All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 22-10-2009, 04:39 PM
falconer falconer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10
falconer is on a distinguished road
Skype incorporation

One of the reasons I thought (Very stupidly) that the N97 would be a good phone was the skype incorporation in the device http://about.skype.com/2009/02/skype...er_to_int.html
What ever happened to that? living in a poor reception area the appalling signal reception of this phone ( I have never come across a phone with such bad reception) is a huge problem on it's own, use of a true skype client would make the phone at least a little useful.
As it is I don,t some how think V2 is going to solve the reception problem, or the most useless gps I have come across (viewranger is (well was ) one of my most used apps.
I think this phone is heading to ebay, I'd love to go for a N900 but the problem is it's a nokia, will they deliver any better with that?

  #2  
Old 22-10-2009, 05:13 PM
celios celios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 471
celios is on a distinguished road
They are supposed to be adding Skype integration after the latest (firmware v20) update. Apparently the new firmware will add some additional stuff for IP telephony and then Skype will sit on top of that.

How long this will take is anybody's guess!

  #3  
Old 22-10-2009, 05:27 PM
falconer falconer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10
falconer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post

How long this will take is anybody's guess!
It says Q3, but on present progress I assume thats 2010

  #4  
Old 23-10-2009, 07:38 AM
nbriscoeuk nbriscoeuk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 152
nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
They are supposed to be adding Skype integration after the latest (firmware v20) update. Apparently the new firmware will add some additional stuff for IP telephony and then Skype will sit on top of that.

How long this will take is anybody's guess!
I will be very pleased if they do add a SIP stack (I assume thats what the added stuff for IP telephony means). Then I can upgrade from the current "sawn off" version of Truphone I have to the full version. Will be much better.

Regards
Neil

  #5  
Old 23-10-2009, 07:47 AM
celios celios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 471
celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriscoeuk View Post
I will be very pleased if they do add a SIP stack (I assume thats what the added stuff for IP telephony means). Then I can upgrade from the current "sawn off" version of Truphone I have to the full version. Will be much better.

Regards
Neil
They claimed (I think) that v20 would provide a functioning SIP stack but a few people who have used the version on RDA haven't managed to find any evidence:

Quote:
nothing you havent already heard...

c:\ is only 44mb
ram is 34.4 with a full screen of widgets but nothing else open, music player seems a bit funkier, it has a hide instead of exit when you come out of the music screen so i guess it doesnt stop playing anymore unless you exit it. with no widgets it shows 35.1mb ram

the only new widget i can see is vlingo and wlan (not sure if it was there anyway)

the kinetic scolling DOES seem to work everywhere, but thats obviously with the mouse and not my finger !

new youtube app by the look of it, also vlingo. but boingo is still there

quick office is ver 4.2.406
maps 3.01 09wk38
ovi store looks the same but the search seems like it kinda actually works maybe?
doesnt appear to be any new themes

no skype/msn and nothing to suggest any voip apps, and no sip profiles on there, although it has got video sharing now which i dont remember before ?? might be wrong.... oh only got 2 minutes left....



it seems quicker even tho this is just the rda...
http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/noki...hedule-10.html

So I guess it's a case of wait and see what the final released firmware brings.
Ads

  #6  
Old 23-10-2009, 09:29 AM
willem hordijk's Avatar
willem hordijk willem hordijk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Holland Rotterdam
Posts: 32
willem hordijk is on a distinguished road
Using Fring www.fring.com for a skype call!
Is a good solution!

  #7  
Old 23-10-2009, 09:47 AM
celios celios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 471
celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem hordijk View Post
Using Fring www.fring.com for a skype call!
Is a good solution!
I've had mixed results using Fring for Skype.

Ideally something that is integrated into the phone - contacts, availability, etc - is what we need, and it's what they promised.

There is a Skype Lite client (Java) that works for the N97, but to call out it uses a local phone number.

  #8  
Old 23-10-2009, 10:06 AM
willem hordijk's Avatar
willem hordijk willem hordijk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Holland Rotterdam
Posts: 32
willem hordijk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
I've had mixed results using Fring for Skype.

Ideally something that is integrated into the phone - contacts, availability, etc - is what we need, and it's what they promised.

There is a Skype Lite client (Java) that works for the N97, but to call out it uses a local phone number.
Thats why I advice fring.
Fring is calling over wifi or umts and in a good quality.
So why not.
If skype friends calling me I get a ringtone over my n97 always online on skype by fring simpel no nonsense.
Skype calling your friends by the fring applicaton.
switchon skype on the fing.

Last edited by willem hordijk; 23-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.

  #9  
Old 23-10-2009, 10:29 AM
nbriscoeuk nbriscoeuk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 152
nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem hordijk View Post
Thats why I advice fring.
Fring is calling over wifi or umts and in a good quality.
So why not.
If skype friends calling me I get a ringtone over my n97 always online on skype by fring simpel no nonsense.
Skype calling your friends by the fring applicaton.
switchon skype on the fing.
I've used Fring for this. Its fine for outgoing. Incoming can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. The call lands on the phone eventually, but the caller hears lots of ring tone before the call connects. Many give up.

Regards
Neil
 

Bookmarks

Tags
incorporation, skype

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skype on N97 (Three) edie209 Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) 4 13-07-2009 04:56 PM
Nokia to integrate Skype into S60 Contacts slitchfield Series 60 17 21-02-2009 10:58 PM
Free eBay, Skype and Windows lvie messenger on 'Three'? devilfish Nokia N80 0 10-01-2008 08:05 PM
Skype PTT client for Series 60 2.0+ Rafe Series 60 6 05-01-2006 10:05 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy