All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-02-2010, 11:07 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Nokia Android Phones?

According to the T3 website, Nokia re due to release an Android based phone later this year - anyone any the wiser?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 19-02-2010, 12:10 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
N900 has already been demostrated to dual boot into Android:

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n900-...video-2371099/
Ads

Old 19-02-2010, 02:03 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Given Nokia's MeeGo join announcement with Intel re. Linux, I don't believe for a second that Nokia would do an Android phone, until they decide to scrap maemo/MeeGo.

Whether Nokia hardware can run Android (like the N900) due to someone else's efforts, that's a different matter, and doesn't really put Nokia in the Android device manufacturer "camp".

Old 19-02-2010, 03:22 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Indeed. I think Nokia would be very foolish to split their development effort any further. They should stick to Symbian and - erm - Meegoo (horrible name).

Regards
Neil

Old 19-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
I thought the MeeGo idea from Nokias side was more aimed at bigger devices, tablets, netbooks, etc. rather than being developed as a phone system, I know it will run on phones but I'd only expect to see it on high end niche market devices like the n900 rather than mass market phones.

I really doubt Nokia will adopt Android, there are plenty of manufacturers using that already and Nokia are going to be concentrating on getting S^3 right - which already looks like a promising competitor to Android, iPhone OS and Windows Mobile Series 7.

I think this year will be very interesting in terms of development though - previews of S^3 and Win7 look excellent, Android has really matured and is picking up market share faster and faster, plus obviously there'll be the new iPhone to compete with. Personally I'm not at all interested in iPhone, and still don't think I'd go Windows, but Android is really tempting me, free Ovi maps is a massive thing to make me stick with Nokia, but I can't wait to see what Nokia do with S^3 towards the end of the year.

Old 20-02-2010, 04:33 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Yeah likewise. The iPhone still looksa bit gimmicky to me plus I don't want to be just another one of the herd. After the experience of the N97, I'm looking quite interestingly at an Android device to see what they might offer in the near future. But I'm sticking with the N97 for at least another 12 months by which time, there should be more Android stuff out there and maybe the new version of Symbian?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 20-02-2010, 09:22 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
IIRC Nokia made an announcement last year amidst rumours they were going to use Android, and said they weren't going to. Maybe T3 haven't heard the news yet.

Symbian ^3 will be out later this year. I'm hanging tight for Symbian^4 to see what it brings.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 20-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
Symbian^4 will be a good wait by the sounds of it - I didn't think they were expecting any devices to launch with it until first half of next year?
The development process seems a bit weird to me at the moment, they skipped S^2, S^3 is nearly ready yet by the time phones are shipping with that it's only going to be about 6 months before phones are expected to ship with S^4. Leaves me with a couple of thoughts, either no one will want to buy S^3 devices because they'll be outdated so soon with S^4 or S^4 won't actually be that much of an improvement/difference and they should have just integrated any changes into S^3 and made that the only option until a year or so down the line when they release something that's again radically different.

From what I've seen of S^4 previews it looks quite promising but it also seems like they're losing some of what makes Symbian the choice of OS for people like us over iPhones - the customisation. I've read that they're ditching the customisable menu and folder system and just dumping all apps in one alphabetically sorted folder - that would seriously put me off the phone as I love being able to organise and categorise my menu.
My problem is all the new OS' are looking more and more similar, which is understandable because Apple came up with a great UI. BUT that's been done, not many people want something identical to an iPhone that isn't an iPhone, Symbian and Nokia need to really push the things that make them different and make those the selling points and strengths if they want to compete - things like high levels of customisability and strong task management - the sort of stuff we already use to argue the case why the iPhone isn't as good.