All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Dropbox via SugarSync

You may remember Rafe talked about SugarSync in the last AAS Insight podcast? Now Rita el-Khoury (whose Symbian blogging death has apparently been exagerated!) has employed a little lateral thinking to combine SugarSync with Dropbox to provide a native client-based way to get at the latter's files. Pretty neat, though it's S60 5th Edition only and limited in terms of capacity (for free).

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Rita El Khoury

Symbian blogging death?

Haha, that made me LMAO Steve. I'm still using a Symbian phone until I can afford a new device, probably an Android (they're 700-800$ blackmarket handsets in Lebanon, so we're looking at another 5-6 months of savings). So for now, I'm making due trying to get Symbian to work for me, like it should, and well, blogging about it.

Old 27-08-2010, 10:36 AM
JFH

Hi Rita,

In 6 to 8 Months you will also be able to select MeeGo sevices, or perhaps even S^4 phones. Promise you will check them out as well!

Old 27-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Rita El Khoury

@JFH
I'll always have a look at them, but unfortunately, being a pharmacist, until there are great native medical apps on Symbian, I can't use that as my own personal phone. Silly, really.

Old 27-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Rita, don't how you feel about this, but my thinking is that in order for Meego to blow out strong, out-of-the-gate, Nokia and Intel should emulate what Microsoft is presently doing to launch their Windows Phone 7 platform strongly: outright *paying* third party developers a fee to create applications for their platform.

It's sort of like the iFund that KPB in Silicon Valley did to help launch Apple's App Market.

I have no idea why Intel and Nokia wouldn't also follow that strategy; otherwise as both platforms are being launched worldwide at about the same time, WP7 may take all the air out of the room, so to speak. Microsoft, as per their XBox platform, has proven that they're willing to overwhelm by outspending competitors (Sony) in order to beat them.

Since Meego is basically Linux, and a potential threat to them, I don't think MS will have any compunction about figuratively beating it into the ground.
Ads