All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Autotragisk is on a distinguished road
To buy or not to buy the Nokia E72

Hi im new here and perhaps many of you are to much friends of Nokia but i hope i can receive honest answers. Im thinking of buying a new smartphone. Some of the requirements i have is the following

1. Working camera, that can photo documents (macro), some videorecording
2. Excellent keyboard (qwerty)
3. Good battery for longtime use
4. Stable firmware
5. Applications to record voice calls (with no tone or beep etc)
6. Should be futureproof, 2-3 years at least (build quality, battery and new firmwares)

Ive looked alot on android phones, i really like them but they mostly have bad battery time and lousy voice recording aka you need to have loudspeaker on to record calls. Im a freelance journalist and the phone hopefully could replace my now old and lousy phone and dictaphone. Having loudspeaker on when an important call is made is a big no-no especially when sensitive information is discussed.

It seems the Nokia E72 is a good product for my demands but ive read ALOT of complaints, escpecially against the buggy firmwares (that seems to fix some issues but also making new ones). Nokia have had a history of fixing their phones over years with better and better firmware but it seems the E72 has alot of problems and firmwares have been released but many still complain. Will the E72 be supported in the future, will they try to fix it? Ive read that the E71 is alot more stable but it has worse hardware and a 2,5mm audio-out.

Give me good arguments

Sincerely

Jim

Old 28-03-2010, 05:07 PM

moserw is on a distinguished road
Barring point 5 i.e. record calls I can as an E72 user tell you it performs great in all the other areas and by far its the best phone I've used.

Old 14-04-2010, 03:51 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotragisk View Post
4. Stable firmware
6. Should be futureproof, 2-3 years at least (build quality, battery and new firmwares)
Fails these two points for a start.

Firmware is very bad out of the box and updates don't appear to fix much if anything of use to most people, and firmware updates are taking a huge amount of time to appear. It's taking 6 months+ to get firmware updates on many product codes, and worse some codes get updates in the same region whilst others don't.

Email client is seriously buggy and lacking features that should be there. e.g. No Destinations (grouped Access Points) support except in Mail for Exchange, and this is a key feature of 3rd Edition FP2. IMAP IDLE doesn't work on manually configured accounts. Nokia messaging, apart from bugs when it stops working and your account gets cancelled for no reason, works okay but there are issues such as no way to configure periodic connection. It's always on or not at all. Mail For Exchange has a habit of just disappearing entirely after working okay for a bit.

The email client is built into the firmware so it's not updatable outside of it, whereas the way Nokia are updating it in other phones, including 5th Edition, is to roll it out as an independent application. i.e. this means Destinations is supported now on 5th edition and I think some other 3rd Ed FP1 devices (maybe FP2?), but not on the E72 because it's integrated and firmware updates are not forthcoming.

For me, Destinations is the critical issue. It's the feature that would let me be able to roam about between home, work WLAN and the outside world on 2G/3G networks without having to change Internet settings. It works in other Nokia apps, but not the email client which is where it's the most useful.

Lack of IMAP IDLE in manually configured email accounts means you cannot have it always on as it consumes vast amounts of data. Though Nokia Messaging does work properly, so you can configure your mail through that (it aggregates your mail and pushes it to the phone, so long as your phone is connected. The data consumed is only that which is required to push the mail. Low on data, but drains the battery a bit more).

I've formatted this phone twice so far to fix it after apps and settings get corrupted for no reason (both email client and Destinations database have been corrupted rendering the phone near useless for Internet & Email use). Though it could be related to apps I install. I'm very careful now to only install apps I know are known to work fine with the E72. Anything else seems to kill the phone, even if you uninstall them. Essentially it's easy to break this phone.

I'm finding Nokia are releasing apps with no support for the E72. Point and Find is an example. E71 supported, many 5th edition devices too, but not the E72 and they don't seem to have plans for it. I keep coming across apps like this, and of course updates to Nokia Messaging and the email client.

Oh, and 3rd Ed FP2 is already old, even though it's newer. 5th Edition, whilst also buggy is a far newer platform, but not on E series devices, and then Symbian^3 comes out towards the end of the year which changes the game a lot, especially if we start seeing the new Qt user interface. Doesn't make devices like the E72 unusable, just old (and even less likely to see updates).

I'd love to love this phone, as it's a very nice build and design, but the software really lets it down, and lack of updates is frustrating.

Last edited by deadkenny; 14-04-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Old 26-04-2010, 12:13 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I'm also seriously thinking about buying this phone. I had an N95, then 'upgraded' to an N97. After several months of disappointment and frustration, I finally gave it up and am currently back with the N95 - which I do really like, it's a solid performer, but one thing I do miss is the QWERTY keyboard.

So the E72 looks a good bet on paper - stable OS, 5mp camera, the apps available that I would normal use ( Ovi Maps, Skype, Joikuspot ) etc.

I've read that the latest FW is v22, has this imporved the phone in some way? Even through reading the 'negative' comments, I'm still inclined to buy it, as it seems to offer me what I need. I think I've gone off the idea of fancy touchscreen phones, just want a solid hardworking device with a QWERTY, decent camera, and able to do the basics well.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 26-04-2010, 03:37 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
v22 I believe fixes some things and adds a lot more bugs.

They've just release 031.023. Like always it's only available for certain product codes though. UK CV variants still remain on 021.024 since launch!

(and 031.023 still does not fix/implement Destinations support in the email client, despite the support existing in the 5th edition version. Ridiculous for a business emailer phone!).

Old 26-04-2010, 05:39 PM

I know that feeling. With the N97, I bought it with v10, then upgraded to v11 then to v12. THe v12 was a total shambles and basically rendered the device usless as a telecommunications tool. It was in effect bricked. Had to wait for v20 which restored it to some normality.

Ok - so had a look at the thread listing E72 Product Codes and as I'm in Saudi, looking at a black Arabic ( KSA ) device, I've checked the latest FW versions and it's coming up with v31. Will hopefully sell off the N97 and quite possibly / probably get the E72.

The only thing I'd miss really with the N97 is the built in FM Transmitter, but there is only the N97 and the N900 which have this feature. I have to say, it worked brilliantly with my car, great sound quality - yeah, I know, unusual for an FM modulator connection, but I have do already have an external FM Transmitter, so will revert back to using that.
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 28-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Got myself a E72 yesterday, bought the handset here in Saudi, set me back around £245, which seems reasonable comapred to the online prices in the UK for handset only.

First thing was to upgrade the FW, and did this straightaway, now running on v31. I did find it a bit fiddly to set up my Gmail, took several attempts, but got it working in the end.

Had a mishap with some pics I took last night, when I pressed the shuuter, the image shows in the screen and it says ' Processing Image'. What I didn't realise is that if I pressed 'Back' whilst it was still processing the image, the image would not save on the memeory card. Learnt that the hard way, and lost a couple of nice snaps.

Did a hard re-set this morning ( whilst I was figuring out why my pics hadn't saved ) and then set up email all over again, whcih then worked straightaway, and has been working very well, quite impressed with it actually.

Once I got my head around the Menu's eg Control Panel, it seems quite straightforward enough, find myself typing quite easily on it.

The access points and Destinations were a bit irritating last night eg had to input the home Wi Fi password in every time until I set up Destiantions properly, but been out all day today so will re-configure that again today.

So far, all seems quite good, the battery looks so far to be AMAZING. Inserted brand new battery yesterday morning, and after 24 hours with constant playing, tinkering, going on line, 3G usage etc etc, still has a few bars remaining.

I think it could well be a nice phone to live with.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 29-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvincrispy View Post
One of friend has this phone, so when I read your post I ask him to conform these features.
So first of all camera yes this phone has one f the best camera like 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels with LED flash, and Video recording is also there.
Now Keyboard- It has full messaging keyboard, it also supports Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, Word.
Battery- Nokia phone's battery never fails.
Firmware: Firmware is very bad out of the box and updates don't appear.
record voice call: It can.
I think you should go for it.
Firmware - didn't really try it 'out of the box' - literally got the phone home, plugged it into the laptop for a FW upgrade, it came with v23, but upgraded to v31.

it does have video recording, but bear in mind it's only 15 fps, as aooped tos ome N series devices ( eg N95 / N97 ) that will record at 30 fps, and the newer devices on the horizon ( N8 ) will probably come with 720p HD video recording.

Battery life does seem good, but only tried it for a few days and have been constantly tinkering with it.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 21-05-2010, 12:00 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkenny View Post
v22 I believe fixes some things and adds a lot more bugs.

They've just release 031.023. Like always it's only available for certain product codes though. UK CV variants still remain on 021.024 since launch!

(and 031.023 still does not fix/implement Destinations support in the email client, despite the support existing in the 5th edition version. Ridiculous for a business emailer phone!).

If Destinations doesn't work properly you could try "Smart Connect" from a company called Birdstep. Its a free download and it works perfectly on my N95. You create your access points as normal, then add them to a prioritised list. The list itself appears to the OS as another access point. You just use this virtual access point as the default in all your applications and you are done. I haven't had to manually choose my access point since I installed it about 6 months ago. Everything just automatically works on wifi when I'm in range, or switches to 3G if I'm out and about.

Old 21-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, Birdstep has a pretty good connection manager... +1

Old 22-05-2010, 09:56 AM

D'Oh.

Y'know something? Just realised after reading the above two posts.....

Smart Connect ( by Birdstep ) is a PRE INSTALLED app on my E72. It is called SC ( not hard to figure out NOW after I know what it is ) and was there on the phone when I first got it ( although the first thing I did was to update to v31 ) but maybe part of v31 anyway?

Will try setting it up later.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 22-05-2010, 10:03 AM

DíOh.

Smart Connect ( by Birdstep ) is a pre installed app on my E72, just didnít think I needed it and havenít set it up!

Most of the time I use the 3G connection anyway, so wasnít overly worried about changing connections back and forth with 3G / wi fi.

Maybe itís pre installed in v31 only? I know I updated the phone as soon as I bought it from v23 to v31, so canít vouch if it was there on v23.

Double post coming up hereÖÖ
Just posted and was moderated, so posting again in the hope it gets through. Kontra Ė can you do the honours again please?
RM-530
E72-1