All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 20-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Rita's love hate relationship with the Nokia E52

You've got to love the way Rita el-Khoury splits her reviews into an unusual 'love' and then 'hate' list format. She's been trialling the Nokia E52 and here presents her '6 things she loves' and '6 things she hates'. Some of them I found somewhat shocking - specifically the build quality/light leakage photo.

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
Has the spec, has the tech, but sadly built on the cheap.
I have had an E51 for almost 2 years which has suffered SERIOUS heavy (ab)use and STILL not a squeak to be heard or a creak to be felt. Unless you've owned one you won't appreciate just how solidly built this phone is. E52? Had one replacement due to poor build issues, and this is still creaky, squeaky, cheap and nasty for an E Series. Light leakage is extremely bad as reviewed too. I was SO looking forward to this phone but after nearly 2 months use the disappointment still keeps growing.

Old 20-11-2009, 07:45 PM
51er

Unhappy Agreed.

I wanted to replace my E51 too with the E52. Returned the E52 after a week because of build quality as well. First time I do so with a Nokia E-series. Might try the E55...

Old 20-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
Well the E55 is the same build, just a different input system. Had considered the E72 but seeing as the keys around the D-Pad are EXACTLY the same think I'll pass on that one (yet another issue!) Makes me very sad that my (very) old S40 phones (and plastic!) are built better than this.

Old 20-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, I'm considering a top 10 list, identifying the best built Symbian smartphones of all time. Any recommendations?

Off the top of my head:
E51
E61
E61i
E90
N86
N97 mini
Sony Ericsson P900
Samsung G810
Samsung i8910 HD
E75

What else am I missing?

Old 20-11-2009, 08:33 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
100% Agree with the E51 being at the top of that list (if it is indeed in order). Although it did have one Achilles heel - the soft rubber buttons.

Old 20-11-2009, 08:46 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
I used an E51 for around 6 months. I had a 6300 before it and an E61i and an E71 after it. The E51 was easily the cheapest feeling of them all. The keys had too much travel and the d-pad sounded hollow and too clicky. It also didn't have that solid as a brick feel of the 6300 or E71. I just couldn't gel with the handset itself but it did open my eyes to the magic of S60 compared to S40. Still loving Symbian but using Android at the moment for a change of scenery. Spent 6 months with a 5800 but it couldn't inspire me to move up to the N97. The mini however. . . .

Top Symbian smartphones for me (not in any real order)

E71
N95 8GB
N82
E50

Old 20-11-2009, 08:57 PM

joeyfallon is on a distinguished road
Don't laugh but the original N Gage was very solid.

Amongst the abuse mine took was a 4 foot drop on to concrete and a fall from a bike to asphalt art top speed.

Garden pond got it in the end :(

Old 20-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
N82 was probably the best built N-Series in terms of being able to take abuse. The concrete worried, whenever I dropped mine. It did squeak a bit in the hand though sometimes.

In terms of overall BQ, I think I'd have to go for the E61..... very nicely over-engineered device.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 20-11-2009, 09:39 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
My N73 made it through the whole contract and a couple of years of being used by the kids and was still in good shape, so it gets my vote.

Old 20-11-2009, 11:00 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Not something that gonna make me stop using the device, but after using the E52 for ~6 weeks, I totally agree with Rita when it comes to the build quality issues.

Very bad move of Nokia, seeing how one of the strong points of the E-series was the superior build quality. The build quality is extremely important for me, and while I felt sort of locked into Nokia when I bought this device (partly thanks to N-Gage which already is dead), I will probably spend more time looking at devices from other manufacturers the next time I buy a device.

They should have used more metal for the device, as it is now, only the battery cover is metal. The "metallic" frame around the device should have been metal too, but it's not.

Old 20-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
E90, e71, e51, n93, n90.

Old 21-11-2009, 04:08 AM

mabs is on a distinguished road
I bought a 6630 3.5 years ago, about 3 years ago left it on the dash of my car for at least 4 hours during the aussie summer; it was about 35C that day, and on the dash (I'm guessing well over 60C) it was enough to melt the 3rd party cover and the sim card.

The original keypad was in it and wasn't effected so I did a quick cover change and ordered a new sim card. A friend bought it off me about 2 years ago and it is still working right now. The battery was changed about 2 months ago.

It wasn't until I saw the video of the Nokia testing centre video that I understood what this phone had likely gone through to make sure what happened above was less likely to cause a complete hardware failure.

Old 21-11-2009, 06:04 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Of the phones I have used:

1. N82
2. E61i
3. E51
4. 6131

I really really hope E72 is not having E52's build issues. I have waited sooo long for that phone! That's my only symbian upgrade for now otherwise, I don;t even know, what to look for in India! May be mini is good!

Old 21-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

As the maximum term that I use any one phone for is less than 12 months, I don't feel the need to consider build quaility.