All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM

coscom is on a distinguished road
Advice for a Symbian newbie and upgrade advice?

I was wondering if someone here could direct me to web pages/sites for a Symbian newbie?

I'm currently considering upgrading from my HTC 8525 to the N97 however not having ever used the Symbian operating system I was wondering if any of you could direct me to information on this phone and operating system and any advice on whether it is a good phone to upgrade to?

For some background information I have been very happy with the 8525 over its lifetime and am really hoping to upgrade to something with the same functionality but a larger screen. In particular I need to be able to read emails and text messages, surf web pages and use logmein to remote control PC's, and also read e-books in various formats (pdf's, txt's, rtf's, lit's, doc's, etc.). I really want it to have a physical keyboard and a screen decently larger than the 8525's 2.8" screen. I'd also like to be able to play some bejewelled/popit type games and occasionally listen to mp3's but these are less critical.

I have been researching various cell phones as possible upgrades but haven't seemed to find anything that isn't a downgrade in one way or another. Specifically, my phone is on my company's AT&T account so many phones I've found aren't compatible with their 3G network (in particular the Touch Pro 2 and I hate to say it but I am getting sick of waiting for the AT&T version to come out). Then there is the Acer M900 which seemed perfect until I started reading about the extensive problems with it on its forums. Anyways, I'd be very greatfull if anyone could provide any advice on whether the N97 is a good choice to upgrade to or if there are any other phones that you could suggest?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
@coscom, there are some fairly significant problems with the N97 as well. If you can hang on until September there is rumoured to be a firmware update that should address many problems. If you can't wait until then, N86 or 5800 both appear to be less hassle than the N97.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Sadly neither the N86 nor the 5800 has a physical keyboard (which is one reason I decided against considering the iphone as well). I have been thoroughly amazed at how hard it is to find a true upgrade to my 8525 without having to give up major features like the keyboard.

Anyways, I thank you most sincerely for the heads up that the N97 is having major issues. I guess I just have to keep looking. Are there really no other phones out there that can meet my needs?
Ads

Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coscom View Post
Sadly neither the N86 nor the 5800 has a physical keyboard (which is one reason I decided against considering the iphone as well). I have been thoroughly amazed at how hard it is to find a true upgrade to my 8525 without having to give up major features like the keyboard.

Anyways, I thank you most sincerely for the heads up that the N97 is having major issues. I guess I just have to keep looking. Are there really no other phones out there that can meet my needs?
The E71 is great on the keyboard front, but the screen is too small. If you have your heart set on the N97 form factor I would really just wait it out. The N97 mini is supposed to announced soon, and the N97 should get fixes in the next 4 weeks.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile E90 !

4 inch inner display , 800 x 352 pix . Small outer display 240 x 320 pix . Mature stable software + Full Quickoffice (after free update) . CPU : ARM11 330Mhz + enhenced graphics . Full qwerty + many shortcuts .
Or the popular E71 (many forums)- very long battery life , but smaller screen .
Coming up soon its successor : E72 .

Regards jApi NL

Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the info, does the E90 work on AT&T's 850/1900 3G network? If it does then it sounds perfect!

I've seen the E71 but found the keyboard and display to be too small for my needs (kind of like the Blackberries). I simply never understood the attraction of the Blackberry form factor when sliders and flips could give much bigger displays and keyboards in a smaller footprint.

Thanks again for the info, I'll have to look up the E90.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
no the e90 does not support ATT's 3g network. it would be gsm/edge only, which is quite a waste if you ask me. i wouldnt go for the e90.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 AM

So it has the same problem as getting a forgien version of the TP2? That sucks. Oh well, by the way, is there a web page with the list of the current problems with the N97? I was kind of curious about comparing the N97's problems with the lists of problems with the other phones I've looked into getting. Anyways, thanks to everyone for the information and advice so far and thanks in advance for any further information and advice.