All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Waning interest in 9300/9500?

I guess with the N97 finally coming out, 9300/9500 owners now have an option for their next phone?

I've pre-ordered a white N97 (I wish it were silver like my 9300) and cannot wait until it arrives so I can begin migrating data and apps.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Congratulations with your new purchase ! I hope you will realize that 9300 has a different Operating System (S80) from N97 (S60 v 5) ....
This means that Applications in 9300 don't work in N97 .
For transferring your data , you can use Outlook or Nokia PC Suite on your computer .
It might be a good idea to keep your 9300 until all is set and done .

You can also use bluetooth to transfer data , in Datatransfer : Contacts , Calender .
Nokia has also a bluetooth Application called Datamover . It works on E90 , but I am not sure for N97 ....
Lots of success and pleasure :

Regards jApi NL

Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM

jakfish is on a distinguished road
I always get to these parties late My first S80 phone arrived last week, a Nokia 9300, after years of trying to limp along with my Psion Revo and a Sony Ericsson T39m. The Revo's aging hardware is constantly failing.

I'm very impressed with the 9300. True, Documents/Calendar/Contacts, while Revo-ish, aren't as thorough, but they're pretty good. PC Suite is buggy time to time, but is flawless compared to Psiwin. And the synching itself has been first-rate. Bought Appman and am looking at a couple of other pieces of software, but it's a pretty self-contained machine.

I wish I could use smart quotes and em-dashes in Documents (the conversion program strips them out), and I wish I could find print drivers for my Canon BJC50 infrared printer. I can get text to print with the "general" print driver, but with no RTF formatting.

Other than those two things, I have no complaints, except that everybody else is moving on.

Jake

Old 23-06-2009, 04:32 PM

After a week of playing with my new Nokia N97, I've come to realize that software-wise, the 9300 is more capable than the N97.

The N97 is more powerful, but without capable software the extra power doesn't buy you much.

Still lacking on the N97...

1. A suitable e-book reader. This by-far is the most problematic for me as I have gotten use to opening multiple references with multiple readers and keeping them open.

2. Quickoffice doesn't have the N97 version reader to be able to edit/save .xls, .ppt and .doc files yet. Not being able to maintain my database and spreadsheets is a problem.

3. The contacts database is less capable than the 9300--taking a lot of effort to get things straightened out. PC Suite is half of the problem being two generations behind the N97.

4. Having many fewer keys on the keyboard means a lot more work to get things into the N97, especially if they have symbols (try typing in some Prolog source code). You don't realize how convenience doing Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V are until you don't have those on the keyboard anymore!

5. Video...Smartmovie for the 9300 is superb! Playback on the N97 is dicey with all the conversions you have to do and still you might find that something doesn't play.

6. Customization (ringtones, sounds, etc)...is a hassle and is counter-intuitive.

7. Answering a phone call with the touch screen and locking philosophy! Gee--I couldn't answer my first two received calls because of the complexity.

I do like having WiFi, 3G speed, a really nice camera and GPS, but I hate having to give up all of the nice features of the 9300.

Old 13-07-2009, 10:57 AM

An update on my migration to the Nokia N97...

I guess I'm starting to get used to the alternative user interface (culled-back QWERTY combined with touchscreen).

The 9300 has so much screen real estate that programs didn't have to have all of their picks buried 3 or 4 menu levels deep.

I now have Excel, Word and Powerpoint functionality on the N97 and the compatibility is much better than on the 9300. Editing a spreadsheet, especially formats, is a real hassle. I suppose that I'm going to do more editing on my desktop PC before porting to the N97.

I found a version of CellularBasic that is semi-functional on the N97, but needs a lot of work to make it usable--good thing it is open-source software. Symbian Basic was one 9300 program that I dearly loved.

JI Prolog works better on the N97 than it did on the 9300. It is very well written.

Still no suitable eBook reader or full dictionary. So far all dictionaries that I've seen for S60 5th Ed. are abridged in some fashion.

Games on the N97 are fairly lame so far. I guess it will take some time for developers to get things going.

More later!

Old 24-07-2009, 09:41 AM

mooneqs is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your comments on your migration to the N97.

I had been thinking of moving myself, but following your comments, I will stick with my 9300 for a while longer. The only thing I miss having is GPS on the device and that is only something that I would like to have for a couple weeks per year when I am touring in strange cities. I'll just hold on to my map and compass.

I think that I would really miss the macro abilities of FileNote on an S60 device too, apart from the reduced functionality of Contacts and Calendar. I still long for some of the things I could do on my Psion 5mx over 4 years ago when I chnaged to the 9500!

The lack of ebook software is also a concern as I use ebooks quite a lot - both published and self generated. MobiReader is my faourite for reference books with internal hyperlinks, whilst ebook by Simon Quinn is my favourite for reading some of the older formats available from Memoware or Gutenberg.

Best wishes,
Martin O'Neill

Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Wait a while longer and you can have a N97 Mini (smaller more abbreviated version of the N97).

Just so you know, you're missing a WHOLE lot of Fun with the N97 users in the other forum...people have been "bricking" and unbricking and spending an awful lot of time installing/uninstalling, complaining, etc.

IIRC, when I got my 9300 it took me a good month and a half before I fully understood how to get the most out of the phone and get it set up and customized to get me the best performance.

To make matters worse, the so-called compatibility mode with S60 3rd Edition software just isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

I just wonder how long it will be before we start seeing really mature and fully-functional applications that perform useful functions.

I mean, REALLY--who needs a light sabre emulator or bubble-wrap popping application on their phone? I'm much more impressed by something like Solun' on the 9300. The version that they have for the N97 doesn't even do all that the 9300 version does.

(sigh!)

Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Roughnet13888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Wait a while longer and you can have a N97 Mini (smaller more abbreviated version of the N97).

Just so you know, you're missing a WHOLE lot of Fun with the N97 users in the other forum...people have been "bricking" and unbricking and spending an awful lot of time installing/uninstalling, complaining, etc.

IIRC, when I got my 9300 it took me a good month and a half before I fully understood how to get the most out of the phone and get it set up and customized to get me the best performance.Simple interest calculator calculation rates mortgage compound high interest savings account

To make matters worse, the so-called compatibility mode with S60 3rd Edition software just isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

I just wonder how long it will be before we start seeing really mature and fully-functional applications that perform useful functions.

I mean, REALLY--who needs a light sabre emulator or bubble-wrap popping application on their phone? I'm much more impressed by something like Solun' on the 9300. The version that they have for the N97 doesn't even do all that the 9300 version does.

(sigh!)
So how it is doing these days?
Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM

Since you asked...

An update on my migration from the 9300 to the N97...

1. QuickOffice/OfficeSuite - you kind of need both of these if you want full functionality. One works pretty well and builds file associations so that .xls, .ppt and .doc are linked to the program--but it can't display graphs/charts. The other can display graphs and charts but has a dismal front-end which you have to use since it can't create an association in the OS for the file extensions.

2. CellularBasic Pro - recently updated, now can access the file system but some functions still cause lock-up/reboot. SBASIC on the 9300 was a much more mature product--won't someone make that code open-source (please?).

3. Videos - turns out you don't need SmartMovie or any other add-in. Ovi Suite (replaces PC Suite) converts movies for you in superb resolution. Problem is, Nokia doesn't have very good menus/help/instructions on doing it--but once you figure it out, video is full-motion/stereo and high-quality.

4. eBook readers - I have iSilo (evaluation copy) loaded but haven't committed to buying it yet. Steve Litchfield figured out a "kluge" solution to get a S60 3rd edition copy of Mobireader working on the N97. Coupling this with a little program called VirtualKey, you can remap some of the phone buttons to make reading ebooks a little less trouble. Still no smooth scrolling though. At least I can port my .prc's to the N97 and finish reading them.

5. Picture viewing - on the 9300, Picsel viewer enabled me to view very large image files (maps and converted CAD drawings mainly). But they've gone defunct and the native picture viewers on the N97 bomb out (ABEND) on even trying to open a large image.

6. MfE (Mail for Exchange) - this has enabled me to get my work email on my N97. It has a few warts and doesn't seem to be as nice as the iPhone email client programs implementation, but it does work--syncing the Calendar as well.

7. Contacts - I don't sync my work contacts to my phone, so I use MS Outlook at home as a repository. I worry that the next firmware update for the N97 is rumored to have Ovi Contacts built-in. I really am not comfortable having all of my personal contacts uploaded to Nokia...it's a "trust" issue.

8. Games - games on the N97 still are a major disappointment--mainly because of the lack of sensitivity/robustness in the touchscreen interface. Think S-L-O-W response to screen taps. But then I don't play games that much.

9. Still have no way to port the Wikipedia to my N97 like I did with the 9300. I've written to Tomeraider about this and have received no reponse. I'm surprised because they've developed for the other new phones out there (iPhone, Palm, Android, etc.) but seem to be ignoring Symbian altogether.

10. RSS reader--this is integrated into the native Web browser and works in a simple fashion. I wish it had more features like the reader on the N800/N810.

11. GPS - this has issues...go read Nokia Discussions or AAS-N97 forum for more details.

Summary...despite the disappointments (nothing like the market promo material that Nokia advertised!) the N97 is still a quite powerful platform--like carrying a small laptop, hi-res digital video camera, GPS and mp3 player in your pocket. If you do all of these things you need to carry a charger around with you to keep the battery topped off. GPS really eats up the battery quickly.

I still carry my 9300 to work with me--I still go to it to pull up reference material (SmallBase by Corisoft) and (Tomeraider-Wikipedia).

Old 31-10-2009, 11:22 AM

rochevof73 is on a distinguished road
Waning interest in 9300/9500

I hope your right and it is waning.

A lot of the new groups dont appear to last for long.

Most find it difficult to actually find more then a couple of investigations.

Less groups hopefully mean more opportunities for those who remain.

Mind you Yvette is due to launch her new paranormal channel on free view next year.