All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-06-2004, 02:33 PM

murmansk is on a distinguished road
howto remove provider branding to update

Is there anyone who knows a way to remove the f***ing providerbranding because of Firmwareupdate?

I tried to update, but the SE Homepage always shows an Update from the decade of the knights, because T-Mobile is not able to implement their f***ing logos in a realistic amount of time in the new firmware.

My CDA is 162004/9, typically for branded phones.

The Organizer Version is R1A05 and there is no newer version avaiable for this branded phone!!!

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Old 22-06-2004, 02:47 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
There is no way of removing this. Just try to console yourself that, although some of us may have more up to date firmware's than you, we probably paid about five times as much for the privalage!

You look like you want to go away, But I know youíre gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. Thereís flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. Thereís a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 22-06-2004, 10:35 PM

PrometheusUK is on a distinguished road
hmmm

when you sya "provider branding" do you mean the operators startup vid? I have a tmobile p900 unlocked to use 02 sim but the wap settings are stuck to tmobile... would a firmware update from SE give me a generic SE firmware or are they just gonna provide me with and updated tmobile firmware? Does a firmware update unlock the wap operator restriction? any help would be much appreciated. cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassey
There is no way of removing this. Just try to console yourself that, although some of us may have more up to date firmware's than you, we probably paid about five times as much for the privalage!

Old 23-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Even if you did managed to remove all the branding, the updater also reads your IMEI (Or so i'm led to believe) and then you wouldn't be able to update at all because there would be a conflict between your IMEI and CDA version.

Anyway, keep the rules of the forum in mind

Old 24-06-2004, 08:20 PM

oh poo...so unless i use a tmobile sim, i cannot even use wap? that sucks.... i dont mind the start up vid so much as not even being able to go onto wap...with a phone like this, it's such a shame...
if anyone has any further suggestions please post em, really wanna use this phone to its fullest

Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Pfhantom is on a distinguished road
you can get the configuration for O2 on SE's Website, go to Support -> Phone setup.
Just answer all the questions and the configuration will be sent to you per SMS.
I also got a T-Mobile P900 and use E-Plus, but i can't change the start page, it seems to be locked.

Old 28-12-2004, 10:29 PM
SErgino

Mr. S

I can only think of one way to remove the Tmobile crap. Since the software must be installed it is propably hidden in a way that the standard file manager does not show it.

Fortunatly there are some more advanced filemanagers (like Qfileman) that can be installed and show all files. With these it must be possible to delete the tmobile files......

let me know if this helps!

rgds, Sergio

Old 29-12-2004, 02:04 AM

thanks, i got it sorted.. it's weird but i just got the thing updated to latest firmware and when i started the phone up again, i got the SE logo and all the branding was gone...even in the opera browser

Old 31-01-2005, 11:32 AM

indojab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusUK
thanks, i got it sorted.. it's weird but i just got the thing updated to latest firmware and when i started the phone up again, i got the SE logo and all the branding was gone...even in the opera browser
Hi PrometheusUK.
I just got a p910i on T-mobile, and wanted to know how you sorted out the problem with the provider branding.
Did you use Qfileman and deleted the t-mobile files?
You mentioned that you unlocked the phone, can you still do the firmware update? is that from the SE website?
Thanks

Old 31-01-2005, 05:20 PM

hiya indojab
I went down to a Sony Ericsson qualified centre near my area, I gave the phone to them to update and I wasn't expecting to get the branding removed but when i got it back, it was all gone. I can't remember the phone number (which is really dumb considering the miracle they performed) but I do remember calling a special SE support number and asking for the nearest SE repair centre (London)... I think they all use official unbranded firmware updates but i couldn't see for sure.

hope it helps
Ads

Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 PM

indojab is on a distinguished road
Hi PrometheusUK,
Thanks a lot for your reply and yes it does help.
From what I gather from all the different posts, is that it seems that unlocking the phone is enough, and that paying extra for unbranding is no point as it this can be done by undating the firmware.
But what i do find annoying, is the fact it could actually be free. It only seems to be in UK that you have to pay the network (or third party) to unlock the handset.
In France, 6 mths in the contract and you can just give the provider a ring, and it's done for free. Where as here, it's a case of ripping off. Why do we have to pay to get rid of something we didn't necesseraly want in the first place?!
They could argue that it is crime prevention. But in that case shouldn't we have the choice when we buy the handset!