All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Unregistered

My two cents...

I've had an N97 with Symbian^1 since last year, and only recently has Android and iOS matched the functionality of my phone. The Symbian Foundation was setup to continue to evolve and improve the established Symbian OS. Once the N8 and the rest of Symbian^3 devices come out; it will be catch up for Android and iOS all over again...

As for Meego, I believe it's missunderstood by everyone; I think it is being developed to complement Symbian Smartphones (not replace them). That is why Nokia is investing heavily on QT framework; to bridge mobile devices and computers. Imagine if you will a Netbook, Tablet, MID or even Desktop/Laptop running Meego instead of Windows or Mac OS X? Now that would be a breath of fresh air =).

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've had an N97 with Symbian^1 since last year, and only recently has Android and iOS matched the functionality of my phone. The Symbian Foundation was setup to continue to evolve and improve the established Symbian OS. Once the N8 and the rest of Symbian^3 devices come out; it will be catch up for Android and iOS all over again...

As for Meego, I believe it's missunderstood by everyone; I think it is being developed to complement Symbian Smartphones (not replace them). That is why Nokia is investing heavily on QT framework; to bridge mobile devices and computers. Imagine if you will a Netbook, Tablet, MID or even Desktop/Laptop running Meego instead of Windows or Mac OS X? Now that would be a breath of fresh air =).

Personally I am not interested in netbooks or tablet/pad type devices, I have no use for them. I do like something small and portable that I can easily carry and use for the occasional task - like an email or photo, but prefer not to obsess with. I don't want to be spending a lot of time playing with the phone. I feel that would be an enormous waste of time.

Consequently, meego is of no particular interest.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

N9

The N9 looks pretty portable to me ;-)

Anyways, I find Meego interesting, but somehow I still feel more drawn to see what Symbian^3 and the N8 has to offer. I guess I am equally fascinated about how much can be done at reasonable price.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
I'm looking forward to the Nokia N8. hopefully the software on it is sound and not buggy. But from experiences when I first got the Nokia N97, it was dreadful. It's better now mind but we shall see.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

So what exactly is preventing all you UK people from buying this phone from an online store in the mainland?

It's not like you are cut off and on your very own planet, just order the thing online from the cheapest source you can find in Europe.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

289 from Tesco, pay as you go: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/09/09/no...p-no-contract/

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hmmm, I am stacked up with clubcard vouchers too. I'm almost tempted.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx

Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hmmm, I am stacked up with clubcard vouchers too. I'm almost tempted.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx
OK, bingo - you can unlock a Tesco mobile for 20 before the first 12 months is up (applies to pay as you go too). See about a page and a half up from the bottom: http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=36

Which means you can get an unlocked N8 for 309 all in! Nice
Tesco is an MVNO using the O2 network by the way.

Remember, if you're willing to have a contract with some other network, then you can simply see what other premium handsets your network will offer with a contract, then check prices on EBay, ask for the one that will get the most money, then sell it on Ebay and use the money to fund the N8 from Tesco as above, swapping in the SIM from your network of choice. This may not be necessary however in the UK at least, as it seems N8 will be available in various deals on all networks. Nice

Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I suspect that the final price when they have some in stock will be higher.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
I'm looking forward to the Nokia N8. hopefully the software on it is sound and not buggy. But from experiences when I first got the Nokia N97, it was dreadful. It's better now mind but we shall see.
In anticipation of trolls attempting to tell you that you should be worried because the N8 will be woeful like the N96, N97 etc, I can tell you that everyone I know of who has actually used says that it's very stable. Even Eldar Murtazin had no particularly negative comments about the stability of the software.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTay View Post
I suspect that the final price when they have some in stock will be higher.
Not possible. Why? Because it's already printed in millions of Tesco catalogues that's why, and it is illegal to sell something for a greater price than advertised.

Proof (see first picture): http://mynokiablog.com/2010/09/09/no...p-no-contract/
Ads

Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 PM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
I've ordered mine as an upgrade on T-Mobile from the Nokia Store.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Interesting that Microsoft has just announced their rollout of Window Phone 7 for October 11, about a week or so after the N8 is available.

Coincidence? Possible. Or it could be that Redmond has Espoo's N8 in its sights.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
I *was* definitely going to buy the N8 at launch. But as I buy all of my kit sim free, I really don't see why I should get screwed again by Nokia being greedy in the UK

Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

N8

The N8 must have been Nokias- Pekka Kallasvous last chance but now will be replaced by Microsoft Business Manager Steve Elop,so more good news at Nokia after finally announcing the N8,there had to be a shake up at Nokia as they company should be more advanced than the position they are in now,but everything as been so slow,so with Intel an some Microsoft Experience in helping Nokia we might now get this Company moving Forwards instead of Backwards