All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 21-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Finding the balance between 'Full' and 'Lite' versions

One of the more interesting challenges for developers (especially those making games or leisure applications) is how much of their application to show in the 'demonstration' version of their pride and joy. Is there a magic point where 'full' and 'lite' versions cross over to help maximise sales?

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 21-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
depends on what it is, if its clock application where you pay for themes then I dont care. If its a game then I care and I hate how they are grouped in the same category as free, that just makes my blood simmer!

Old 22-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

the only reason 85% of downloads are 'free' are because the paid apps are not even available in many countries! its annoying. there are probably many high quality apps and games that i cant download simply because it is not available in my country

Old 22-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Vinicius

Not available

Apple app store is available, Android Market is becoming available. WHY can't nokia offer their paid apps around?

I bought some apps directly through their developers page, but it seems counter-intuitive to have a store (ovi) and people having to go through it to buy the apps. Specially since many developers don't offer their apps through other means.

And, on top of that, most Symbian apps are WAY more expensive then their counterparts. A simple program to connect via RPD costs almost U$40,00 in symbian, and is free on Android and Maemo, and costs U$1,99 in iOS.

This is the norm for most apps, and that's why I'm jumping out of symbian, unless I hack my phone (which I don't want to) I can't even install or buy most apps. And even then the price is so ridiculously high it is not even worth it.

Old 22-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Vinicius

Windows phone store

I bet windows phone store (or whatever) will be MORE complete, and available than ovi store, ON LAUNCH. That is the size of nokia fail.

Another store will launch and will be BETTER on launch than Ovi is after some 3 years of existance.

Old 26-07-2010, 02:49 PM

dylski is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
One of the more interesting challenges for developers (especially those making games or leisure applications) is how much of their application to show in the 'demonstration' version of their pride and joy. Is there a magic point where 'full' and 'lite' versions cross over to help maximise sales?

Read on in the full article.
We’ve have now updated the trial version of AR! Pirates at ARPirates.com to give players a better taste of the game. The trial now lets you play levels 1, 3 and 6 of the game so players can get to grips with the AR and see a little more into the game. We have also put some of the instructions upfront in the trial version to help newcomers to get started.

I hope we have struck a good balance; providing enough game play to let people get into it whilst holding back enough to make it sufficiently rewarding for users to pay the small amount required to unlock the complete game!

I hope to report back on the impact of these changes when we have gathered more data.