All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
32GB Micro SDHC on Nokia n97 Mini

Hi,

Is anyone successfully using a 32GB Micro SDHC card in an N97 Mini?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
Hi,

Is anyone successfully using a 32GB Micro SDHC card in an N97 Mini?
No, because they're not out yet. Due for release either 11th or 20th April AFAIK.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
It will only take a micro sd wont it? My classic will only take a micro thats for sure?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
The N97 takes a Micro 2GB SD or a 4GB SDHC, 8GB SDHC, 16GB SDHC and (in theory) a 32, GB SDHC memory card.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Was looking at getting a HTC Desire, and although it's a bit cheaper than what I paid for the N97, I would have to splash out on some flash memory, so priced up a 32gb SD card from Moby Memory. I usually use these guys, generally pretty good prices ( not the cheapest, but very close ) and their price for a 32GB SD ? ( Pre Order )

So, do I buy the HTC Desire then spend another 80+ quid on memory to get it near to what the N97 already has? Bearing in mind, now the 32gb card is reality, I could in theory get the N97 up to 64GB ( 32gb built in + 32 Gb Card ) . I don't actually need all of that space, but as the cliche goes - it's better to have and not need, than to need it and not have it?

Currently using around 15gb on the mass memory, which has ALL my music, a few vids, pics etc.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
So, do I buy the HTC Desire then spend another 80+ quid on memory to get it near to what the N97 already has? Bearing in mind, now the 32gb card is reality, I could in theory get the N97 up to 64GB ( 32gb built in + 32 Gb Card ) . I don't actually need all of that space, but as the cliche goes - it's better to have and not need, than to need it and not have it?

Currently using around 15gb on the mass memory, which has ALL my music, a few vids, pics etc.
Daft question here, and I don't know the answer...

Q: What effect (if any) do large capacity MicroSD cards have on battery consumption?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
The N97 takes a Micro 2GB SD or a 4GB SDHC, 8GB SDHC, 16GB SDHC and (in theory) a 32, GB SDHC memory card.

i.ve got a 16gb sd card in mine...

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bang bang boom View Post
i.ve got a 16gb sd card in mine...
How odd...!

Normally, 4GB and over, are HC (High Capacity) micro SD cards.

The data transfer rate on SDHC cards are higher I believe.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
How odd...!

That was going to be my next question. Is a type 2 card (which is what Moby Memory are offering) going to be fast enough to capture video and/or stream movies without skipping?

There were some interesting comparisons on Symbian-Guru.com a while ago that seemed to say that some of the slower cards could have quite an impact.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM

8Ball is on a distinguished road
Well, I've just tried out the HTC Desire and must admit I'm sold. I'll be getting rid of the N97 as soon as the new 32Gb memory is out. Currently I use about 24Gb of the onboard memory on my N97 so a 32Gb card is fine.

The Desire is faster, easier to use and the screen is fanatastic.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
what do you make of the camera and video capture compared to the n97? i don't use any of the fancy camera settting on the n97, just point and shoot really, but do take a alot of videos of my kids. how does the desire compare in this aspect?

i'm seriously thinking about the desire.....

Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
what do you make of the camera and video capture compared to the n97? i don't use any of the fancy camera settting on the n97, just point and shoot really, but do take a alot of videos of my kids. how does the desire compare in this aspect?

i'm seriously thinking about the desire.....

I tried a Desire for half an hour last week. It's a very nice machine that I would certainly have considered if it had the software I need for work (Android currently doesn't have a working syncml client or a fully working email client with IMAP Idle).

The still camera was definitely lower quality than the N97 mini indoors under quite bright fluorescent lights. I personally also dislike cameras where you have to touch the screen to trigger the shutter as I find it impossible to prevent the device from moving when I touch it. I much prefer a side shutter button as per every real camera in the world. In fact this is one of my gripes with the 3GS I have been using for the last 9 months. Your mileage may vary of course.

If you are looking for an Android phone with a good phone you might be better to wait for the Motorolla Motoroi. Apparently it should be out in the UK in the next few months and it has a good lense, 8mpx, and xenon flash. I have also read some reports that it captures HD video.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
I tried a Desire for half an hour last week. It's a very nice machine that I would certainly have considered if it had the software I need for work (Android currently doesn't have a working syncml client or a fully working email client with IMAP Idle).

The still camera was definitely lower quality than the N97 mini indoors under quite bright fluorescent lights. I personally also dislike cameras where you have to touch the screen to trigger the shutter as I find it impossible to prevent the device from moving when I touch it. I much prefer a side shutter button as per every real camera in the world. In fact this is one of my gripes with the 3GS I have been using for the last 9 months. Your mileage may vary of course.

If you are looking for an Android phone with a good phone you might be better to wait for the Motorolla Motoroi. Apparently it should be out in the UK in the next few months and it has a good lense, 8mpx, and xenon flash. I have also read some reports that it captures HD video.
Been looking at the Desire, but then was reading about the HTC EVO which seems higher spec phone

8mp camera
HDMI Out ( Desire has no TV Out )
4G - but of course , be a while before all the UK networks are 4G
Possible to use as wifi hotspot
Android
4.3" screen ?

I think I've had enough now with the N97, might even go back to my N95 for a while.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
How odd...!

you're right.. I've just checked it is sdhc.. The hc bit is smaller than the sd so i just assumed it was a standard sd card... I was bought direct off nokia.co.uk so i guess they know what they're talking about lol..

Will a 32gb card work in an N97?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Been looking at the Desire, but then was reading about the HTC EVO which seems higher spec phone

8mp camera
HDMI Out ( Desire has no TV Out )
4G - but of course , be a while before all the UK networks are 4G
Possible to use as wifi hotspot
Android
4.3" screen ?

I think I've had enough now with the N97, might even go back to my N95 for a while.
The Evo is a CDMA phone. Given that it has launched at the same time as the Desire I would say it's pretty unlikely that HTC will launch a GSM Evo in the near future.
Ads