All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The i8910 (and more) join the Grid

In response to popular demand, I've added the Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) to my 'choose your perfect smartphone' Grid, along with the HTC Touch Pro 2 and the HTC Touch Diamond 2. How does the Grid perform for you now? It chooses the Nokia E71 for me, followed by the 5800 XpressMusic, which isn't a million miles out. Comments welcome!

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-05-2009, 12:53 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Text entry speed
5800 XM: 6
i8910 HD: 3
Care to explain?

Also, how on earth does the 5800 XM gets a 10 in GPS and Maps, when:
1) Nokia Maps doesn't work in landscape mode; and, even worse, doesn't offer the full qwerty keyboard, so that entering addresses is quite a PITA
2) it doesn't have a compass, making walk navigation also a PITA
I thought 10 (in a scale of 10) means perfection, and the 5800 XM is far from perfect in this category.

Old 21-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

>>Text entry speed, 5800 XM: 6, i8910 HD: 3, Care to explain?

Have you TRIED typing on the i8910's virtual keyboard? I have. With no multi-touch, it's VERY tricky on a capacitive touchscreen.

>>Also, how on earth does the 5800 XM gets a 10 in GPS and Maps, when:
1) Nokia Maps doesn't work in landscape mode; and, even worse, doesn't offer the full qwerty keyboard, so that entering addresses is quite a PITA, 2) it doesn't have a compass, making walk navigation also a PITA

I've never tried using it in landscape mode, honestly. And half the score's for the hardware - the GPS is very sensitive, in my experience, and well positioned. Never had a problem with walking either. Sorry. Only the postcode bug irks me at present, other than that I'm a big Nokia Maps fan.

Old 21-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Cjp is on a distinguished road
1st e71 which iv got.2nd 5800 not got.3rd the omnia and surprisingly 4th the touch pro.now when i last did the grid the tytn 2 was on it and that came a resounding last for me.very strange how thats happened as im sure my usage hasnt changed since last on the grid and the pro is only an upgrade to the tytn2.my next 3 top results inc the iphone e90 and the touch hd.
2 windows mobiles in the top 7 and yet before never got a look in.amazing!

Old 21-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Not amazing - the Touch Pro 2 and Touch Diamond 2 are *significantly* better than their predecessors. Bigger, higher res screen, better camera, more storage flexibility and more....

Old 21-05-2009, 03:12 PM

certainly nothing to do with the camera anyway.the screen might have something to do with it as im getting rather fond of big screens.how come the n97 wasnt included?the omnia has only just appeared on orange you could ve put that 1 in.

Old 21-05-2009, 03:17 PM

answered my own question there haha.will you change the grid when the n97 comes out?

Old 21-05-2009, 03:18 PM
wiltjer

Hi Steve,
Also with me the E71 comes as the best device. And that's the one I have now. I was thinking about an upgrade... but you gave me second thought. One question: When the E71 comes out as the best phone for you, why haven't we seen this in any of you top10 top5 of the year/months ect.?

Old 21-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Unregistered

Newer N-Series

My score was E-71 then N-95. I actually have an E-71 and an N-85. Any chance updating the N-Series range to reflect the newer models, maybe retire the N-96?

Old 21-05-2009, 04:46 PM

joeyfallon is on a distinguished road
That grid of yours sure is a lot of fun Steve, nice one !

Old 21-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

@wiltjer: Eh? It's no. 3 in my most recent countdown - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sshow/ss78.html

Old 21-05-2009, 05:34 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Have you TRIED typing on the i8910's virtual keyboard?
Since the i8910 isn't on sale yet where I live, I haven't. But it has been extensively reviewed on many sites, and you're the only one who had anything negative to say about the on-screen keyboard. Just as a sample, here's what PhoneArena.com had to say:
Quote:
We activated the QWERTY keyboard to type in several test messages and we are quite pleased with it. You can actually choose the response time depending on your own typing speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I've never tried using it in landscape mode, honestly.
Do you know of a single car GPS unit which works in portrait mode? I don't. They all work in landscape mode, because landscape gives you a better picture of your surroundings. Heck, Nokia itself makes standalone GPSs, and even those all work in landscape mode only! I guess this is another instance in which your opinion is complete opposite to that of the rest of the world.

Old 21-05-2009, 06:02 PM
krisq

I have to agree with Steve. I played with Omnia HD yesterday on Samsung Live event. Writing on a capacitive screen without multitouch using full qwerty is very tricky. Harder than on 5800.

Old 21-05-2009, 07:59 PM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
Multitasking/ speed
N95 8gb (332mhz, 128mb RAM): 10 (perfect)
i8910 (600mhz, 256mb RAM): 9

Sensing a bit of favoritism for the N95 8gb, seeing as how it's been at the top of your top-10 smartphone list for several seasons now. Wouldn't want you to factor in USB transfer speeds in for this particular category between these two phones.
Ads

Old 22-05-2009, 02:13 AM

sciroccokid is on a distinguished road
This grid is really intelligent. I am going to post about this tomorrow on HDomnia Thanks! It says I should have the phone I own, ha...