All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-02-2003, 09:32 AM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Opera for P800 released: it will be a free download

Opera and Sony Ericsson have today released the P800 (UIQ) version of the Opera browser:

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2003/02/11/

Note particularly:

Availability

The Opera for the P800 browser can be downloaded for free from the Sony Ericsson Web site from the first day of the 3GSM World Congress, Monday, Feb. 17, 2003. For more information about Opera's SSR technology or to contact Opera Software ASA about including Opera on your device, please go to www.opera.com.

Tero

Old 11-02-2003, 09:37 AM

Epedemic is on a distinguished road
now THIS is good news!

Old 11-02-2003, 09:43 AM

mickangel is on a distinguished road
i'm using a beta now.

it ROCKS!
Full, normal, proper browsing - multiple pages, great screen rendering and the small screen rendering engine is fantastic.

regards,

mick.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
I will be posting a review sometime today, I have to say it's a great improvement on the original browser

Old 11-02-2003, 09:50 AM

terje is on a distinguished road
Cool :-)

Old 11-02-2003, 11:16 AM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickangel
Full, normal, proper browsing - multiple pages, great screen rendering and the small screen rendering engine is fantastic.
I agree with you 100%, I have been very pleased even with this beta, and no bugs have come up yet.

P800's standard browser is quite OK for simple HTML pages containing only text and small images, but Opera's small screen rendering engine has made it possible to browse other web pages too. And SSL encryption support is an uimportant advantage too considering banking, shopping and other services lhat require high security.

Tero

Old 11-02-2003, 11:34 AM

Where can you download the beta?

Where can you download the beta?

Old 11-02-2003, 05:49 PM

Re: Download final

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don't know but I have seen a thread from an italian site that you can download the full today , this is the link:

Removed

Ciao
Opera has been distributed to partners and journalists. It is NOT publicly available, but will be next week. If anyone here have contacts with the editor of that site, please tell him to remove the link asap!

This will only hurt Opera and make us much more restrictive next time around. Please wait for the public release next week.

Best regards,

Dag Olav Norem
Opera Software

Old 11-02-2003, 06:10 PM

Dieter is on a distinguished road
Re: Download final

Quote:

Dag Olav Norem
Opera Software
Hi,

nice to see Opera staff here. Therefore I would take the opportunity to ask my (of topic - sorry) question:

Will there be opera for the nokia 3650?

I read that opera wont be released for 7650 due to limited memory ( at www.opera.com/products/ ). But with the 3650 applications might be stored to MMC, leaving the internal memory at 4 MB minus some 100 odd KB for the OS etc. Caches, images etc could as well be saved to the MMC.

Please, could you inform us whether series and esp 3650 will get opera web-browser?

Dieter

Old 11-02-2003, 06:23 PM

Re: Opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter
nice to see Opera staff here. Therefore I would take the opportunity to ask my (of topic - sorry) question:
I try to follow these forums when I have time. I guess I'll now have to make up for removing the link above by answering some questions...
Quote:
Please, could you inform us whether series and esp 3650 will get opera web-browser?
Yes, we are working on a browser for Series 60. It will have the same engine as the P800 browser. Please don't ask when it will be available as I can not answer that.

Dag Olav

Old 11-02-2003, 07:18 PM

mickangel is on a distinguished road
might be two small bugs

so far, still the best browsing experience on phones, bar none.

however, two points:

one small concern about battery life. I am not sure what the CPU usage is or how the threading is coded though it *seems* to eat battery life quite considerably - it could be something else today that caused the heavy usage such as another app but the battery life seemed much worse when using Opera than the usual browser.

the second is that it is not possible to shut the program down from within Opera, meaning that other apps seem to 'mis-behave' due to the restricted memory left (device-local sync crashed twice for example, so did the camera application). Yes: it can be closed with the file manager task list, and Yes it could be installed on the Duo instead of main memory.

these two shouldn't be showstoppers as they can be fixed. it is still the best browser and ALSO best-integrated browser (thanks to the p800 good screen and jog-dial) of ANY phone, and for a while I expect.

great work, keep it up. the coders and project managers on the port project deserve a medal.

regards,

mick.
Ads

Old 11-02-2003, 07:53 PM

Re: might be two small bugs

Guys, let's leave the P800 specific discussion until the product is relased. Those of you that have it should also have a contact in Opera you can give your feedback to.

If you have any other questions I promise to follow this thread and answer what I can.

Dag Olav Norem
Opera Software

Old 11-02-2003, 08:11 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
Dear Dag.

I understand and appreciate you editing the link and explaining why, however, don't go to far. This is a forum for P800 users and we are all here to share among users our experience, so that we can all benfit. One thing is to ask us to wait for the release, that's fine, but do not ask us now not to talk about it either. Those of us that wish to contact Opera will do so. Opera editors can also access this forum if they want to. Meantime leave the parenting for another forum. Such as Sesame street.com

Don't mean to come out to agresivelly, but I am an adult.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Dear Dag.

I understand and appreciate you editing the link and explaining why, however, don't go to far.
Sorry, that was not intended. I just thought it would be a shame to discuss something which is not available. After all, only a few members on this forum have it and they got it from us.

Hm, I wrote the previous post to avoid having to keep focusing on the fact that it's not available. That sure did not work... I'll stick to answering questions from here on

Dag Olav Norem
Opera Software

Old 11-02-2003, 08:38 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
You'll probably notice 85% of the postings on this forum are based on speculation...that's part of the fun, the anticipation that comes with an exciting new product.

opera is just such a case since we have all been waiting for this release. Don't worry about possible mistakes. The first users will soon clear all doubts!

I have the Bethaa version sitting on my desktop, and I haven't tried it yet because I'm waiting for my Bluetooth adaptor (Mac User) knowing that the full release will come on Monday I'll probably won't bother with the betha.

Thanx and sorry for the attitude of my prior posting ops: