All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia C6 Part 1: First Impressions and Hardware

David Gilson takes on Nokia's latest touchscreen hybrid smartphone, the C6-00, looking in this first review part at the raw hardware - how does the C6 stack up against the hardware in the 5800 and N97 mini, between which it seems to represent a middle ground? From overall styling and shape to keyboard ergonomics, David leaves no stone unturned... Future review parts will look at the C6's camera, multimedia and general applications and performance.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 AM

comnut is on a distinguished road
before all the devs, programmers and other 'portable PC' people get going, please may I ask a few simple questions for those of us who *only* want to use this device for PDA, internet , quick camera , and EVEN want to use it as a mobile phone????

Many say it is 'just the same as the 5800 /n97 - most specs say it has more memory (the stuff used for storing data while loading an Internet page, I mean, not 'storage'..)
Can you please verify if this actually has more than the n97 or 5800? (both RAM and storage..)

there are also no pics available of how good the camera is in low light (quiet restaurant, etc) - is it still as bad as the 5800??

thanks in advance... please reply!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Unregistered

So many mistakes in the specs. Seriously, this is All About Symbian for gods sake. Are you busy using your Androids and iPads (thats you steve)

Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by comnut View Post
before all the devs, programmers and other 'portable PC' people get going, please may I ask a few simple questions for those of us who *only* want to use this device for PDA, internet , quick camera , and EVEN want to use it as a mobile phone????

Many say it is 'just the same as the 5800 /n97 - most specs say it has more memory (the stuff used for storing data while loading an Internet page, I mean, not 'storage'..)
Can you please verify if this actually has more than the n97 or 5800? (both RAM and storage..)

there are also no pics available of how good the camera is in low light (quiet restaurant, etc) - is it still as bad as the 5800??

thanks in advance... please reply!
Just sit tight These are the sort of questions that will be covered in the next part of the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So many mistakes in the specs. Seriously, this is All About Symbian for gods sake. Are you busy using your Androids and iPads (thats you steve)
You'll actually have to state what you think is in error, and registering wouldn't hurt either ;-)

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
dj...

nice writing

David,

Not about the phone at all but I just thought to add that really I liked your writing. really clear and to the point. Pics are excellent too.

I like the look of the phone too. not to replace my n97, transflective screen is key for me, but I like the keyboard and am obviously a "hybrid" (wierd term) fan.

have fun,
dj

Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Nope, 128g and 3rd was an error - corrected. C6 is Symbian^1/5th Edition and 150g, sorry about that. All other data is the same as found on Nokia's C6 data sheet.

Last edited by davidgilson; 09-08-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 AM

filipp is on a distinguished road
"Another subjective point is the placement of the space-bar, which is still off-centre" [...] "space bar seems to be drifting towards centre with each iteration."

Here's my suggestion to Nokia keyboard designers - move Sym key next to the right Shift, then move spacebar and surrounding keys one place to the left. Spcebar goes closer to the center, Sym key can be used with all keys, no conflict with "C" key.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM

user47alpha is on a distinguished road
Will this be Nokias last variation of the hardware platform introduced with the 5800XM? I really hope so, despite the fact that I like my 5800, it's hard to defend why a 2010-smartphone loses energy while connected via USB.
Another thing is the "embedded" screen, you know, the thing with the dirtcatching beezel...

Is it true that the C6 only has A-GPS?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user47alpha View Post
...Is it true that the C6 only has A-GPS?
Depends if you're asking about hardware or software.

Hardware, yes it's only AGPS, there isn't a compass. I was surprised at this, so double checked. Tried auto-rotation in Ovi Maps, and I installed one of the free compass apps from the Ovi Store. No rotational response.

However, in application settings, the C6 does have the same WiFi positioning option found in other recent models.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
W.
Another thing is the "embedded" screen, you know, the thing with the dirtcatching beezel...

?
I believe that design is to keep the resistive (easily scratched) screen clear of surfaces when the handset is placed face down, and to provide an edge-stop for stylus users.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM

krizanand is on a distinguished road
Bad gesture

To err is human, but is it a right gesture to delete the post which pointed out that error. Didn't expect this from AAS.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Will this be Nokias last variation of the hardware
Is it true that the C6 only has A-GPS?
Not sure if this is what you meant, but A-GPS does NOT mean there is no real GPS. Assisted GPS still has a real GPS chip, but it uses network methods such as cell IDs and wi-fi to get location faster (albeit slightly less accurate).

In other words, A-GPS is better than GPS.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizanand View Post
To err is human, but is it a right gesture to delete the post which pointed out that error. Didn't expect this from AAS.
Does it really matter?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM

comnut is on a distinguished road
davidgilson; Thanks!

for others quoting the 'nokia datasheet' - it still only says '200 M internal' - Unlike the spec for 5800, that at least says '81 M storage, 128 M ram' ...

I find the AGPS fine here in UK, as well as the resistive screen.. I would rather not get frostbite, just by using the screen...

and for those moaning about the accuracy/ quality of various things, if you want it done properly get a proper camera or gps unit!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
DardoCH

cut off d-pad

I understand this being a budget phone and all and I do see the value this phone proposes to millions who don't have the money to go upper scale but still want a powerful smartphone. It does offer great value for the buck. The digital compass is not a feature to cry about, walk navigation works fine without it. People do need to understand this is a smartphone that can do just about as much as any smartphone out there with free navigation for 220.- contract free!!! The navigation alone is worth about 100.- and spares you from getting a separate stand alone unit. And I do think everyone should have a navigation device who drives or travels-which is just about everyone because if you don't drive then you travel and if you dont do either then you really shouldn't get a smartphone lol

However, I still think this phone would have been better off 2cm shorter meaning the whole D-pad is really not needed here at all, the N97 mini doesn't have it so why would this need one? It would have saved Nokia money in materials and people space in the pocket. I'm not sure why they did that but i have a feeling they may have used the left overs from the N97 classic but that had the d-pad on the other side. So Nokia is really dumb sometimes because they really are a confused company, sometimes they do a strange 3 row keyboard with space bar hidden somewhere on the right with d-pad on the left, then they go and release a 4 row keyboard with space bar somewhat in the middle but the d-pad on the right. They're a really really confused company and I think they need to lose an other 10% on top of the 20% they've lost until now in marketshare for them to wake up and feel the heat. Otherwise they're in good shape.