All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-05-2010, 01:51 PM

DMB1 is on a distinguished road
New 97 Mini - Worth Debranding?

Hi all im new to this forum. Today i just purchased a brand new mini on vodafone. What i was wondering is it worth debranding and voiding the warranty as i want to use it on o2. I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything directly other than people bricking their phone.

What differences is there? Is it just the vodafone logo flashing up on start up?

Also can anyone recommend a case/cover to put on it. Sorry for the questions im a complete novice

Thanks

Mark

Old 21-05-2010, 02:36 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
If your phone is "locked" to Vodafone then I'm afraid that de-branding will not change that fact.

Old 21-05-2010, 02:50 PM

it can take an o2 sim, what im wondering is what all does the vodafone branding bring to the phone apart from on start up. Cheers for the reply by the way

Old 21-05-2010, 06:12 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB1 View Post
Hi all im new to this forum. Today i just purchased a brand new mini on vodafone. What i was wondering is it worth debranding and voiding the warranty as i want to use it on o2. I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything directly other than people bricking their phone.
You can de-brand either by changing the product code to Euro-1 then running NSU, or by using Phonix offline, but both methods invalidate the warranty.

Unless you have problems with the Vodafone FW, personally, I would leave it well alone.

Old 21-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
You can de-brand either by changing the product code to Euro-1 then running NSU, or by using Phonix offline, but both methods invalidate the warranty.

Unless you have problems with the Vodafone FW, personally, I would leave it well alone.
Cheers mate

Old 22-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Flip95 is on a distinguished road
debrand it!

i'm a big fan of debranding.

I can't comment on the vodaphone variant of the firmware on the n97, however, on previous handsets the orange variants were buggy to say the least.

I'd guess that this was because they were based on the first release of the firmware.

Basically, if you change your product code you'll get the latest and greatest firmware from nokia and you wont have to wait for vodaphone.

New firmwares tend to improve performance.

You can check which version you are on by typing *#0000# on the phone dialer. Latest versions are listed somewhere in this forum.

Downside is that you will invalidate your guarantee / warantee. Then again, if you have phone insurance, do you need the guarantee?

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will help you debrand.
Ads

Old 23-05-2010, 09:14 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip95 View Post
i'm a big fan of debranding.

I can't comment on the vodaphone variant of the firmware on the n97, however, on previous handsets the orange variants were buggy to say the least.

I'd guess that this was because they were based on the first release of the firmware.

Basically, if you change your product code you'll get the latest and greatest firmware from nokia and you wont have to wait for vodaphone.
It's been quite a while since the V21 FW was released, so i would hope Vodafone has caught up by now. I would rather run the latest Nokia FW as network branded and keep my warranty.

However, to clarify on branded FW vs Generic Nokia FW... There are numerous files (6+) in a firmware update and the network companies only get to modify the ones affecting user-data (pre-loaded branded-apps, op logos etc) and the menu layout and available menu options. Although a network's pre-loaded apps could cause some instability if poorly tested, and some default functions can be hidden/disabled in branded FW, the main firmware files are all identical to the generic nokia one.