All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 24-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Mind_Rx is on a distinguished road
My experience with E51 - first two weeks

Hi,

I have been selfish so far and have always "looked for answers" rather than offering some on this forum. And I am not claiming that I will change that dramatically in this post, but I thought I would share my experience with the Nokia E51 in the 2 weeks I have had it.

First of all, its a T mobile upgrade phone I managed to get for free-silver(the colour I prefer). I chose this phone as the one I wanted to migrate to from windows mobile. Initially, I had thought about the E90(I want the biggest, meanest phone attitude-The phone I hope to leave is the HTC TyTn II). Then I realised that I really needed to assess my needs and opt for a phone that would match most of them.

I am a doctor and use my phone moderately to receive and make calls. I also use my phone for PIM, email, light internet browsing, making short notes, very occasionally using GPS(I want to have one when I need one). I also want something smart(read professional), compact(read-dont need anything to compromise my already unflattering body shape) and most importantly something that WILL WORK WHEN I NEED IT TO WORK.

I have had some 2-3 years experience with windows mobile/PPC and palm os(treo 650). I love the functionality of the apps like Pocket informant, SPB products, Pocket Alarm, etc. But overall, I found my experience with Windows Mobile disappointing for various reasons -
1. Ever frequent hang ups
2. Things always dont work as they should
3. Apps too complicated for their own good
4. Touch interface is not always a good thing-this is a general complaint. I think, button presses are far more confidence inspiring than screen touch manipulation. We are getting there(re:iphone) but I will wait for a couple of years. I never liked using styli.
5. HTC devices in my opinion are not well made. They have improved recently, but have some way to go to reach Nokia, SE standards.

My experience with E51

I think the E51 is a fantastic phone. Its so well made, I cannot resist making a comparison to premium german cars. The shell is sturdy, the button presses sure and reassuring, the screen bright and clear. Its a joy to hold and slips unnoticeably into any pocket.

The S60 OS may appear to be dated to someone coming from windows mobile, but my point is that when things are simple, it always works. Navigation through the menus ( to find where apps are) could be more intuitive, but it takes a few minutes to figure out.

I have downloaded the trial versions of popular S60 apps like Papyrus(PIM), Handy profiles, etc. Yes they are not even close to the functionality offered by pocket informant or Pocket Alarm, etc. but in my case I am willing to make some sacrifices for simplicity and glitch free operation most of the time.

Most of all, I am no longer anxious to use the phone. Dialling a number, saving a number, switching calls, etc were such arduous processes, what with using the stylus, not getting the buttons right on the screen, etc. Now, I dial by pressing the right buttons, intuitive menus ask me if I want to save numbers, and generally, things work.

So, I am still on a trial phase in my migration, and it looks like I will make the leap. What I have learnt is that the biggest, baddest, meanest device may not always be the sweetest.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Mind_Rx; 24-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.