All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Memory Maintenance N95 & N95 8GB

Here's something for a rainy, wet, cold afternoon.

I have both the N95-1 and N95-2 (8GB) phones and, if like me, you upgrade/reinstall firmware as well as add and delete prog's/themes on your phone (I currently have about 50 prog' and themes on each one) and are maybe finding that your phone is not as fast as it was, particularly in Gallery or Music, then this will help speed things up.

Basically, it's using your computer to carry out maintenance on your memory by fixing file system errors, recovering bad sectors and defragmenting.

For the purposes of this, I will treat the two phones identically and not differentiate between Memory Card and Mass Memory. I am running Windows XP, although this applies to Vista as well.

1. Make sure you have Nokia PC Suite installed as you will need the cable drivers that come with it. You can download it here:-

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4630250

2. Connect your handset to the computer via the USB cable and select "Data Transfer" mode. Make sure that prior to this that you have closed all applications that use the memory or you will not be able to connect.

3. On your PC go to My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista) and left click on it. When the screen opens you will be able to locate your phones memory which you should then right click on and then left click on Properties.
A new box will pop up and you then click on Tools and click on Error Checking. Tick both the boxes, "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors". Click Start and the computer will do the rest.
N.B. You will need at least 15% of free space on your memory to do this, so you may have to move a file or two out temporarily.

4. Once the above is completed, follow the same path, My Computer > Phone Memory > Properties > Tools and this time select Defragmentation. On the Defrag screen select your phones memory and, if desired, you can Analyze the memory first and then select Defragmentation. This will defrag the memory, which in my case was all over the shop.

When completed you can now safely disconnect your phone from the computer. Hopefully this will all help speed things up and help stop phone freezes/delays and crashes.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
defragging... its a blast from the past!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Defragging Solid State Drives is not only unnessasary but actually damaging