All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-11-2008, 12:13 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Teashark 0.9 Review

This is a follow-up to a problem report message thread.

I was curious about a new Java MIDP 2.0 web browser for mobiles, so I decided to try it.

In a nutshell here is what I have found with regard to running this application on a Nokia 9300:

1. The display of web pages is very clear and crisp--layouts are near desktop browser accurate and in some cases a little better. Some finer fonts are re-resolved into pixels which can make them harder to read at normal zoom level.

2. The navigation joybutton functions a little differently than you are used to. In page viewing it performs two roles--a kinetic scroll (kinid of neat like the iPhone) as well as a jump to next selectable hyperlink. ** Expect to have to use the button-push as a select as normal Symbian use of the Enter key does not appear to be programmed in.

3. The CBA button functionality is only partial--i.e. it will bring up a menu, BUT you will have to use the arrow keys and then the joy-button to select an item. A little experimenting with it will get you through if you don't accidentally close the application first!

4. The application was designed for the typical mobile phone, so the "#" key is required in order to get into the shortcuts. HINT: to get the DISMISS at the bottom you have to push the joy-button (not very intuitive).

5. Surfing appears pretty fast--it might be that this application does a little proxy-preprocessing similar to Opera Mini but I can't be sure about that.

In all it provides a pretty robust web experience.
Ads

Old 26-11-2008, 10:03 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Here's an UPDATE for my review of version 0.9 BETA-BUILD 414

1. This program runs very good the first time--it is really impressive with what it can do.

2. The second time you go to run it, it locks up and never connects. All you get is a white screen with the green "G" in the corner. No apparent program activity as monitored by TaskSpy goes on past this point.

3. I uninstalled and reinstall the applications and the above behavior is repeated.

4. I went to the TeaShark website and tried to send them an online comment about the problems. Their website reported an error when I tried to submit.

5. A further observation...this is WEB-PROXY based a-la OPERA-MINI, but the fidelity against the original site is very good compared to that product.

6. Some of the nested menus have a little problem which require some experimentation to choose a selection or navigate back out.

7. A really cool feature is the HISTORY. It displays a left right mini panel across the bottom third of the screen with a thumbnail of the previously viewed pages. If you go back beyond the cache it shows a little icon but displays the title of the page. Cursoring you can jump back "n" pages without reloading those in between!

This product is one to watch!