodafone(at least in the uk) tend to be VERY slow in getting firmware updates out the thier customers. Many people, including myself take the debranding route and get firmware direct from nokia.

Old 28-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Debranding is sim-lock free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
From personal experience Vodafone(at least in the uk) tend to be VERY slow in getting firmware updates out the thier customers. Many people, including myself take the debranding route and get firmware direct from nokia.
Thanks, LJS. That sounds useful. By debranding, do you mean buying sim-lock free?

Old 28-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
Thanks, LJS. That sounds useful. By debranding, do you mean buying sim-lock free?
debranding means buying on a network and flashing the device with nokias original software, so its then like a sim free version, its easy to do and costs nothing.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 28-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Sounds interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
debranding means buying on a network and flashing the device with nokias original software, so its then like a sim free version, its easy to do and costs nothing.
Sounds interesting, Biggzy. Do you know where I can find out about that? It's the first time I have heard of debranding. TIA!!

Old 28-06-2009, 06:52 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
You think Vodafone take a while to get their branded firmware out there?! Try Three! In 7 months of E71 ownership, there were 3 or 4 Nokia firmware updates, and no (that's zero) Three firmware updates.

Lucky for me I bought the E71 after a few firmware updates had already happened and it was pretty stable.

Bought my N97 SIM free to avoid any future hassles and to give me the option of changing operators when I fancy it.

Old 28-06-2009, 06:58 PM

marks960 is on a distinguished road
Nintendo R4

Old 28-06-2009, 06:59 PM

marks960 is on a distinguished road
Juego Nintendo R4

Old 28-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Sounds interesting, Biggzy. Do you know where I can find out about that? It's the first time I have heard of debranding. TIA!!
i can help you do it, its easy, use msn? add me biggzyn80@hotmail.com, the whole flashing etc takes bout 15 - 20 mins
works fine on windows XP, not sure bout vista.
iv done this myself to my voda n97 (it had a vodafone splash screen when booting the phone up) and now its gone )

Last edited by Biggzy; 28-06-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Old 28-06-2009, 08:21 PM

@Biggzy, is it a process similiar to that described in this blogpost I googled?

Are there any risks involved in rebranding?

Old 28-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
@Biggzy, is it a process similiar to that described in this blogpost I googled?

Are there any risks involved in rebranding?
its the same except with software called jaf as nemesis dont work with new nokia devices, theres risks your phone could die, but theres no more of a risk than doing a standard software update, its quite sefe, iv flashed over 40 phones and not 1 had any probs during flashing etc.

Old 30-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
its the same except with software called jaf as nemesis dont work with new nokia devices, theres risks your phone could die, but theres no more of a risk than doing a standard software update, its quite sefe, iv flashed over 40 phones and not 1 had any probs during flashing etc.
Thanks, Biggzy, for all that info. If I end up getting an operator specific N97, I'll use it unhacked for a month to make sure there is nothing wrong with it (so that I can still use the waranty in case it's necessary). After the test period, I'll probably debrand it so that I can get the generic firmware updates as soon as they are availabe.

Old 30-06-2009, 10:57 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Subsidies

What about going to the shop , asking for a regular (not branded) device , combined with a contract , how much it will be subsidied ?
It is maybe less than branded , but no firmware hassle !

Regards jApi NL