All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-01-2008, 02:34 PM

huddie is on a distinguished road
Wink System Error -7547 With Certificate Authentication

I've set my N95 up with RoadSync to synchronise with our Exchange Server directly on a schedule (not using direct push). However, I'm having a problem. I've installed our GlobalSign Domain Validation Certificate by copying it to the phone and opening it in File Manager, then installing it. It installs, but when I go to synchronise, synchronisation fails and I get 'system error 7547 - secure session failed' in the sync log. This indicates that there's a problem with the certificate. However, I've triple-checked and the certificate is valid - we use it for Outlook Web Access on our PCs. I've tried copying it from my PC and even by downloading it again directly from GlobalSign's website, so I know it's valid. It just seems like Symbian doesn't like it. I've contacted DataViz, who make RoadSync, and they don't want to know, stating that it's a problem the O/S is having with the certificate.

Note that I am currently able to synchronise manually by removing the certificate from the device and initiating sync from RoadSync. However, I have to select 'continue' on a warning that the server's certificate is not trusted every time I do this, so it won't work for scheduled synchronisation. I have the same problem whether synching using a WiFi connection or GPRS.

Can anyone help ?

Here are the details:

Nokia N95 firmware:
v11.0.026
17-04-07
RM-159
Nokia N95 (65.01)
Symbian S60 Release 3, Feature Pack 1
Exchange 2007 cluster:
Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Enterprise Edition SP2
Certificate: GlobalSign Domain Validation Certificate
Networks: Orange GPRS and various WiFi access points

Note that I first posted this message to another forum, but got no response, so I'm posting it to this forum instead.

Old 30-01-2008, 05:06 PM

huddie is on a distinguished road
Question

I've done some research into this problem, but still have no solution. It seems likely that, like Windows Mobile 5, Symbian doesn't support this type of wildcard certificate. Is this the case ? In any case, does anyone know of a workaround for Symbian ? On our WM5 ActiveSync profiles we just disable certificate checking, which is fine for us because certificate checking is only disabled for ActiveSync comms and SSL is still enabled. Can this be done on Symbian and, if so, how ?
Ads