All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Both are dogs

Both of these phones are dogs, Steve. I am aware you've been trying to squeeze some juice out of these machines for a long time, but they are dogs.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

I don't have an n97 but an e63 but i got iplayer by going to bbc.co.uk/moble/iplayer/iplayer.wgz, i think, and now i just spoof my user agent using iphonesque. With the N97 Mini you won't need to do this. Just download the widget. Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Both of these phones are dogs, Steve. I am aware you've been trying to squeeze some juice out of these machines for a long time, but they are dogs.
Apparently you didn't read the article, because if you had, you would have noticed that Steve didn't write the article, David Gilson did...

Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM

paulkennedy is on a distinguished road
BBC iPlayer

iPlayer was offered as a download for my N97 mini when I opened http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer in the web browser.

I have an unbranded UK mini RM-555 running firmware v 11.0.045 if that makes any difference.

Regards
Paul

Old 06-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Arnaud ZIEBA

thanks for the write up

I have long hesitated between several devices before choosing the N97 mini, mainly because of a special rebate I was able to obtain.
To be honest, since I was used to the N95, the GUI seems a bit peculiar at first, but I quickly understood the underlying design and it got better after a few hour use.
I have reached the same conclusion : it is less a entertainment multimedia mini-computer etc. tool la N900 than a very convenient messaging and communication device. Just what I needed.
Arnaud ZIEBA

Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Apparently you didn't read the article, because if you had, you would have noticed that Steve didn't write the article, David Gilson did...
So what? They are dogs anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Does the author of the article make the phone any less a dog? Nice deflection.... Typical though.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilson View Post
1) Interested to hear when and where these N97 mini's with iPlayer were bought.

Got hers from mobiles.co.uk, so it's an unlocked version (with an Orange sim). I updated to the latest Firmware (11.0.045), but don't recall installing the app. However i checked and going to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer (with the default 'web' browser) certainly brings up the 'Download BBC Iplayer' screen.

2) Are you sure you were downloading, and not just streaming iPlayer programmes?

Yup, downloading Dr Who right now. I know it's downloaded because it will check for a license before playing the file. And now its playing. Equally i know the difference between streaming and watching downloaded/stored iplayer content as i also have the i8910 (streaming only).

3) Also, I just checked the Ovi Store on the N97 mini I reviewed, and it's still not there.

Don't think you can get it from there?
Hope this helps.

(oh, btw Dr Who in the default file file format on the mini (3gp, odf?) vs a full fat .avi version on the i8910? No contest... ;-)

Last edited by UKJeeper; 06-05-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilson View Post
True, but you won't get a physical keyboard!
Ah, the irony. Let's go over this again for the hard of thinking: both these phones are terrible. Touch is pointless. S60 5th edition is appalling.

Buy an N86 8MP.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
can someone compare for me?

i noticed on the 97 classic keyboard in the pictures above that the comma has shifted to be a [shift] key, and the fullstop has become the default. is this a UK specific keyboard?

most interesting!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Okay everyone, someone caught up with me on Twitter (before I read later posts in this thread), and guided me to getting the iPlayer installed on the mini. I've updated the article accordingly.

The situation seems to be somewhat of a mess. Some of you have had iPlayer pre-installed, yet it's not available on the Ovi Store, nor does the BBC list the mini as an official device.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

Jimm

Hi symbian lovers!

I em nokia user for several years now, and my last and best enjoying phone is nokia 5800xm EU CIS2 Red, it works perfect and i have newer problem with it or software, because i always find the solution for it, but is shame... that such a miracle phone to be made on plastic materials, i wonder if nokia could ewer build better covers for n5800xm, but i know they will not do that lol.

I was looking for better symbian phone with metallic covers and better screen not so easy to scratch as it it with n5800xm, the samsung HD it still expensive but big and sound quality thru speakers is really ugly, and strange there is no mini qwerty keyboard on screen on portrait mode, neither Nokia97 mini has that at all, as i use mini qwerty keyboard a lot on texting and chating, and that is turning me off to not bay one or the other!
This samsung HD and N97mini i had a chance to try in shop, and their firmware was newer updated..., so i ask you guys who own this phone models if you happen to update..., do you get mini qwerty keyboard on screen after update or not??

Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
So what? They are dogs anyway.
To you maybe. Not to many others.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does the author of the article make the phone any less a dog? Nice deflection.... Typical though.
If someone posts a stupid comment like the one I commented on, and gets the author wrong, it kinds of implies they haven't actually read the article, making their comment nothing more than ignorant bias...