All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Ovi Music Unlimited launches in India

Ovi Music Unlimited, which is branded as Comes with Music in some markets, has launched in India. The service, which can only be purchased with a new device, allows unlimited music downloads from the Ovi Music Store for 12 months. Music is DRM protected, but users are able to keep the music after their subscription period has ended. The service has been customised for India with a smaller Ovi Player (desktop client), local content from more than 150 labels and the ability to download music using different PCs.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-04-2010, 11:54 AM

amitkr is on a distinguished road
Drm?

I think that the music downloaded from the Nokia website is DRM free. It is in the form of Mp3 file that can be played on any device. I have downloaded many music files (though I do not have an unlimited subscription).
On the contrary, earlier, the file format was 'wma' with DRM protection.
Ads

Old 30-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Ovi Music Store India was already working fine, they even launched Nokia 5235 (a version of 5230) as a Comes With Music device sometime back. I don't understand why they want to create more fragmentation with just another service.

I also do not see the point of creating a service that only offers local music when 50% on music you'd find on Indian Users devices is regular International Music.

Old 30-04-2010, 12:53 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Clarification about DRM - OVI Music Unlimited

As Nokia has said OVI Music Unlimited service is DRM you won't be able to copy, burn tracks downloaded via this. But you can change mobile device after 90 days.

You need to be clear that any music which is downloaded from OVI Music in India - not with OVI Music Unlimited service , is DRM free. So what you get with coupons is DRM Free , you can transfer,burn these tracks.

They have clearly given these difference on music.ovi.com

Old 30-04-2010, 12:58 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Ovi Music Store India was already working fine, they even launched Nokia 5235 (a version of 5230) as a Comes With Music device sometime back. I don't understand why they want to create more fragmentation with just another service.

I also do not see the point of creating a service that only offers local music when 50% on music you'd find on Indian Users devices is regular International Music.
5235 OVI Music Unlimited was just launched yesterday. Also please note that lots of international music is available there.

How can you say 50% Music you'd find on Indian users device is regular international?? either you dont know ground situation or you are being elitist here.Dont always think with geeky mindset.There are crores of normal users who like local music.

In India , International Music consumption is fraction of what local music is.Bollywood and local music rules here.

I agree with you point about branding but localization is really needed for success of such services.

Old 30-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The DRM only applies to music downloaded using Ovi Music Unlimited (CwM). Music from the pay per track is DRM free (as far I am aware).

There is both local and international music (4 big labels and 150 local ones).

Old 30-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

http://music.ovi.com/in/en/pc/charts...international/

The "international top 20" on that web site lists oldies like Just Dance and Sexy Back. Worse still, BoneyM and ABBA find a mention on that list! For heavens sake, either Nokia have septuagenarians running the music store or Indian audiences are clearly out of sync with international tastes.

For the record, none of the current mainstream global hits find a place on that list. The store doesn't even have trance/house/EDM on its list of genres. This has gotta be the worst attempt at a "music store" ever!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

i live in india and its good feature but it is avail only for those who buy new mobile i did purchased n97 4 months back but unfortunately ovi music dont allow me download unlimited music and ovi music allows for some cheap upcoming phones like x6 which is avail at 115$ and x6 had a 5mp cam too , bad strategy